Chrome Version 29.0.1547.76 MAC extension not working

Sauk
Sauk
Community Member

I go to enter my password and it just sits there and counts, nothing happens. I upgraded to 1password v4 this morning. Any help? Kind of sucks since this is my browser of choice. Also in Safari, I can log in the extension but I have a ! point as well.

Comments

• rublind
    rublind
    Community Member

I'm in a similar boat. I get the popup, but hitting enter, or selecting the password doesn't fill in any of the fields.

• pbinderup
    pbinderup
    Community Member

The plugin is also broken for me, both in Safari and Chrome. Late this afternoon (Europe) I finally got the extensions installed, but passwords are not filled in any forms when selecting them. Guess the beta testers was the same that tested Apples iOS 7 release ;-)

• Hi guys,

Make sure you update Chrome to Chrome 30 as it looks like it was released a few hours ago.

While you update it, can you guys confirm if you're not using any VPN, Proxy, Sophos or any other anti-malware solution?

• kdeen
    kdeen
    Community Member

Hello,

I am also having this problem (no autofill). I have Chrome 30, no VPN, Proxy, Sophos etc. I disabled all other extensions, rebooted, and still no luck.

Let me know if I can provide any other information.

Thanks.

• kdeen
    kdeen
    Community Member

Here is some additional information about no autofill not working in Chrome.

I created a new user account on my mac, downloaded and installed Chrome, and added the 1password extension to chrome.

I started 1password as a new user. I logged into a website and 1password created a new account for the login. I logged out of the website and when I tried to login again, the 1password extension did not autofill the login.

• ddlamb
    ddlamb
    Community Member

I'm having the same issues. Neither the mini nor the Chrome extension will do autofill.

• cuestakid
    cuestakid
    Community Member

i am using sophos and VPN but have disabled both. I tried both Safari and Chrome 30-no dice. Is there anything else that can be done? Otherwise
    I must say I am extremely disappointed in this and will now look to downgrade back until this this fixed.

• cuestakid
    cuestakid
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

so all of a sudden it has started working-i have no idea why or how I did it... I think it may be related to my sophos AV-i told it to ignore my Dropbox folder which is where my keychain is. How can I move my keychain to iCloud after initial set-up of the app?

• pbinderup
    pbinderup
    Community Member

Update to my comment: It was Sophos that caused the issue.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for the updates.

@cuestakid, it's not about the data file. It's about the localhost/127.0.0.1 that 1Password extension use to communicate locally with 1Password mini. You have to tell Sophos to whitelist that address. Here's how to do this:

Open Sophos Preferences, go to Web Protection > Allowed Websites, and click +. Add 127.0.0.1 and restart your browser, 1Password should work now.

@kdeen, @ddlamb, can you email us your diagnostic report at support@agilebits, it'll help us figure out what's going on.

• kdeen
    kdeen
    Community Member

diagnostic report sent.

• tfaz
    tfaz
    Community Member

Experiencing the same issue.

• Mavericks GM
    • Google Chrome 30.0.1599.69
    • 1P Extension 4.0.0.23

Diagnostic report sent!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

Thanks for sending us those reports, guys. We hope to have a resolution to this for you soon!

• Dethpickle
    Dethpickle
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Confirmed that MikeT's advice worked. Adding 127.0.0.1 to the whitelist of sophos magically made the Command-\ start working for Chrome and Safari. I was worried there for a moment...

That is a pretty big hole to leave in sophos though and some corporate types might not be able to edit their own whitelists. A different solution would be preferred.

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member

I've been having the same problem. I don't, however, have any third party anti-virus or network security SW installed.

I've narrowed down and been able to fix as follows:-

• 1P4 from MAS with iCloud sync, release version of Chrome extension, Chrome 30 -> form filling does not work
    • 1P4 beta (401004) and beta Chrome extension (4.0.0.22) with iCloud sync -> form filling does not work
    • 1P4 / Chrome extension beta as above, but with DropBox sync -> form filling works

Maybe it's a sandboxing issue?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the followups.

@Dethpickle wrote:

That is a pretty big hole to leave in sophos though and some corporate types might not be able to edit their own whitelists. A different solution would be preferred.

Agreed. Here's something @MikeT mentioned:

We're working on figuring out why it doesn't do it when it can't retrieve the filling command from 1Password mini. When we do, we'll try to link to a doc with list of known problematic apps.

@rowatt asked:

Maybe it's a sandboxing issue?

Could be in some cases, e.g.:

Chrome 30 sandbox issues with 1Password 4 extension

If you have an opportunity to retest could you let us know if the first two results of your testing differ using Chrome's `--no-sandbox`` option? Thanks!

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member

@sjk

Launching Chrome in no-sandbox mode had no effect.

