USB Synch Tool does not work with 1Password 4 for OS X?

Neocybersailor
Neocybersailor
Community Member

I updated from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 today after seeing your blog update stating that wifi sync is back. Then I discover only after installing that wifi sync does not work at this time because Agilebits needs to update the iphone/ipad versions, but can not say when this update will be available. In the meantime I only discover after digging through google searches, (not your forum or blog) that the 1password usb sync tool does not work with 1Password 4 version. Does this mean that those that updated are now forced to use dropbox or icloud sync until you get around to finalizing the iphone/ipad update? For those of us who do not trust putting our passwords in the cloud in this NSA and hacker age, it would have been very much appreciated if Agilebits had highlighted to its users a warning that at this time the wifi synch does not work at this time, and the usb tool option is now inoperative with the new OS X version, leaving users forced to synch only via dropbox or icloud methods for an unspecified time. I for one would have never updated at this time if I had this information made available to me.

Comments

• Hi @neocybersailor,

The USB sync tool has been replaced by the new Wi-Fi sync tool but you're right, we should've notify folks the Wi-Fi sync will require 1Password 4.3 for iOS update which is close to being released soon. We have written it up in the FAQs and the Wi-Fi sync guide.

We'll get the iOS update out as soon as possible.

• bassbeats
    bassbeats
    Community Member

I don't get it.
    Why are you guys at agilebits testing a USB-Sync Tool which is useless with 1P4?
    Like a lot of other users i don't like to store my sensitive data anywhere else then on my devices.
    When will the USB or the Wifi sync be back? Any timeline?
    Without of a offline sync possibility your software seems quite useless to me.

• Hi @bassbeats,

1Password 4 for Mac do have Wi-Fi sync now, it is one of our new major features that has been overhauled. You can find out more here. At the moment, we're working on releasing 1Password 4.3 for IOS update soon that'll work with the new Wi-Fi sync system we built exclusively for 1Password 4.

Because of our beta testing with the USB sync tool, we're switching back to the Wi-Fi sync in 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 4.3 for iOS updates. There are API issues that we cannot resolve in the USB Sync, so it has been cancelled as mentioned in this post.

• Famulus
    Famulus
    Community Member

Soon? Bad news! We know, what «soon» means for AgileBits. I remember reading here, that USB-Sync will be out «soon»... And you announced for «soon» 1Password 4 some months ago.

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member

Hello MikeT and all the lovely Samurai's & Ninja's at Agilebits

This is VERY unfortunate: USB sync does NOT work anymore with 1P 4.x for OSX and at the same time 1P 4.x does NOT work anymore with OSX 10.7.5 Lion !!!! - huuuh :-(

What to do if you have a perfectly good MacPro dual XEON with tons of PCI cards and 32GB of RAM an 16TB of HDs which only runs 10.7.5 Lion - and you've got 20 of them !

One cannot sync 1Password 4.x with 3.x except over the cloud ??? If this is true, this is bad and a total killer argument in Europe, listen up guys !
    USB sync was a heaven sent tool, sleek wonderful and worked like a charm. No need for WIFI you can just sync between anything iPhone to Mac whatever.

Please reconsider this. Either make 1P 3.x work with WiFi sync to 4.x or make the new 4.x work with USB-Sync. Backward compatibility is a must, otherwise you might loose a lot of customers over here, unfortunately.

Thanx for listening

• Hi @Famulus,

We've already submitted 4.3 to the iOS App Store, should be out within a week or two depending on Apple's review queue.

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member

Hello MikeT

Great I see that 1P 4.3 for iOS is out and has WiFi sync now ;-)

Now what about USB Sync, i know that it is generally a dead project, but does the 1P 4.3 iOS Version still support it or not ? Or do i loose USB Sync when I update from 4.2.7 ?

I do own 5 Licenses from 1Password for Mac 4.x, but I'm not using it and are still on the Mac Version 3.8.21 because the new 4.x does not run anymore on OSX 10.7.5 so my MacPro is stuck with that Release. Therefore my question is really, do I loose USB sync with my MacPro's 3.8.21 if I update to 1P 4.3 iOS or not ?

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member

Hi MikeT, since I didn't hear anything - I just tried it myself and the answer is - YES it works:
    1Password 4.3.ipa runs on iOS 6.x and 7.x and still works with USB Sync backwards to 1P for Mac 3.8.21. It also syncs via WiFi with the new MacVersion 4.x :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

Hey guys,

FYI, an older related USB Sync topic has been merged with this one. The intention was to only move @MikDev's Oct. 6th post from there to here but instead it's the full (but short) topic.

@MikeDev: Since you're able to use USB Sync with 1P4 iOS 4.3 and 1P4 Mac 3.8.21 is that a workable solution for you right now?

This discussion has been closed.