Passkey and OTP autofill

chillhoof
chillhoof
Community Member

Hi all,

when using Passkeys I am encountering a select few websites (PayPal, Amazon) that require an OTP on top of the Passkey. While I guess this is not how it should be implemented it is unfortunately an existing use case.

My problem is that 1Password does not autofill the OTP when signing in with a passkey. It doesn't even copy the OTP to clipboard. I have to manually fill it. Behavior can be reproduced on both Safari (iOS) and Firefox (Windows).

I saw posts dating back to early 2023 requesting this feature. Is this still in development?

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited October 7

Hello @chillhoof! 👋

1Password uses the iOS native filling feature to fill your username and password into apps and you can have 1Password automatically copy your one-time password for an app or website to the clipboard so that you can paste it into the app when filling your login information:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings.
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Turn on "Copy One-Time Passwords".
    5. Go back to Settings.
    6. Tap Notifications.
    7. Turn on "One-Time Passwords".

Then fill a username/password into the app again. You should see a notification that 1Password has copied the one-time password to your clipboard. You can then paste the one-time password into the app: Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

When it comes to the website you can use our extension for Safari which does have the ability to fill the one-time password: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

-Dave

• chillhoof
    chillhoof
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P ,

thank you for your qick reply.

Your suggested settings work perfectly fine when using regular username/password + OTP.
    Unfortunately they do not work when using Passkey + OTP instead.

This can be reproduced for both iOS and Windows (Firefox).
    When you input the Passkey the OTP is neither filled automatically nor copied to clipboard.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 9

@chillhoof

Thank you for the reply. I've done some more testing and I'm able to reproduce the issue that you've described on both iOS and on Windows. I see that our developers are already tracking this and hopefully it'll be fixed in a future update to 1Password.

Note: On Windows, 1Password won't copy the one-time password to the clipboard but it should fill it automatically after using your passkey and that's the bug that the development team is investigating.

For the time being, you'll need to manually copy your one-time password from 1Password and paste it into a website after using your passkey: Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#31494
    ref: dev/core/core#24349

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

I've run into this problem with Amazon. I've had to go back to 1Password and copy the OTP and paste it in when logging in with passkey. Nice to see you guys are already on top of this.

• @mirv

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully the issue can be fixed soon.

-Dave