Bug report: "Lock after computer is idle for" does not work as intended

Options
kga1978
kga1978
Community Member

I have 1P4 to lock after my computer has been idle for 480 minutes (8hours). This means that when I put my computer to sleep in the evening, when I take it out again ~ 10 hours later, I would have to put in my master password. However, this isn't happening - even after 12 hours of idle time, 1P4 remains (wrongly) unlocked.

Any idea what is causing this? Is it because that the OS opens up every now and again to check for updates, mail, etc. and this is somehow messing with 1P4s cycle? If that is there case, is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Comments

• I am not sure what could be causing this. 1Password is using the idle time reported by the system. It is the HIDIdleTime:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20040330161158532

Does the 'Lock on sleep' option work for you?

• kga1978
    kga1978
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, everything else works - if I set it to lock on sleep or lock on screen saver, then the vault locks automatically. If I set the 'lock on idle' to something really short, say 1 minute, then it also works. It's only when the idle time is set to longer - I don't know for how long though to trigger this behavior. I will try turning off 'power napping' on my computer overnight and see if 1P will lock automatically when this is turned off.

I'll report back with the outcome.

• I wonder if the idle time reported incorrectly after the computer wakes up after sleep. After all, you just had to use the keyboard or mouse to wake the computer up and it is no longer idle.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Would there be a difference in idle time between sleep and deep sleep (something I don't know)? If so, it's not commonly known that newer Macs deep sleep after four hours, a change in default options made to fit in with some EU regulations.

• jjwoodward
    jjwoodward
    Community Member
    Options

On my Macbook Pro, I have all of the Auto-lock boxes checked. "Lock on Sleep" + Lock when screen saver is activated + Lock when main window is closed + Lock after computer is idle for 10 minutes" . My lock is not working unless I lock it manually. I even closed the program and turned off my computer but when I opened up 1Password 4 this morning it opened the program right away.

Any suggestions. I need security.

• kga1978
    kga1978
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, so I turned off the 'power napping' feature in OS X. I put my computer to sleep last night at 11 and woke it up this morning again it 7 (8 hours of idle time). I had set idle time to 'lock 1P' after 4 hours. However, even with the power napping feature turned off 1P opened up without me having to put in my master password.

I have several other programs installed - including Dashlane and LastPass - and they have a similar 'auto idle' feature - for those two programs it seems to be working without any problems.

• kga1978
    kga1978
    Community Member
    Options

Any further insights into this problem? Have you been able to confirm the bug on your side?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed that if I have 1Password set to lock after 30 minutes of inactivity and my iMac sleeps before the 30 minutes has elapsed, I also can open 1Password when I wake my computer, no matter how long it has been asleep. However, if I also check the option in preferences to lock on sleep that 1Password does lock properly. That's good enough for me - once my computer sleeps, it seems to me that I want 1Password to lock, regardless of whether the time has elapsed to lock automatically. It seems that 1Password stops tracking time if the computer sleeps, though.

• kga1978
    kga1978
    Community Member
    Options

Developers, can you please look into this bug and figure out what is going on? This is a huge security risk and a major bug - can you replicate it on your side?

• Thank you for the update, @kga1978.

I am going to file a bug and we'll do our best to get this fixed (or find a workaround for it) in the next update. For now, please enable "Lock on sleep" option until the update is available.

• kga1978
    kga1978
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this critical bug? I think it's been two updates since our last conversation, but the bug remains.

• roustem
    edited November 2013
    Options

I understand that it is an important issue but there is at least a workaround for it. Were were focusing on problems that do not have a workaround.

• We'll try to get this fixed in 4.1.

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

I have "Lock when main window is closed" ticked. I have found that this doesn't work and the main app remains unlocked when the window is reopened. I did notice, however, that when the preferences window was open when the main app window was closed, the security preferences are greyed out, as they would be if it were locked.

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhh. This seems only to happen when the preferences window IS open when the main app window is closed. It works as expected when closing the main app window when the preferences window ISN'T open.

• @Oxon, you are right. The wording is not 100% correct. The "main window" in this case is really the main app.

• @kga1978, I believe that I got this problem fixed and it should work correctly in 4.1.BETA-4. We hope to get it published later today or tomorrow.

Thank you for reminding us about this issue!

• kga1978
    kga1978
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds great - thanks @roustem

• Doctordun
    Doctordun
    Community Member
    Options

I am encountering a variation of this problem. I can't change the minutes in the area for "Lock after computer is idle for"
    It is locked at 720 minutes. I can change it, close the app and reopen and the time reverts back to 720 minutes.

• ccook
    ccook
    Community Member
    Options

I also am encountering a variation of this issue with version 4.1.1. The only way I can get the program to lock is if I do so manually. If the computer goes to sleep, or even if I quit the program altogether, I can open it again with no security password requirement. I have all of the preference boxes checked except "Lock when main window is closed." Time to lock is 5 minutes.

Interestingly, if I check the "Lock when main window is closed" box, the security seems to work better. At least it locks when I close the main window or quit the program. I'm not sure whether it locks on sleep or after 5 minutes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Doctordun.

There is a current issue in our bug tracker where changes to preferences are not saved if the changed field is still active when you close Preferences. Please try changing the minutes setting and then tabbing out of the field before closing the window. Are your changes saved now?

Hi @ccook,

Thanks for providing so much detail in your post! Unfortunately, I am unable to recreate this on my end. Are you still seeing the same behaviour?

This discussion has been closed.