CMD-\ workflow problem

SimonCocking
SimonCocking
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

Hi guys,

I was eager to upgrade to 1P4 but I'm beginning to regret it as it seems to have broken my workflow. Here's what I'm doing, and what I expect:

1. Open a web page, get asked to log in
  2. Hit Cmd-\ to fill and submit my credentials.
  3. Get on with it.

What's happening now after the 4.0 upgrade:

1. Open a web page, get asked to log in.
  2. Hit Cmd-\
  3. 1P-mini pops open on my external display (not from the browser extension as used to happen with 3.x), and presents me with a list of related logins
  4. I have to shift my attention to the other display, either type to search for the right login, or scroll and find it. Even though I have an entry with an exact domain match for the site in question, 1P4 does not filter down to it
  5. Select the entry which populates & submits the login form
  6. I can finally get on with it.

My environment:

• Safari 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) with the 1P4 extension
  • OSX 10.8.5
  • 1Password 4.0.1 (401005)

This is massively less convenient than 1P3. I can't believe this is an intentional design change.. there must be something I'm doing wrong :)

-- Simon

Comments

• stenielsen
    stenielsen
    Community Member

Hi Simon,
    the best thing is, to change your workflow. The Cmd-#, I'm from germany and this is my shortcut, now works over the entire system. So if I want to go to a website, where I want to log in, I don't open Safari. I press Cmd-#, the 1Password Mini Window appears. There I type a few characters, until the right login appears. Than I hit return. Now Safari starts at the website, which I wanted to visit, fills in my credentials and logs me in.
    I hope, this helps you.
    Stefan

• SimonCocking
    SimonCocking
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

the best thing is, to change your workflow.

Sorry Stefan, I don't think that's reasonable.

There are plenty of cases where initiating a web session can't be done by starting with the 1P-mini search - for example, I have an extensive list of bookmarks to internal systems which I have open at any one time, and it's simply not feasible to open them from 1P-mini each time. This is just one example; there will be plenty of others which lead to having the web browser open and requesting credentials (login expiry is one).

I'm certain there's either a bug here or a workflow which has been overlooked in the 4.0 overhaul. If Cmd-\ autofill isn't going to work in 4.0, then I'll be asking for a refund and sticking with 3.x.

-- Simon

• SimonCocking
    SimonCocking
    Community Member

Well, I can't work like this so unfortunately I'm going back to 1P3.

Unless someone at AgileBits can contribute and convince me otherwise, I'll be staying with 3 and asking for a refund.

-- Simon

• Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member

Disable 1Pmini and just use the browser extension

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member

I haven't experienced this issue since my multi-display system is down after my move...but I am not looking forward to this quirk and I appreciate the heads up. This is in part a flaw in OSX itself, the fact that the "menu" bar is locked only to one screen...the good news is that this should be remedied with Mavericks as the menu bar will now be omnipresent on all displays.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SimonCocking and @Xipper,

I just wanted to let you know that the multi-display issue is something that our developer gurus have been working to fix. Mavericks does resolve the issue, but it’s on our radar to see if we can still improve on Mountain Lion.

• SimonCocking
    SimonCocking
    Community Member

Hi @Megan,

My issue is only partially related to the multi-display problem - that is exacerbating the problem that 1P4 doesn't seem to want to match my credentials for pages that I have open. For example, if I'm presented with a login page on specific.example.com, instead of filling in those credentials (as I have a specific entry for that URL in my vault) I get a list of all example.com logins to choose from - and I've got dozens.

The fact that the UI pops open on a different physical display just makes the problem all the more frustrating.

For now I've gone back to 1P3, so I'm productive again. But I'd dearly love to move forward... :)

-- Simon

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SimonCocking,

Thanks for confirming your situation for me. You're right, the search feature in 1Password 4 could use some extra polish. I've passed this along to the developers, and hopefully they'll have a solution soon.

In the meantime, if you do decide to give 1Password 4 a go again, I can suggest making use of the Favourites feature to highlight those subdomains that you access on a regular basis to bump them to the top of the longer list.

This discussion has been closed.