switching to iCloud from Dropbox

Options
geoff2
geoff2
Community Member

My wife has been syncing her 1Password vaults on her Mac, iPhone and iPad using Dropbox, but now that 1Password 4 for Mac is out will switch to using iCloud. While the iOS devices can sync with Dropbox and iCloud simultaneously, the Mac version can only seem to sync with one. That's fine, but I'm wondering the best way to switch services without running the risk of having things duplicated. Should I switch the Mac to iCloud, wait a bit for everything to sync, and then switch the iPhone and iPad? Should I turn off Dropbox syncing on the iPhone and iPad immediately? Or should I first switch the iPhone and iPad? I've searched but couldn't find a definitive sequence for transitioning. Thanks!

• geoff

Comments

• pONd74
    pONd74
    Community Member
    Options

That's a good question!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi, @geoff2 and @pONd74. I'm sorry about the delay in responding. It's been much busier around here since the 1Password 4 for Mac release and we're doing our best to answer personally as fast as we can.

Now, for switching from Dropbox to iCloud syncing here are some instructions:

• Make sure your 1Password data is up-to-date and in sync everywhere that Dropbox syncing of it is enabled.
    • It's recommended to have current backups of 1Password data before switching sync services.

For 1P4 Mac: Open Preferences… > Backups, click Backup Now, and its entry will appear at the top of the list when complete. You can also make a copy of the 1Password.agilekeychain Dropbox Sync is using.(a)

For 1P4 iOS: See Back up your 1Password data through iTunes. This isn't as important if you already have reliable 1P4 Mac backups since they could be used to repopulate 1P4 data on iOS if necessary.

• On each iOS device, open Settings > Sync and disable Dropbox.

• On each Mac, follow steps in Sync with iCloud. When reaching the "Instruct 1Password to sync with iCloud" section you'll first disable Syncing with Dropbox by clicking Change Syncing… in the Preferences… > Sync tab. A Disabling Sync sheet will drop down, with a Delete data from Dropbox option. Leave that option disabled at least until disabling sync on the final Mac.(b) Click Disable Sync then finish steps in the Sync with iCloud, which will bring you to(c) …
    • On each iOS device, enable iCloud syncing following steps in Start using iCloud with 1Password. Just enabling iCloud under Settings > Sync may be enough.

Notes:

(a) Please stop there if it has a different filename and mention here what its full path/name is. Could be you're using multiple vaults, which also has this known issue:

• [Important]: If you have multiple vaults and you're syncing with Dropbox to your mobile devices, do not enable the sync for other vaults other than the primary one yet. The current iOS app does not support multiple vaults and may in fact sync one of your other vaults into the primary vault you're using in the iOS app. There will be an iOS update to support multiple vaults in a future update

(b) Whether or not to enable Delete data from Dropbox on the final Mac is your choice. If you know it's unused (as expected at this point, having previously disabled Dropdox syncing with it everywhere else) and you have a backup/archive copy then deleting is reasonable and avoids unintentional reusage later when it's possibly out-of-date.

(c) Get every Mac working properly first, then iOS devices.

And that's all! Run some tests and hopefully be satisfied with how it's working. I'm watching this topic for your feedback so let me know if you have any quesitons about this, notice errors, or run into any trouble. Thanks!

• RichardP
    RichardP
    Community Member
    Options

But is it an advantage to move from Dropbox to iCloud in my situation which is a MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and two iPhones.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardP

The answer I received from @MikeT was once the new vault format is rolled out there will be not significant difference syncing between the 2 providers.

I personally stick with Dropbox. I guess its a personal choice.

• RichardP
    RichardP
    Community Member
    Options

Think I am also sticking with Dropbox - "if it works don't fix it" -- unless there are advantages and at this point I don't see any.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RichardP,

We offer both iCloud and Dropbox sync to allow you to choose which one best fits your individual needs. For Apple-only users, iCloud has the advantage that no third-party service is required, your data remains in an already existing iCloud account. For multi-platform users, Dropbox offers more flexibility, as well as the bonus of 1Password Anywhere, which allows you to access your 1Password database via the Dropbox website.

As @thightower says, it really does come down to personal preference. You're right, if it works, there's not much cause to worry :)

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

So I take it if I'm syncing an iMac, iPad and PC, I'm better off sticking with Dropbox sync. Is this correct?
    Thanks much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Doug,

You're right. Until Apple makes iCloud available to Windows for development, Dropbox is your best multi-platform sync solution. :)

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks much Megan!

• On behalf of the smiling Megan, you're welcome!

• djbressler
    djbressler
    Community Member
    Options

I wanted to add one thought, for anyone syncing their password vault to a machine they use at work (along with personal stuff). My config is all Apple (thank gods ;-). I've been using dropbox.

Unfortunately, my company blocks dropbox. They don't block iCloud. I could use dropbox and only sync evenings (the evenings I bring home my laptop). But, if I switch to iCloud it'll sync all the time like I've come to expect. That's a reason to consider when thinking about pros/cons of each choice.

db

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @djbressler,

Thanks for adding that point! It does seem that many workplaces block Dropbox access, so this is sure to be a valid consideration for some. :)

This discussion has been closed.