Lost PIN Code

parekh
parekh
Community Member
edited September 2013 in iOS

Yesterday I got a letter from my bank informing me of my new PIN code for my debit card, so I launched 1Password on my iPhone and changed the bank account PIN (wallet items > bank accounts). I then went to the ATM to test out my new card; at the ATM I fired up 1Password on my iPhone, entered the PIN and withdrew some cash. Thinking that everything was alright, when I got back home I threw away the letter from my bank.

Today as I was in line at the grocery store checkout, I fired up 1Password on my iPhone to look up my PIN code. But for some reason, it showed me my old PIN code (from before the change). Not having any cash on me, I was unable to pay for my groceries. Fortunately after I got back home, I was able to retrieve the bank letter from my garbage. Nevertheless it was a disappointing experience.

I think I know how this happened. So yesterday I changed the PIN on my iPhone but 1Password on my Mac still had the old PIN. Later at night, I logged on to 1Password on my Mac (which still had the old PIN), and I added a note to the entry. Then after a Dropbox sync, I have the old PIN plus the note on all my devices.

EDIT: Sorry if the above account is confusing. Here is what happened in chronological order:

1. I received a letter from my bank informing me of a new PIN code for my debit card.
  2. I launch 1Password on my iPhone and changed the bank account PIN (wallet items > bank accounts).
  3. I go to the ATM and 1Password on my iPhone shows me the correct PIN (the new one).
  4. I open 1Password on my Mac, and add a note to the same entry.
  5. After a dropbox sync, I have the old PIN plus the note on all my devices.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reporting this, @parekh. I'm sorry that you had some trouble. I'm trying to distill this into a set of reproducible steps so that we can see if there is something we need to fix in 1Password.

Here is what I tried:

1. Update PIN number for a Credit Card (i.e. ATM card) item in 1Password on my iPhone.
    2. 1Password for Mac still shows the old PIN because Dropbox hasn't synced yet.
    3. Once Dropbox has synced the new PIN is showing in both places.

It sounds like your experience is different, but could you help me reproduce this? I'm wondering if I am missing a step or if there is something else happening in your case. Any further details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member

I haven't tried to reproduce it yet (I'll try to do that sometime this week), but it looks like the procedure you listed is missing a step. Between step 2 and step 3, you need to add a note (or make some other edit) to the Mac entry before the Dropbox sync occurs.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @parekh,

I'd like you to run another sync on your iPhone to make sure that your data is up to date. Are you still seeing the old PIN code in your bank account entry and not the new? If so, please see if you can find an entry that includes "conflict" in the title. Because two different changes were made at essentially the same time (as far as the sync is concerned), if the conflicting data could not be reconciled or merged, it will create a separate entry, so that one entry has the new note, and the other has the new PIN code.

If this is not the case, please let us know!

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member
    edited September 2013

Even after forcing a dropbox sync on the iPhone, I was still seeing the old PIN (I know this because forced a sync as I was waiting in line at the grocery store!). After I went home, I once again manually entered the new PIN in place of the old one. A search for the word "conflict" yields no results in 1Password on my Mac or iPhone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @parekh,

Thanks for checking that for me. It sounds like 1Password 4 on your iOS may have resolved the conflict in this case, and just used the newer data from your Mac instead of combining the two. We've made great improvements to conflict resolution in 1Password 4, so once 1Password 4 is released for Mac this should be a lot less of an issue. (It's coming soon, I promise!) In the meantime though, I would be careful to ensure that a sync has occurred before editing the same entry on multiple devices.

Now, just to confirm that there's nothing wonky going on in your system, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member

Thanks for working with me on this. In future I will try to make sure that a sync has happened before editing new entries (but sometimes it's hard to remember!). Anyway, I'll send that report as soon as possible - but it'll take me a few days because my Mac is currently at the apple store.

• Hi @parekh - Thank you for working with us :) We will keep our eyes out for your report - hopefully your computer is feeling better soon!

This discussion has been closed.