Upgrading to 1Password4 - Master Password not accepted

Options
SpiralOcean
SpiralOcean
Community Member

Just updated to 1Password4 and it is not recognizing my master password. I've been using the same master password for both 1Password3 on the desktop and 4.2.7 on the iOS.

I've been using 4.2.7 on the iPhone for a while. When I first got the iPhone app, I was syncing using iCloud & Dropbox. However, I wasn't using iCloud for the 1Password3 because it wasn't supported yet, so I turned off iCloud sync on the phone and have been using Dropbox.

I've noticed in 1Password4 i can choose to use iCloud or Dropbox. I've chosen drop box and my master password is still not recognized.
I tried to go into the iPhone 1Password app and turn on iCloud sync, but it's asking for a password and I think it wants the master password I used when I first set up the iCloud sync.

It seems to me the best way forward is to delete the 1Password 4 data, and resync from Dropbox. However, I haven't been able to find the documentation on how to do this. I'd also like to delete the data on iCloud and resync using iCloud.

Comments

• SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed the 1Password4 Safari extension says (null) Vault in the password field.

• Hi @SpiralOcean,

Can you open the main 1Password app, don't try to unlock but go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync, can you tell me what it says or provide a screenshot here.

Thanks!

• SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean
    Community Member
    Options

Turned on File Sharing on the iPhone. In iTunes, exported the data to the desktop. Right clicked on the 1Password.agilekeychain and opened with 1Password4. Entered my master password and it unlocked 1Password4... however... there is no data in the file?

• SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not able to select any of the sync options.

However, I did find a way to reset my iCloud sync on the iPhone.
    On the iPhone went to Settings • iCloud • Documents & Data
    Turned off 1Password in Documents and Data
    Went to Settings • iCloud • Storage & backup
    Deleted the 1Password data.
    Removed 1Password from multitask bar
    Restarted iPhone
    Opened 1Password and checked the sync setting to make sure iCloud was greyed out.
    Went back to iOS settings and turned on 1Password in Documents & Settings
    Opened 1Password on iOS and turned on iCloud sync
    Pressed Sync button
    and it synced my data to iCloud!

I then deleted 1Password4 on the desktop
    Allowed Hazel to move other 1Password4 files to the trash
    Downloaded from the App store
    Opened 1Password
    and was able to access the sync settings.
    Selected iCloud
    and am receiving a message that says:
    The operation could not be completed: no other information is available about this problem.

• SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean
    Community Member
    Options

I just locked 1Password and looked at the sync settings. The sync settings are greyed out when 1Password is locked.

• SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I got it working!

It seems that 1Password4 was opening files that were in the trash.
    When I tried to empty the trash I got an error saying:

At which point I deleted app, let Hazel move related files to the trash
    removed the safari extension
    restarted the computer
    emptied the trash
    downloaded 1Password from the app store

When I opened 1Password up it found the iCloud sync
    I entered in the master password and it opened with my data and syncing!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @SpiralOcean! Thanks for the detailed description of steps you took to get it working.

• jofrier13
    jofrier13
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue about upgrading to 1P 4 from 1P 3 Mac and the new version does not accept my Master Password when it asks for it after it says it has located my DropBox data. I'm having the same problem. I have 1P on my iPhone, and my Master Password works there. I use DropBox to sink. When I go to the 1P 4 'Preferences' and look at 'Syncing" all the options are greyed, so I can't choose one. I think I followed the same steps as @SpiralOcean, but still have the problem of 1P 4 not accepting my Master Password.

Can someone help?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @jofrier13.

Please check your Messages inbox for followup about your Master Password issue. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.