1Password 4 won't start

Options
Aoterra
Aoterra
Community Member

Hi, I have just upgraded from version 3 to 4. When 1Password 4 starts, it displays the "Enter you Master Password" Prompt/Window with a lock icon. When I enter my previous Master Password (from version 3), and press enter, the lock icon changes to show it is unlocked - and then, nothing. The screen doesn't update, and the application sits in a seemingly stalled state. I use Chrome as my browser, and the new extension says that 1Password isn't running.
I can still run version 3 and the database is intact. Any ideas what I need to do to get this working? I'm running 10.8.5, with a one year old MacBook Pro.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Hi @Aoterra,

That's very weird, Can you log out and log back in or just reboot, see if that works?

Also, how did you upgrade, did you have the website version that you upgraded from our webstore or are you upgrading via the Mac App Store?

• HumayunH
    HumayunH
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue as Aoterra. I upgraded from 1Password 3 to 4 using the Mac App Store and when I launch 1Password, it does not display any windows even though the application is running. I have to go to the 1Password Window menu, and select the '1Password' option for the login window to appear. After I enter my Master Password and hit enter, nothing happens. The login window stays on screen and there is no indication of there being an error.

I've already moved the preference files from ~/Library/Preferences and even moved the agilekeychain file out of the Dropbox folder to my desktop. I tried restarting the computer and deleting the reinstalling the app with the same results. It does not ask if I'm new to 1Password or an existing user nor it does create new preference files.

Are there any other files that are installed elsewhere on the system that need to be deleted?

This appears to be the same problem being experienced by the user in this thread: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16304/install-went-wrong#latest

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    To your questions:
    I have now restarted, but this has made no difference to how 1Password 4 behaves. I am upgrading from version 3 which I bought directly from you to version 4 which I also bought directly from you (ie no Mac App Store purchase involved anywhere). I sync data to an iPhone, through Dropbox. I've backed up the keychain file in DropBox separately today, in case anything "strange" happens.

The previous version is still installed at this point.

Hope you can help.

• bassbeats
    bassbeats
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I also have this problem.
    After installing the upgrade from the MAS Store i tried to start 1P4 – the initial screen appears where i klick the "Awesome let's get started" button. Then the window where i have to type in my Masterpassword appears and it possible to enter the code.
    Afterwards nothing happens.
    I am running 10.8.5. I tried to fix this problem by repairing the permissions und a reboot.
    No success at all.
    Any hints?

• bgfrancey
    bgfrancey
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I upgraded from MAS and now can't access my vault at all. Same symptoms as everyone else has reported. When I try and use the plugin in any browser I get this msg: There is no vault. Please open 1Password app.

• bassbeats
    bassbeats
    Community Member
    Options

Well i don't get a error message like bgfrancey.
    In my case it seems like it has something to do with the User folder.
    My User folder is on an internal second harddisk. I moved the folder with the option provided in the User & Groups panel in the System preferences
    When i log in with a different account the app seems to work flawless.

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

I have now deleted the application, and removed the supporting files (using the Hazel helper function) , and then reinstalled - it has made no difference, and the application still hangs once the master password has been entered. Perhaps stalls is a better word, but nothing further happens after the padlock unlocks.

• bassbeats
    bassbeats
    Community Member
    Options

I also tried to delete everything and then to reinstall it.
    Nothing seems to work.
    But when I log in with a different account i can open and access my Keychain.
    While deleting 1PW i also tried to delete all file frome agilebits.
    The one big difference between the Accounts has been that on my mainaccount i see the normal login window.
    On the other account the i cant type in my masterkeyword – i need to open up my keychain manually.
    Please list where which user files are stored.

• bassbeats
    bassbeats
    Community Member
    Options

After fiddling around a lot i found the solution.
    While using a User folder on a second harddisk (or partition) 1P4 needs a symlink from the default location of the folder to the new one.

• Hi guys,

For those of you who still have the problem, are you guys storing your /Users folder on the secondary drives?

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

No. I only have a single hard drive.

• bgfrancey
    bgfrancey
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. single drive.

