Silent failures (Firefox, Windows)

I've finally grown tired enough of this silent failure loop to post about it. Not that I expect an immediate resolution, as I'm also still having the Firefox issue where 1P pops up a login prompt for pages I'm already logged into, and that's been open for plenty of time.

Anyway, once again I'm getting the unhelpful error message when I try to unlock 1P via Microsoft Single-Sign On that it cannot resolve my account. So I restart the app, and nothing. I open the app on my phone and it doesn't help. Finally, I log into the 1P website itself (something which should be entirely unrelated to the sign-in process) and I get a two-digit code sent to my phone's authentication app. The phone doesn't receive it the first time, because that would be too easy. I have to try the page a second time and then the phone gets the prompt. I enter the code and finally I'm in.

The causes for these silent failures need to be made clear to the user. If you need some kind of passcode re-authentication through the phone, then just prompt for it. Don't put up misleading and uninformative error messages in the desktop app that makes the user wonder where things are going awry. If it needs app authentication then launch the workflow to make it happen, don't just fail and leave it to the user to work out your shoddy coding.

Once again I have to regret that my organization chose this tool as their single password solution versus other ones out there. It's clear to me that the software is not mature, and that the developers lack either the talent or the motivation to make the user experience what it should be. And I say this as someone who has been developing software for decades.

Sorry for the tone of this post, but I'm angry at being forced to use a tool which often makes my work day more frustrating, not less so.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.46
Extension Version: 8.10.46.26
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello, @DrLabRat. Thank you for your reply. I sincerely apologize for any interruption to your workflow.

So that the team can take a closer look at the issues you’re experiencing, I’d like to request that you send us some information to support+forum@1Password.com. With your email, please include the following:

1. First, please recreate the issue you are experiencing.
    2. Generate a diagnostic report from the 1Password app and the 1Password extension using the steps here -> How to send a 1Password diagnostics report
    3. Attach both files to your email.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here, and I will be able to locate your message and ensure it has reached the right place. Thank you!

-Evon

• DrLabRat
    DrLabRat
    Community Member

Thanks, I'll try to capture the info next time it happens and send in a ticket. I expect it will rear its head when the MFA token lapses again.

• Thank you, the team and I will keep an eye out for your email. 🙂

-Dave