1Password Extension Does Not Unlock

Joelc
Joelc
Community Member
edited October 21 in 1Password in the Browser

I changed from an Apple Keyboard with TouchID to a Logitech Keyboard without TouchID. I now need to unlock 1Password / 1Password for Safari extension with a password rather than TouchID.

Pressing on the 1Password for Safari Extension icon and entering the 1Password password fails (i.e., 1Password for Safari Extension does not unlock). The following error message is noted:

The only way of unlocking the 1Password for Safari Extension is to unlock 1Password which in turn unlocks the 1Password for Safari Extension. The is a PITA.

Worth noting:

• I am running macOS Sequoia version 15.0.1, 1Password version 8.10.48 and 1Password for Safari Extension 8.10.46.34.

• I do have the 1Password for Safari Extension settings set to "Integrate this extension with 1Password desktop app"

The Ask: Please help me get the 1Password for Safari Extension to "unlock directly" (i.e., by entering the 1Password password).

Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.10.48
Extension Version: 8.10.46.34
OS Version: macOS 15.0.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @Joelc! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to unlock 1Password for Safari. Can you tell me if you're using Lockdown Mode on your Mac, you can find more information here: About Lockdown Mode - Apple Support (CA)

If you're not using Lockdown Mode then can you try uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password for Safari:

If that doesn't work then let me know.

-Dave

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Appreciate the fast response noting:

1. I am not using Lockdown mode.

2. I am not sure that I am using the Mac App Store version. I think I am using the version downloaded directly from yoru site. Does that change things?

3. Is 1Password (i.e., the app), 1Password fr Safari (i.e., the extension) or both that you want me uninstall and reinstall?

4. Will uninstall / reinstall process delete or maintain my settings?

Thank you.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 18

@Joelc

Thanks for the reply. I suggest that you try reinstalling 1Password for Safari (the browser extension) using the steps in my previous post. Reinstalling the browser extension will require that you set any settings for the browser extension that you might have previously set before. Your saved passwords and other items are saved to your 1Password account and will appear again once you've reinstalled the extension and signed in again.

If that doesn't work then can you check your Safari settings and tell me the following:

1. Under Safari > Settings > Security, do you have Javascript enabled or disabled?
    2. Under Safari > Settings > Advanced, do you have "Block all cookies" enabled or disabled?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#32589

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Appreciate the response:

I uninstalled / installed 1Password for Safari (the browser extension) and note the following:

1. The problem remains, it is not fixed.

2. Safari > Settings > Security Java script is enabled.

3. Safari > Settings > Advanced "Black all cookies" is disabled (i.e., not ticked).

Worth noting TouchID works fine with 1Password for Safari.

Please advise as to next steps.

Thank you.

Joel

PS. On a slightly related point, is there a link that details the 1Password for Safari "Autofill & Save" and "Notifications" settings?

• @Joelc

I'm sorry that you're still seeing the issue. We've received a few other reports of the same error messages and the team is working to narrow down the cause. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from 1Password in your browser:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (browser extension)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/148702/1password-extension-does-not-unlock
    • Your forum username: Joelc

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

PS. On a slightly related point, is there a link that details the 1Password for Safari "Autofill & Save" and "Notifications" settings?

Most of the options on those pages will include a description underneath the setting. Is there a particular setting that you'd like to see a more in-depth explanation of?

-Dave

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

From your bot: Your support ticket ID is WNB-48452-653

I look forward to your response.

Thank you.

PS. Questions on the settings in process.

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Apologies for what may appear to be naive / stupid questions but I want to make sure I have my 1Password for Safari settings tweaked:

Autofill & Save:

• Show autofill suggestions when a form file in focus means fill in form values from 1Password when a form's field is selected?

• Offer to save items in autofill suggestions means offer to save form field information that is not currently in 1Password when a form field is selected?

• Offer to save and sign in with passkeys means offer to create / save a passkey and offer to login with a passkey when a website is passkey enabled?

• Stop competing "sign-in with" pop-ups in the browser means when 1Password recognized the URL then sign with ApplePay / Google / Etc. will not appear?

Notifications:

• Allow 1Password to show system notifications means allow 1Password to indicate / place a red dot beside 1Password for Safari's "circle icon" to indicate that a notification exists?

+++++++++

Huge thanks in advance for the responses.

• @Joelc

I'm replying to your email at the moment but wanted to answer your autofill/notification settings questions in this thread for the community. 👋

Autofill and save:

• Show autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus

This is a good setting to have on if you want to use the inline menu quicker than manually clicking the 1Password icon in a form field. Here's a video of the difference.

• Offer to save items in autofill suggestions

This adds the "Save in 1Password" option to the inline menu. Turning this off removes that option and you would need to use the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar > Right-click > Save > Choose option instead. Here's a video of the difference.

• Offer to save and sign in with passkeys

Correct!

• Stop competing “sign-in with“ pop-ups in the browser

It means you won't get a pop up from your browser's native password manager asking to save the password. Here's a helpful Reddit post that talks about the differences.

Notifications:

• Allow 1Password to show system notifications

This is mostly for SSO related accounts and if your account doesn't sign in with SSO, having this on or off won't affect anything. If you use SSO and have this setting on, 1Password will be allowed to prompt verification code to sign in.

Hope this helps!

Josh

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member

@josh.d_1p

Appreciate the responses over the weekend noting:

1. The above clarifications are great! Very helpful!

2. Will respond to your related e-mail momentarily, stay tuned.

Thanks.

• @Joelc

Thank you for replying to Josh's email, Josh will send you another reply via email as soon as possible. To prevent having the same conversation in two places at once, I'll close this thread.

-Dave

ref: WNB-48452-653

This discussion has been closed.