• Erik Mathre
    Erik Mathre
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list of people having this same problem. I was able to update fine on my MacPro and Retina MacBook Pro. But on my MacBook Pro 17" model 6,1 running OS X 10.8.5 has the same problem. I tried deleting the App and everything associated with AgileBits in the Library and then reinstalling it from the MAS -- same results. I then backed up my MacBook and wiped it clean. Installed a fresh copy of 10.8.5 and migrated the backup back into the MacBook. Installed a clean copy from the MAS. Same results. No idea what might be blocking it from working on this Mac. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

(p.s. I'm very happy with the new version on the other Macs)

• Erik Mathre
    Erik Mathre
    Community Member
    Options

A quick update. I have another user account on this MacBook Pro 17 and when I go into that account and open 1Password, it works just fine. So there must be something that is conflicting with 1Password. The weird thing is that I run pretty much the same software on all three Macs.

• Hi guys,

Can you open Console.app from your Applications > Utilities folder, click on Clear Display button on the toolbar, and then reproduce the problem with opening 1Password.

Do you guys see anything show up in Console?

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    I opened console, cleared Display, started 1Password - nothing showed up on main display. Then I closed 1Password, and opened log for com.agilebits.onepassword4.log. Next, Clear Display, start 1Password.

Here's the log:

Sun Oct 6 16:46:26 2013| 401005 [APP:0x7feaebc0e330:] I applicationDidFinishLaunching: | Starting 1Password 4.0.1 #401005 built Oct 3 2013 12:29:20
    Sun Oct 6 16:46:26 2013| 401005 [XPC:0x7feaebc0e330:] I connect | Connecting to helper
    Sun Oct 6 16:46:26 2013| 401005 [XPC:0x7feaebc0e330:] I startHelper | Starting '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper'

Sun Oct 6 16:47:30 2013| 401005 [XPC:0x7feaebc0e330:] I createProfileNamed:usingKeychain:withPassword:completion: | Creating new profile from keychain: '(null)'

Close 1Password.

Log adds:

Sun Oct 6 16:52:15 2013| 401005 [XPC:0x7feaebc0e330:] I stopHelper | Stopping '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper'

Sun Oct 6 16:52:15 2013Good-bye!

Hope this helps

• HumayunH
    HumayunH
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

As posted in my first comment, I was having the same issue as everyone else on this thread. After reading MikeT's request to check the Console messages and the last post from Aoterra, I decided to look into my Keychain. It turned out that I couldn't even launch the Keychain Access utility as my login.keychain file had grown to 360MB. After doing some research into this issue, I found out that Apple's iCloud service had created thousands of com.apple.ubiquity entries in the keychain which had caused slowdowns in other applications as well. So I decided to start over.

Here are the steps I took (I'm only providing these so you can check if this applies to you but please proceed with caution):
    1. Logged out of iCloud completely using the control panel. If you don't turn iCloud off, it'll keep updating your keychain and you will not be able to proceed.

Note: You may be able to skip steps 2 and 3 if you are able to launch Keychain Access utility and run the Keychain First Aid command.

1. Went to my Keychains folder (~/Library/Keychains) and renamed the login.keychain file to something else. This file was over 360MB.
    2. There were a bunch of other login.keychain.sb-xxxxxxx files in that folder most of which were zero bytes. I looked for one that had some data in it and renamed it to login.keychain.

3. Launched the Keychain Access utility and ran the Keychain First Aid from the menu. The verify command told me there were problems with the keychain so I decided to proceed. After it was all done, I had a clean Keychain but it was completely empty so you will lose any saved logins you might've had throughout the system. You may also just able to create a new login.keychain or restore from a Time Machine backup.

Do Not Turn On iCloud Yet

1. At this point I was able to fire up 1Password 4 and after a couple of seconds it came up with the window asking if I was a new user or had used 1Password before. I was then able to point it to my data file stored in Dropbox and use 1Password successfully.

I used to have my User folder on a different drive and then it was moved to my boot drive when I upgraded to an SSD. I believe this move caused the below issue leading to iCloud creating the thousands of entries in the bloated login.keychain file. There was likely a corruption in the keychain file which couldn't be fixed leading 1Password to throw the error that we see in Aoterra's log.

