Multiple Vaults Synching?

Options
sovanbu
sovanbu
Community Member

I seen in the 1P4 description that multiple vaults can sync across Dropbox. How does this work if you have a vault with a specific dropbox account and another vault with a different dropbox account?

Comments

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Also how can you see multitple vaults on 1P4 for iOS?

Edit: Can you have a seperate dropbox for each Vault you make? I tried it in the beta but it won't allow me to enter a seperate login

• Hi @sovanbu,

That's not possible to do at the moment, we simply write to your existing Dropbox folder and we don't know what account you're using. Dropbox nor 1Password recommend using multiple Dropbox accounts in the same OS X account.

The multiple vault sync is referring to syncing separate data files in the same Dropbox folder (or in your case, same Dropbox.com account). You'd be able to not only sync different vaults separately but you can also share a specific vault with other folks and keep that vault in sync.

If however, you've modified the way Dropbox works by having two separate Dropbox folders or something like that, you could instead of using Dropbox sync in 1Password, you can use the Folder Sync. With Folder Sync, you can sync the data to any folders on your drive.

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hey @mikeT, from another user I found a way to do this, as you alluded to above. You can share a folder in Dropbox with other Dropbox users by signing on the website and navigating to the "Sharing" Section. It might be beneficial to other users if this was included in the FAQ or by means of a walkthrough.

I'm sure some people are wanting to use this to share passwords with significant others or wives, as I am using it for. My girlfirend signed into Dropbox, clicked to share her "1Password" folder and then when I created a seperate vault I went into the settings and the folder she "Shared" shows up in my Dropbox folder now.

Thank you for the reply and I really am loving this new feature after I figured it out. I'm sure there are smarter people than I who already knew to "Share" folders but I overlooked it.

As for using multiple vaults... is 1Password 4 for iOS going to be updated to support it?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @sovanbu.

Glad you're loving multiple vaults and figured out a way to share one with your girlfriend. Having a FAQ, tutorial, and/or video about the setup is a good idea. We'll keep that in mind for when we're not quite as busy. :)

As mentioned in Known Issues in 1Password 4 for Mac:

There will be an iOS update to support multiple vaults in a future update.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I find it unfathomable that a major new feature was released with no user documentation (or at least no easy-to-find documentation). There is information on multiple vaults in the discussion forums, but it’s scattered in multiple threads, many of which are in a hidden beta forum. In any event, discussion threads aren’t user documentation because AgileBits intentionally makes the forums hard to find. And where is the Known Issues page that @sjk references? Why, it’s in the 1Password 4 discussion forum, natch!

Fail.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Feedback noted, @benfdc. Here's some off-forum documentation about multiple vaults:

Using the forum as the primary (or, worse, only) resource for information that ought to be more generally available and accessible is suboptimal. We're looking to improve this situation.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk—

Thanks for the links.

That Multiple Vaults article is a nice start, but I have no idea how to find it other than via links from the Vault Sharing tutorial. Based on the URL the Multiple Vaults article seems to be in a section of the documentation called Features, but I don’t see a link to the Features section anywhere, and the Features Home Page itself seems to be a work in progress.

I feel like I am lost in a labyrinth.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I feel like I am lost in a labyrinth.

Evokes a déjà vu flashback. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I was looking at the Sync guide, which gives guidance on the pros and cons of various sync channels. Perhaps mention could be made on that page of iCloud’s limited support for multiple vaults.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to pass that along :)

This discussion has been closed.