Slower / harder access to logins from Safari extension

Options
FragileBits
FragileBits
Community Member

I'm very disappointed with the new style Safari extension, which now forces you, after clicking on the key icon, to:

1) select Logins (by mousing over it from the initial dropdown menu), and then
2) shift your mouse over the right before allowing you to scroll through your list of logins.

Previously (3.x), you could simply click the key to gain fast, direct, scrollable access to your list of logins.

Given that most people most of the time will be using the extension to gain direct access to sites via stored logins, I can't understand why you have more than doubled the amount of time and effort required for such an essential / core action.

Could you perhaps create a customisation option that restores something more akin to the previous layout?

Comments

• Hi @FragileBits,

Are you talking about just going through the list of Logins to browse through it or are you referring to 1Password showing you the list of Logins on the site you're on? 1Password should be doing the latter, showing you the list of Logins right away if you're on a site already, like in this screenshot:

Most folks usually do not scroll through all of their saved Logins to find what they're looking for, they usually search for it right away since it's much faster.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FragileBits,

Thanks for the feedback on our new extension. We're always looking for ways to make 1Password as user-friendly as possible, and that certainly includes getting you where you want to be in as few clicks as possible! To access a login, try this:

• Hit Cmd-Opt-\ to open 1Password Mini
    • Start typing the title of your login
    • Hit enter to login automatically

This workflow should keep you from having to mouse through a long list of logins (which you're right, is no fun!)

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike & Megan and thank you very much for your replies.

To clarify / confirm, I was referring to going through the list of Logins to browse through it.

I have to say that I disagree strongly with your joint suggestion that typing into a search box is better.

I find it VERY much easier and faster (though less so now, as you've made it slower / harder) to just click the extension button and browse through the full list in order to navigate between and log in to my regularly used sites.

I can do this with one hand staying put on my mouse, whilst the other sits idle (or stuffs my face with snacks). Scrolling is super-fast and easy with a scroll wheel and I usually fly through my routine of logging in and out of these various sites without needing to touch the keyboard even once.

Typing into a search box for each site would be FAR less convenient and incredibly slow in comparison.

My feedback / issue is that something so basic that was previously so super-easy is now less so, due to the new method of accessing the list of Logins.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed this too and I agree it's a slight downgrade in usability. Like you, FragileBits, I scrolled down the list using my trackpad.

I don't understand why Software Licenses are in the list, how often do you need to look those up?

• skopcho
    skopcho
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to agree with MikeT and Megan that always scrolling through your full list of logins (my list is pretty long) to sign in seems like a slower method in general. You might be used to it, but I would guess that you're in the minority there. It can't hurt to try new input methods, and keyboard shortcuts are almost always much faster than using a mouse. With one hand on the keyboard, I can invoke 1P mini from the menubar, type the first couple letters of a site, then hit enter and be done. It might take a little practice, but I can't really see how this would be slower than moving your mouse to a point and then scrolling past the same items every time you want to log in. Unless perhaps you only have a few logins. Maybe give Megan's suggestion a shot for a couple days and see how it works for you?

All that said, moving your mouse down to the login section and over to the right can be nearly as fast, it just takes overwriting your existing muscle memory.

• Hi guys,

@fragilebits,

I find it VERY much easier and faster (though less so now, as you've made it slower / harder) to just click the extension button and browse through the full list in order to navigate between and log in to my regularly used sites.

Thank you for explaining your workflow, I can now understand what the issue is. I think we might want to approach this in a different way in the future but no promises.

The other suggestion is if you have a list of daily sites you use every day, you could favorite them instead and scrolling could be faster with a smaller list in Favorites and since Favorites is higher in mini, there's also less tracking.

It doesn't change much from the Logins scrolling but it may be easier on your trackpad.

We'll figure this out.

Thanks again!

@steve23094:

I don't understand why Software Licenses are in the list, how often do you need to look those up?

1Password mini is a quick access to your data to copy/view without having to open the main 1Password app, thus living up to its name, a mini version of 1Password. For some folks, they can easily call on 1Password mini, click to copy the license key and paste it into the software to register it. All of that without having to open up the bigger and heavy main 1Password app.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

Ah... silly me hadn't thought of Favourites! Thanks for the tip Mike.

click to copy the license key and paste it into the software to register it. All of that without having to open up the bigger and heavy main 1Password app.

Kind of my point though, you only have to do that once so no shame in having to open the main app.

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @steve23904,

No but if you're already using 1Password mini for everything else, might as well have it there.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

Used a tip from another post about hiding the individual items. Problem solved!

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi skopcho

I appreciate your good intentions, but the keyboard route simply doesn't work for me.

I agree that keyboard shortcuts can sometimes be quicker than using a mouse, but this is more likely to hold true when your starting position is with your hands already on your keyboard and can also depend on other factors.

For me, using a keyboard shortcut, then typing and hitting enter would mean a two handed effort on the keyboard, when everything else that I need to do (on the visited websites) is achievable via mouse.

I have lots of logins, but they're easily and quickly navigable via scroll wheel (mouse) / swipe (trackpad). You soon get used to honing your flicking action to fly through long lists to the right "zone" of Logins.

The keyboard route would involve:

• switching from mouse > keyboard
    • shifting visual focus between centre screen > far right (where keyboard-invoked 1P pops up on a 27" display)
    • having to type whole site names or manually pick from results shortlists between multiple sites that have the same initial 2/3/4/5+ letters (and I do have a good few of these)
    • switching from keyboard back to mouse to do what's actually needed on the website
    • repeating this process multiple times in a row to visit a series of sites in quick succession

This doesn't come close to winning a usability contest vs doing everything quickly and easily using a mouse - with one hand and looking in the same area of the display.

Getting back to my original feedback, the new mouse-based process is also slower than before due to slight lags in the Login list being shown. This lag is longer if you initially "miss" Logins and are deemed to have hovered for even a short time over the Password Generator or Identity items (why does the Password Generator come before Logins - this doesn't help).

It may seem minor, but the new configuration amounts to a real pain in the neck for mouse-centric users like me.

Again, I appreciate your suggestion - just wanted to explain the usability issue in more detail from the perspective of folks who use 1P in a similar way to me.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

Thank you for explaining your workflow, I can now understand what the issue is. I think we might want to approach this in a different way in the future but no promises.

Thank you Mike - I really appreciate you taking the time to consider this. I hope you can find a way to restore the previous ease of usability. Once you've had the ideal configuration, it really sucks for it to be taken away by an upgrade.

• BD1
    BD1
    Community Member
    Options

This is my workflow also....hope this gets addressed in a future update.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for all your contributions to this topic, folks! As @MikeT mentioned above (#7), "We'll figure this out". :)

• BD1
    BD1
    Community Member
    Options

Has this been changed/fixed back to the prior way?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BD1,

This is on our radar, and we are looking into solutions and options, but no changes have been made yet. Thanks for checking in on us :)

This discussion has been closed.