I was thinking more that it might have to do with the MacOS sandbox, but that was just a wild guess. A bit more info:-

• delete App Support/1Password 4 folder and run 1P4 MAS afresh -> Chrome filling doesn't work
    • quit 1P4 (and helper) and Chrome. Launch 1P4 beta -> Chrome filling doesn't work
    • start afresh again and run 1P4 beta first -> Chrome filling works
    • quit 1P4 beta and launch 1P4 MAS -> Chrome filling does not work
    • quit 1P4 MAS and launch 1P4 beta -> Chrome filling works again

I haven't repeatedly tested the above, so it's possible things won't be the same on repeat attempts. However, 1P4 MAS fresh start has never worked for me, and so far 1P4 beta has worked perfectly if I start afresh.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your help testing that and posting the results, @rowatt.

Thinking more about this, and from personal experience, I'm wondering if you're encountering a conflict with beta and MAS version usage. We've documented how to migrate from the beta to release version. Could you take a look there and see if anything's applicable to your case? At the end it mentions running versions concurrently. Thanks again!

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member

I'm pretty sure I did all that initially, though it's not impossible I had both MAS and beta versions running concurrently at some point. I can still replicate the issue, though, as follows:-

• make sure 1P4/1P4 mini are not running (including using launchctl command)
    • delete all files relating to 1P4 (beta and MAS) using http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ (deleting everything except the apps themselves)
    • reboot Mac
    • confirm nothing relating to 1P is running (ps -A | grep -i 1P)
    • start 1P4 MAS and let it download data from iCloud
    • -> form filling on Chrome does not work
    • -> form filling on Safari does work
    • quit 1P4 MAS (inc. helper)
    • launch 1P4 beta (4.0.1 - not yet updated to 4.0.2) (let it download from iCloud)
    • -> form filling on Chrome works
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

Hi, @rowatt. Have you sent us a diagnostic report as @MIkeT suggested earlier in post #11? That information will help us to isolate why form filling is failing in Chrome when you're using 1P4 MAS.

Oh, do you have Chrome installed in the system /Applications folder? If not, please try moving it there; 1P4 can have issues when it's installed elsewhere.

Thanks!

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member

Diagnostic report sent as requested.

I have Chrome in the user Applications folder, i.e. ~/Applications.

I've done one quick test, and moving it to /Applications fixes the problem. If it stops working again I'll report back.

It should work just fine in the User applications folder, though... that is an official place for applications to be. If for some reason that's a bug/feature that's not resolvable, then a notification to that effect would be nice.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

Thanks for the DRs, @rowatt. Those confirmed Chrome wasn't installed in /Applications; glad to hear moving it there has fixed your problem!

As @MikeT mentioned in If do not place the Browser at /Applications, 1Password 4.0 Extension does not working.:

… it looks like this will only affect those who are using 1Password at the Mac App Store, not the website version for now. The sandboxing is likely preventing us from the processes listed in ~/Applications. For now, there isn't a way around this and the browsers do have to be in /Applications.

>

We'll investigate for a solution.

And what you suggest, if nothing more, seems quite reasonable and feasible:

If for some reason that's a bug/feature that's not resolvable, then a notification to that effect would be nice.

We're already considering more conditions for 1P4 to detect that cause its dysfunction and alerting users with suggested courses of action.

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member

@sjk thanks for helping track that down.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure, @rowatt. Thanks for your help, time, and patience to resolve this.

• darren13
    darren13
    Community Member

No login updates in Chrome / Safari for me I'm afraid.

No autofill working on e.g. Hostgator logins / banking logins with Chrome extension.

Very patchy - but I notice it works okay on Agile forums, and Google logins in general.

Chrome - Version 30.0.1599.101

Google Chrome is up to date.

Safari - can't figure out what version - but autologins didn't work with browser extension when I checked just now.

Mac OSX V 10.8.5

1Password V4.0.3 (402003)
    Chrome browser extension: 4.0.1.99

Please help, it's driving me batty....!

Darren.

• cochrasc
    cochrasc
    Community Member

I had Chrome installed in /Applications/Internet Apps folder and I was having the same issue as the OP. Simply moving it down one folder to the /Applications folder allowed the plugin to start working correctly. A fix to this would be nice. I've been using 1P for a while now and never had an issue until I upgraded from the MAS, and prefer to have my apps sorted in subfolders instead of everything lumped into the Applications folder. Thanks!

• Padded
    Padded
    Community Member

The Chrome on Mac extension is not working for me either. And Chrome is located in the /Applications folder.

• Padded
    Padded
    Community Member

Just found out that installing the extension via Chrome Canary did work for me. And the extension was installed for the regular version of Chrome as well.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cochrasc,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your issue sorted out, but I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the developers.

Hi @Padded,

Thanks for letting us know that installing Canary fixed the issue for you!

This discussion has been closed.