Attachments imported as zero length files

zebedee64
zebedee64
Community Member

I had the App Store version of 1PW 3 running happily on a MacBook Pro w/10.8.5. I upgraded via the App Store to 1PW and as far as I can tell that went well.

I then wanted to move my 1PW information to another MacBook Pro also on 10.8.5 with 1PW 4 from the App Store. I exported to a .1pif, which gave me a folder containing a data.1pif file, and folders of attachments and previews. I moved this all to the second machine and tried File...Import. That worked, but all my attachments are now zero length files on the new machine. When I double click one to open I get a dialog saying "The file xxxx could not be opened because it is empty". If I drag the attachment to my desktop and examine I with the finder it shows as a zero length file.

I examined the attachments in the folder of the 1pif export, and they are all correct there, so the truncation to zero length appears to occur during the import to the new machine, not the export from the old machine.

Help! This is an environment where cloud syncing is not an option. I need to be able to decommission one machine and have my 1PW information on the new machine. I have made significant use of attachments and need those to move too. Thank you.

If it helps, I have performed this migration procedure with 1PW v3 in the past and my attachments moved successfully. The zero length file problem did not occur in v3.

Comments

• Thank you for reporting this problem!

I tried to import an existing .1pif file and the attachments were added for me. Are you syncing the two Mac Book Pros using Dropbox or any other solution by any chance?

• zebedee64
    zebedee64
    Community Member

No, I am not able to use any cloud syncing options due to security policy. This is a local transfer from one computer to another to upgrade to a new computer. I am using a thumb drive to walk the data from one machine to the other.

Further investigation after reinstalling 1PW on the new machine shows that actually not all the attachments survive the import process, but the ones that do are always zero length. Sometimes repeating the import seems to bring in more attachments, but they are still zero length.

My database is modest in size - 119 items and a few dozen attachments. My attachments are mostly .PNG files from Mac screen shots.

Let me know if you need more information. I'd love to get this resolved ASAP!

• Thank you for the additional information!

I will try to test it more with different attachments and hopefully will find the pattern.

Do you see any errors in the Console during import?

• zebedee64
    zebedee64
    Community Member

Now you mention it, yes there's a lot of console output. I should have checked that earlier! Some of the errors look relevant to the problem, so that's encouraging. Given the size, and the amount of clear text personal information in the log I don't want to post it. Can you give me a private way to send you a copy?

• Thank you! I sent you a private message.

This discussion has been closed.