Import from SplashID Safe 6.2

Options
Tom Myler
Tom Myler
Community Member

I am jumping ship from SplashID Safe 6.2 and evaluating 1Password. I've downloaded 1Password 4 for Mac and, as part of my evaluation, am trying to import my SplashID Safe 6.2 data, which I've exported to a .CSV format. However, in 1Password 4 for Mac, the only import format specified in the dropdown box on the import screen is "1Password Interchange Format (.1pif)."

Is there a way to import my many hundreds of SplashID Safe 6.2 records to 1Password?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 1Password 4 doesn't have CSV import functionality yet.

Until it gets added, there is a workaround explained here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/86493/#Comment_86493

• abhibeckert
    abhibeckert
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I was able to import from LastPass using the same instructions.

Incase the other link dies:

• install a copy of 1Password 3
    • import the CSV file into 1Password 3
    • export as a "1pif" file
    • import the 1pif file into 1Password 4
    • delete the csv/1pif files (remember to use Finder's "Secure Empty Trash" feature)
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Tom.

Were @JasperP's and @abhibeckert's posts (thanks!) helpful for you? I also have SplashID 6.2 here and can assist if you're still having any export/import issues.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I used SplashID for many years, and then two or three years ago I tried to move to 1Password by importing my SplashID data. That was a disaster because I had freely used SplashID's ability to make custom categories and fields more or less at will. The 1Password importer choked on all of that, since it had no idea how to map my customizations into its own format. I gave up at the time. I finally did move to 1Password some months back, but it was by moving my records manually. I don't regret doing so a bit, but it wasn't at all automatic. I think AgileBits oversells the importer.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

That's about when I last tried it, @hawkmoth. As I recall, nearly everything that wasn't imported as a Login item was imported as a Secure Note with SplashID field information for its text.

Apparently the SplashID export data format was changed after we last updated our importer. Workaround is to export from SplashID in CSV format, then import via CSV into 1Password 3. You might be able to adjust the CSV data after exporting to get better import results.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I expect that a new user would have trouble knowing enough about the 1Password data structure to be able to decide how to modify a CSV file effectively. The new user would need to be more clever than I was. For me, the path of least resistance was to enter the data into my copy of 1Password manually. I have about 250 records, though. For those with lots more, manual entry would be a much bigger chore.

• Hi guys,

We did finally add the CSV import support (with focus on SplashID's CSV as well) in the latest version of 1Password, please do give it a try if you haven't done anything yet in 1Password 4.

• henrymj
    henrymj
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried importing both .vid and .csv versions exported from Splash ID (V7.0.8) and nothing works; do not even get a change of views in 1PW (say, to enable me to configure items in the database categories to match 1PW's prefs). Trying to import the backup.vid file, I get a 0 items imported / 0 items failed mysterious message. With the csv importa attempt, all I get is a error beep from my iMac. This just does NOT work.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @henrymj,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty getting data imported into 1Password. Could you please tell me which version of 1Password you are currently using?

• Tom Myler
    Tom Myler
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks for adding the feature to import Splash ID to 1Password. I had to play with it for a while, but eventually got it to work. Splash ID offers an export of "SplashID vID" and "SplashID vID V3". I'm not sure which one worked, to be honest, because I tried them both back-and-forth without success. Finally, deselecting the SplashID export option to include attachments seemed to do the trick. So... I got 1Password to import the data. I do need to go through each of my 200 records and clean them up, though, as all the field data also came over in the Notes section. This is something I can do at my leisure, though.

A usability suggestion: The little dropdown next to the passwords with "copy" and "conceal" is a bit awkward. There are times I just QUICKLY want to see the password. Instead of having a drop-down for what are essentially two separate functions, have two buttons: One for copy, and one for conceal. That's one less click for me, and that matters when I'm in a hurry! Thanks in advance for considering this enhancement.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

A usability suggestion: The little dropdown next to the passwords with "copy" and "conceal" is a bit awkward. There are times I just QUICKLY want to see the password. Instead of having a drop-down for what are essentially two separate functions, have two buttons: One for copy, and one for conceal. That's one less click for me, and that matters when I'm in a hurry! Thanks in advance for considering this enhancement.

If you want to quickly reveal passwords, hold the alt/option key. This works in both the main app and in mini. To show passwords permanently, press ctrl + cmd + P or choose the option in the View menu.

• Tom Myler
    Tom Myler
    Community Member
    Options

If you want to quickly reveal passwords, hold the alt/option key. This works in both the main app and in mini.

Cool - thanks! This is a helpful tip!!

Tom

This discussion has been closed.