1Password 8.10.44 Not Starting and Showing in the Menu Bar At Machine Startup/Login [Known Issue]

theengine
theengine
Community Member
edited September 16 in Mac

Title says it all.

On MacOS 14.6.1 and 1Password 8.10.44.

Menu bar issues have been common with recent 1Password updates. As a l long term user (10 years) I remember when 1Password just worked, mostly, but now issues are more and more frequent.

My subscription is due for renewal at the start of next year, and if i keep having issues and having to send in log reports to get my issues resolved, then I will look elsewhere.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited September 16

Hello @theengine! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password for Mac isn't starting when you start your Mac. I've reproduced the same issue here on my end and the good news is that a fix is already being tested by our developers. Hopefully the fix makes it to the stable version soon.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member

Thank you for the prompt answer and fix, Dave.
    I'll wait for the next stable version. Do you have any idea when it will be released? Could it be "hurried out" to resolve this issue?

• migrant
    migrant
    Community Member

I have the same issue. If possible, please release a fixed version ASAP. It's really annoying.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 16

@theengine and @migrant

The team is currently testing a fix, when testing is complete we hope to include it in the stable version as soon as possible.

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

-Dave

• IMAWriterRobJ
    IMAWriterRobJ
    Community Member

Hi,
    been a 1Password user about a decade, I believe. I have PCMatic installed on our 2 PC's, and decided to install on my early 2018 iMac. However, once I did a scan, my 1Password, which is set to load upon starting up my iMac, is no longer instantiating a startup. I now have to go to Applications and start 1Password that way. I get no messages at all. PC Matic said to put a check mark on "Notifications>Display", which I did. Still, no instantiation of 1Password at iMac startup. Any suggestions? Thanks much!

1Password Version: 8.10.44
    OS Version: MacOs 13.6
    Browser: Chrome

• @IMAWriterRobJ

I'm sorry that 1Password isn't launching at startup. This is a known issue that our development team is aware of. Please see my post here for details.

Let me know if you have any questions at this time.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#32566

• IMAWriterRobJ
    IMAWriterRobJ
    Community Member

Thanks much Dave. It's no biggie to go to applications and click on it.
    Cheers,
    RJ

• Thanks again for reporting the issue, hopefully the fix will reach the stable version soon. 🙂

-Dave

• edweb
    edweb
    Community Member

Hello

OS 14.6.9, 1Password V. 8.10.44

Since updating the App to its latest version the App will NOT startup on system startup. It is registered and active under the App's "login items" (see screenshot), but every time system starts up I have to manually launch 1Password.

To note is that the App is also NOT showing under Mac OS system settings "open at login", and that it cannot be added manually, either.......

On a related note, it is rather annoying having to input the App password on EVERY system launch, even on the same device......surely there's a way that 1Password can remember a device ID with login info......?

Thanks for any guidance / feedback.

OS Version: MacOS 14.6.9
    Browser: Not Provided

• Dave_1P
    edited September 23

@edweb

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, our developers are aware that 1Password isn't starting when the Mac starts and a fix is planned as soon as possible. Please see this post for details.

I've merged your post into the existing thread for the issue.

To note is that the App is also NOT showing under Mac OS system settings "open at login", and that it cannot be added manually, either.......

It's normal for 1Password not to show up under "Open at Login". It uses a different method to start at login.

On a related note, it is rather annoying having to input the App password on EVERY system launch, even on the same device......surely there's a way that 1Password can remember a device ID with login info......?

I recommend enabling Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock so that you don't have to unlock the app using your account password all the time:

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• edweb
    edweb
    Community Member

Thank you for the feedback, Dave. Let's hope a fix will be available soon.

I don't have Touch ID nor do I use an Apple Watch.....

• @edweb

The team hopes to fix the issue as soon as possible.

I don't have Touch ID nor do I use an Apple Watch.....

Without Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock, you'll need to enter your account password after restarting your Mac. This is done so that your account password isn't stored on the hard disk itself where other apps (or malware) might be able to find it. When using Touch ID or Apple Watch, 1Password is able to securely store the decryption secret in the Secure Enclave so that it can persist even between reboots: About the security of using Touch ID or Apple Watch to unlock 1Password for Mac

-Dave

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

19,1 iMac, Sequoia15, 1P refuses to start at login. It's been happening all month. Bet my auto annual charge will work on the 30th.

• @blackxacto

I'm sorry for the frustration. The team is aware of an issue where 1Password for Mac won't start at login on Intel-based Macs, Apple Silicon Macs aren't affected. The fix is already available in the beta version if you'd like to get your hands on it faster: Use 1Password beta releases

Once testing of the fix in the beta is complete, it'll be included in an update to the production version as soon as possible.

-Dave

• miiaow
    miiaow
    Community Member
    edited September 26
    • both "start at login" and "keep 1password in the menu bar" are enabled
    • launcher seems to be having problems:

• running the launcher manually gives error message about cpu:

my cpu is intel, running sequoia on oclp

Extension Version: 8.10.46.26
    OS Version: macOS 15.0
    Browser: Brave

• @miiaow

I'm sorry for the interruption to your workflow. This is a known issue that the team is working to fix, please see my comment here.

-Dave

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member

I have app installed, but not browser extension. When I hit the first page that needs a password and press CMD+\, I'm expecting the 1Password unlock dialog, but nothing happens. I have to open the 1Password app to log in.

I've found that as long as 1Password is running in the menu bar, it works. (I can close main app, lock 1Password via the menu bar, then when I use CMD+\ at a login prompt, I do get the 1Password unlock dialog. But if I quit the menu bar, I won't.)

So, it looks like the problem is that 1Password is not starting automatically on my system. The icon appears in the menu bar only after the first time that I manually launch 1Password. (It will continue running when I quit the 1Password main app.)

In 1Password Settings > General I have checked both "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" and "Start at login." Is there anything else I need to do?

I can manually add this to my Login items to see if that solves it, though I don't think that is how most apps start automatically.

I suppose it's also possible that if I installed Safari extension, it would either launch the menubar app or handle this unlock problem in some other way. But I choose to not use the extension.

It's worth pointing out that I am running Monterey.

Thanks.

Extension Version: None
    OS Version: macOS 12.7.5
    Browser: Safari 17.3

• Hello everyone,

Our developers have released a new update with a fix for an issue when 1Password for Mac wouldn't start at login on Intel Macs. You can find instructions on how to update here:

If you can still reproduce the issue after updating 1Password for Mac to 8.10.46 then let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member

I don't reboot too often. Last time I rebooted, after updating to 8.10.46, 1Password did nicely start automatically.

But tonight, it didn't, and I had to launch the desktop app manually.

I see 8.10.48 is now available, so next time I reboot I will check again.

• @Tonetony

If you see the issue again after restarting then let me know and I can help further. 🙂

-Dave