Vaults Feedback & Suggestion

Options
36degrees
36degrees
Community Member

Hi,

I've been playing with 1Password for all of about ten minutes, and it's a great upgrade so far, but one issue that really stands out is knowing what preferences are specific to the vault you are currently using, and what preferences are 'global'.

For example, going through the preferences tab by tab;

• General – These all look to be global preferences
  • Security – I guess that the master password is for this individual vault, but the rest of the preferences are global?
  • Browser – Presumably these are all global?
  • Sync – These must be vault specific, but it's not 100% clear
  • Backup – I have no idea???
  • Advanced – Presumably global?

My suggestion would be to split the vault specific preferences out into their own dialog, and perhaps link to it from down by the trash icon or something (as well as a separate entry in the File menu). This would make it clear under what context you are configuring things, and perhaps clear up some of the confusion over e.g. how you sync an individual vault (as it would become obvious that sync is configured on a per-vault basis)

It would also provide an ideal place to allow the user to change the name, colour and icon of their vaults, as as far as I can tell there's currently no way to do this once a vault has been created.

Comments

• 36degrees
    36degrees
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I was looking for a way to move items between vaults, and have managed to find the Item > Share > [Vault] menu option, but it only seems to be able to copy one item at a time – if you have multiple items selected it only copies one of them. Please tell me there's a better way for me to split out my personal / work entries rather than one at a time??!

• Hi @36degrees,

Great feedback, thank you. I'll file an improvement request to include visual clues which preferences are global and specific to the vault.

The syncing preferences are definitely specific to your current vault. The rest are generally global.

It would also provide an ideal place to allow the user to change the name, colour and icon of their vaults, as as far as I can tell there's currently no way to do this once a vault has been created.

The ability to customize your secondary vaults are planned, it should come in a future update.

Please tell me there's a better way for me to split out my personal / work entries rather than one at a time??!

Not at the moment, we are working out the details of how this will work better in a future free update. I apologize for the current limitation but we'll get it improved, so that you can select multiple items to export to the second vault.

• deadlyhifi
    deadlyhifi
    Community Member
    Options

Some great ideas by @36degress there. I would also suggest being able to sync items between vaults.

I have created a separate vault for my wife's logins, which she will have access to on her iPhone (dropbox shared folders). We share some accounts, amazon shopping etc. so it would be great if we could have a login that spanned the two vaults and updated in each if it was changed in either.

• jdanish
    jdanish
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with @36degrees - I'd really like to sync across the vaults. Alternatively or along with this, it'd help a lot of the "favorites" list and / browser search for a login checked all vaults maybe starting with the current. So, for example, I'd like to favorite my shared amazon account and have access to it even when I'm in my non-shared vault. And when I go to Amazon, I'd like to see that I can pick between the non-shared pwd, and the shared one. Otherwise it basically is just adding a lot of clicks to have shared vaults. Thank!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followups, guys.

Here are a few other topics with questions, suggestions, and discussions about vault sharing:

We hear ya! :)

As @roustem mentioned in that last topic:

We are definitely looking for more feedback on how to make it better.

This discussion has been closed.