1. Go to ~/Library/Application Support/ and do a Get Info on the Ubiquity folder.
    2. Look at the Sharing and Permissions section at the bottom: In my case, only the System account had Read & Write access. The admin account was set to Read Only. I changed admin privileges to Read & Write.
    3. Go back to System Preferences iCloud control panel and re-enable all iCloud services that you use.
    4. After re-enabling iCloud, I kept an eye on my login.keychain and noticed that the com.apple.ubiquity entries were still being created but at a much lower rate than before.

Hope this helps some of you.

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

HI I reviewed HumayunH's suggestion, but it doesn't seem to be pertinent to my situation. My keychain is not bloated, nor are there any errors in the keychain. Also, the permissions seem to be correct on the Ubiquity folder.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

Bump. This is still an issue, and I would like a response from Agile about resolution, please.

• @Aoterra,

It seems that 1Password 4 get stuck when it tries to upgrade the data from 1Password 3. Are you seeing the screen similar to this one?

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps 1Password isn't initialising properly. When I invoke it by clicking the icon in my menu bar, the icon light comes on, but no window appears until I click on the icon a second time.
    I don't get a welcome message, I just get the prompt in the text entry field to "Enter your Master Password". The lock icon shows the padlock is closed. I enter my Master Password (as used with 1Password 3). The padlock unlocks, and then .... nothing. The application sits there. I have just discovered that if I try to take a screenshot, the padlock goes back to showing locked again.

I've just upgraded to 4.0.2, which has made no difference to the above.

Help!

Thanks

• @Aoterra,

Could you please email me the diagnostics report:
    http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html#mac4

Please send it directly to me (roustem@agilebits.com).

Thanks!

• kevwil
    kevwil
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem to @Aoterra, but when I unlock I get a crash report window stating that the 1password mini helper has crashed. Once I submit the crash report, the main 1Password window reverts to the locked state with the passphrase prompt (a.k.a. Square One).

• charmcitygavin
    charmcitygavin
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I have the same issue here (but without the crash). I also upgraded from 1P3 to 1P4 via the App Store.

@roustem, I don't even get to that welcome screen. 1Password appears to launch, but it doesn't open any windows. I can hit Command-0 to open the login window:

But when I enter my password and press return, nothing happens (other than the ring turning blue and lock icon changing):

I'd been using Dropbox to sync my keychain, and I wondered if the app had trouble finding it. But when I open the Preferences and go to Sync, it's a blank panel:

Here's what I see in Console:

10/8/13 11:19:24.681 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[17]: Session 100028 created

>

10/8/13 11:19:25.985 AM 1Password[3257]: Launch time: 1.18s

>

10/8/13 11:19:27.779 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[17]: Killing auth hosts

>

10/8/13 11:19:27.779 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[17]: Session 100027 destroyed

I hope that's helpful! Thank you so much for being so attentive. You all rock. 1Password is awesome and I can't wait to get the new version up and running. :)

• Thank you for the screenshots, @charmcitygavin!

Any chance you could email me (roustem@agilebits.com) the diagnostics report:
    http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html#mac4

Thanks again!

• Aoterra
    Aoterra
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem, I have emailed the report to you, and look forward to a positive outcome.

• Thanks! Could you please try to send it again. Somehow I got the "1Password4Troubleshooting.zip" which is a copy of the troubleshooting app itself :)

• charmcitygavin
    charmcitygavin
    Community Member
    Options

No problem. I'll send it now. Thanks!

• ek778
    ek778
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

This issue happened to me as well. My scenario was a bit different though. I had the 1PW 4 Beta installed, and wanted to move to my licensed store copy. I uninstalled the Beta version, installed 1PW4 from the app store, and then installed the Chrome extension. I got the error then whenever I tried to use the browser plugin. To "remedy", I uninstalled the app store version and reinstalled the latest beta, followed by the Chrome extension. No problem using it now. Would love to simply go back to the app store version, but doesn't seem possible at the moment.

• sam0212
    sam0212
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. when i click on the key icon in the browser window (safari) the 1password popup window dip lays: "(null) Vault"

Once i enter the password it says: "There is no vault. Please open the 1Password app."

The 1password app is already open !!

How do i point a particular vault to the browser extension ?

This discussion has been closed.