Master Password not accepted when first installing 1Password 4 for iOS

Options
Michael Finney
Michael Finney
Community Member
edited September 2013 in iOS

Hi!

I upgraded my iphone 4 to an iphone 5. Things worked fine on the iphone 4. I had to redownload my apps. I downloaded 1password and dropbox. 1Password asked for permission from dropbox and I allowed it. The problem is that I am not getting the welcome screen as described in the following: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

Instead I get a screen asking for the password. I try the password that I use for my desktop's 1password and it doesn't work on the phone. I have done everything I can think of to get that welcome screen. I have shut off icloud, deleted dropbox from the phone, redownloaded the 1password ios app and still it asks me for a passoword as if things are set up.

I am at my wits end.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for any confusion, Michael. That link is for the old version of 1Password for iOS. The User Guide is still available online for it, but the User Guide for the current version of 1Password for iOS (version 4) is available here:

1Password 4 for iOS Guide

The first thing I would have suggested is to try the Master Password you use for the desktop version of 1Password. It is now the same across iOS and Mac/Windows:

If you have 1Password on your computers, 1Password 4 will use the master password of that 1Password app on the computer and that’ll be the same master password everywhere. Note that if you change your master password in 1Password 4 for iOS, it’ll sync the change to your computers as well as other iOS devices.

If you're still having trouble, please try following these steps to reset your iCloud data:

Resetting your 1Password data on iCloud

It sounds like you might have tried that, but from your description it sounds like perhaps you actually just turned off iCloud without resetting the data on it. Also, if by "deleted Dropbox from the phone" you mean that you removed the Dropbox app from your device, that will never be necessary. 1Password never uses the Dropbox mobile app. All Dropbox syncing is performed within the 1Password app. iOS apps are sandboxed, so one app on your device will never have any effect on another.

Please let me know how it goes.

• Michael Finney
    Michael Finney
    Community Member
    Options

(I know this is an old post, but I'm a busy person. Also, this became really important suddenly. )

I looked and confirmed I have no 1Password iCloud data.

I deleted the 1Password app and redownloaded it. I tried the master password and I cannot get into it. I don't know how it knows about dropbox on the iPhone, but it is there.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting access to your database on iOS. I'm curious, does your Master Password contain any special characters (like accented or cyrillic)? The iOS app could have trouble with these - we generally recommend using only ASCII characters for your password.

• Michael Finney
    Michael Finney
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Thanks for your prompt reply. No it does not. BTW, I am now using 1Passwordanywhere which helps a lot. I still want iOS working of course. However, things a little better. :)

• Michael Finney
    Michael Finney
    Community Member
    Options

What does normal look like with the iOS app? It's not supposed to ask me for a password when I first open it after downloading it. Right?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael,

I'm glad to hear that 1Password Anywhere is making your life slightly easier while we work to get this sorted out!

1Password 4 is set to automatically detect if you have data stored in either iCloud or Dropbox. If it detects data in either location, it will simply ask for your Master Password to unlock that data. So, the app is behaving as expected since it is noticing your Dropbox data. However, I'm slightly confused as to why you are able to use 1Password Anywhere and yet the iOS app won't accept your Master Password.

Are you currently using multiple vaults in 1Password 4 for Mac? Because multiple vaults are a Mac-only feature right now, we don't recommend syncing multiple vaults via Dropbox at this time if you are also using 1Password 4 for iOS.

If you're not using multiple vaults, I would like you to check in your Dropbox folder and see if you might have more than one 1Password.agilekeychain file in there. If so, this is probably the culprit. I'd be happy to help you sort out which one is your active keychain if this is the case. :)

• Michael Finney
    Michael Finney
    Community Member
    Options

No, I am not using multiple vaults. I have one folder named "1Password.agilekeychain"

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael,

I'll admit, you have me a bit stumped. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Andrew Mills
    Andrew Mills
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I seem to be having this exact same problem. I have gone through all the steps listed here, but no luck. Could you please help me find a solution?
    Thanks
    Andrew

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Andrew,

I'd be happy to help you get this sorted out, but I will need a bit more information here in order to ensure you get the instructions that you need.

• What version of 1Password do you currently have installed on your iOS device? Please include the version number of your operating system.
    • Do you use 1Password on any other computers or devices? (If so, please include the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems?
    • What are you using to sync your data?

The more detail you can provide about your situation, the more quickly we'll be able to find a solution! :)

• hdjones
    hdjones
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I am new to 1Password and have gotten things working on my iMac desktop pretty well. I just bought the iOS app for my iPad and iPod Touch and synced my info via wifi. When I opened the app on my iPad it asked for my master password but didn't recognize the one I set up on my iMac. After several attempts it gave me a password hint that I don't recognize. Please help...thanks!

• hdjones
    hdjones
    Community Member
    Options

To answer Megan's questions to Andrew above:
    My iOS 1Password version is 4.3.2
    My iOS version is 7.0.4
    I use 1 Password on my desktop iMac (OS X v 10.9.1; 1Password v 4.1.2) and am planning to also use it on my iPod touch (iOS v 7.0.4a and 1Password v 4.1.2)
    I'm using wifi to sync my data
    Thanks again!

• hdjones
    hdjones
    Community Member
    Options

So I think my problem was solved by reinstalling the 1Password app. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hdjones,

I'm so glad to hear that you got yourself all sorted out, although I'm sorry that we weren't able to respond in time to be of any help! Please do let us know if you run into any further snags :)

This discussion has been closed.