Dropbox Syncing with 1Password 3 for iOS and 1Password for Windows

Options
emervf
emervf
Community Member
edited September 2013 in iOS

Hi! Thanks for the great apps of the 1Password family, for their ease of use and of sync that I have appreciated and recommended a lot.

I have been less contented in the last days though. I have been using a mix of 1P for Win / 1P3 for IOS since last year and got a big (and frustrating) surprise lately. On my desktop app I created in August account passwords for my bank/ insurance web site (travel money exchange). Everything was there, the user names, security codes (20 digits!). I made sure it had synced with DB (checked in the Dropbox local folder for modif dates) before leaving (Aug 28) for travel with only my iPad 1. I expected it to have access to my new account information but I got blasted when I launched the app (sept 6). I tried to sync but got error messages that hadn't happened before. No sync.

I needed account info to set up a money transfer for an hotel and car rental and the info was not there. I had to call someone back home, ask to go to my place, disclose both my desktop login password and my 1P master password over the phone so he could get inside and retrieve my security code that the bank never gives over the phone. My trusting being somewhat limited, I changed many passwords after coming back that I had memorized over the years because I had to say my master password aloud on the phone in a foreign hotel!

What are my options if I want to keep syncing my Win app with the iPad? Thank you in advance. A straight answer will help my decide if I will still be using 1P on the iPad and Windows.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sincere apologies for the trouble, @emervf. We sent out the message in the app many weeks ago and posted information about the change on our blog, but I am sorry you didn't get the notification until it was too late. Here are the complete details of the change that Dropbox made which affected 1Password 3 for iOS:

If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

Since your device can’t use iOS 6, your best solution for sync would be to use Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. However, if you are only syncing with Windows, that does pose a problem since Windows does not provide the necessary components for 1Password's Wi-Fi syncing.

We’re very sorry that Dropbox is retiring its original sync service and how it is affecting you. If it can help, I’d like to explain a little about why it’s doing this.

The service that Dropbox is retiring is now over six years old. Like Apple, Dropbox is quickly innovating its products. Sometimes, that means a company needs to retire legacy services in order to continue providing the best products possible.

Unfortunately, because you are unable to use 1Password 4 for iOS due to your device not being compatible with iOS 6, and you do not have a Mac to use Wi-Fi Sync with, we don’t have a solution for you to continue to sync your 1Password data. For this, we are terribly sorry.

Right now, your best solution is to simply backup your 1Password 3 for iOS data using 1Password Backup & Restore. Please note that the file created in this process can only be restored to 1Password 3 for iOS. It is not a syncable file with any other other version of 1Password. The following guide will help you backup your data:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but I hope this information allows you to make an informed decision about your next move. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

• emervf
    emervf
    Community Member
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you for the reply and explanation.

I'm sorry for the business you guys will lose because of this mess. All the extra features were nice but the bread and potato in your product is the ability to sync seamlessly (that only the DropBox integration permitted). Having to manually sync via Wi-Fi (which I can't even do) seems a pain.

Looks like I'm done for! Will it is possible for me to export my data (accounts usernames and password) to say a txt or csv file so I can transfer them into another software?

Thanks again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can export the data from 1Password for Windows, but since Dropbox has ceased support for their old sync service, any data on your iOS device will obviously not be synced for the export. If you want to make sure you get all of your data exported, your best bet is to get access to a Mac and Wi-Fi sync it to 1Password for Mac and then export from there.

If you have a friend with a Mac, you can create a new user account in OS X in which to perform the operation. Then delete the account and all its data when you are done. That will probably be the cleanest way to do it on a Mac that is not your own.

I understand how this sounds, and, again, I truly apologize. I wish there was another way. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with, though.

This discussion has been closed.