Error syncing from Dropbox

Options
JTBoone
JTBoone
Community Member

Please help, I sync using dropbox between my mac desktop and macbook without issue. I have just upgraded to the new iOS version of 1password (4.2.7) and i get an error (Domain Code = 714) trying to access the dropbox key file on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.2 and dropbox (2.3.2)

I have the key file in a subdirectory, does it have to exist at the dropbox root?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JTBoone,

1Password 4 for iOS requires that your 1Password.agilekeychain file be in a folder called 1Password in the root directory of your Dropbox folder. To fix this:

1. Make a backup of your data on the Mac, by clicking File > Backup Data File and store this somewhere safe, just in case something goes wrong.
    2. Turn off Dropbox sync on your iOS device in Settings > Sync
    3. Make sure 1Password for Mac is not running (important!)
    4. On your Mac, put the 1Password.agilekeychain file in a folder called 1Password so that the path is ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.
    5. Double click the 1Password.agilekeychain file to load it into 1Password for Mac.
    6. Enable Dropbox sync on your iOS device and let it download your data.

Please let me know if this gets you all synced up!

• Beobe
    Beobe
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Thank you. That is the fix. Although, I have to admit, I made the folder change while everything was still running. No problems there.
    Of course, I assumed that a directory issue like this would have been done automatically by the program. Or at least tell me that the location for syncing is not valid. Oh well. Here's an idea - if there was a 'Sync Now' button in Mac app, just like the mobile app, we would know when we are having a problem, instead of getting to midtown and finding out the updated information is not on my device.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Beobe,

I'm glad to hear that things are all sorted out for you! I will be sure to pass your feedback along to our developers that syncing could use a bit of polish in a few places to make it more user-friendly :)

• jwhoelter
    jwhoelter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

May I please add my suggestion that a friendly error message is added to the iOS application to explain where the 1password file needs to be stored when using Dropbox sync? Your explanation with the Dropbox path was exactly what I needed. If the iOS app actually just put that info up instead of the cryptic error message, it would have saved me many hours of frustration and hair pulling wondering why I couldn't get it to sync with my Mac & Windows copies of 1password (I had the 1password folder deeper in my Dropbox hierarchy). It took me quite a bit of combing through forums here before I finally stumbled upon your answer.

I'm happy my problem is solved, but that was a really unpleasant experience to find what was actually an easy solution. Useful info in the error message would go a LONG way. Thanks!

J.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jwhoelter,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I do apologize that you had to go through such a process to get sorted out, and I'll be sure that the developers hear your suggestion. It makes a lot of sense to me! :)

• Hauck
    Hauck
    Community Member
    Options

I have both 1P 3 and 1P 4.3.1 on my iPhone. I tried to follow the on-screen instructions to migrate my data from 3 to 4, but only some of my data made the trip, and I have more entries on the 1P3 version than 1P4. I tried to sync the data from 3 to Dropbox but got the error message, "This app uses a version of Dropbox integration that is no longer supported. Please update your app or contact the developers." What to do?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

@Hauck, you need to be using 1P4 for Mac in order now to be able to sync using Dropbox with iOS 4.3.1. See the explanations in this thread (basically, it's because of a new Dropbox API not supported by 1P3).

Edit: sorry, I'm unclear from your post whether you've actually upgraded to 1P4 on the Mac.

Stephen

• Hauck
    Hauck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Stephen! I have upgraded to 1P4 for Mac, and my 1P4 data are truncated there also. The only complete data set I can access is through 1P3 on my iPhone, and that won't sync with Dropbox!

Chris

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Hauck, I think it might be better to concentrate on the apparently lost data in 1P4 on your Mac. If you look in the 1P4 Mac forum you'll find some threads that may help you, like this one. Sorry not to be able to help more, but I'm sure an expert will be along soon who can help more than I can.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hauck,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having getting your data sorted out in this upgrade! Let's see if we can't get you sorted out. There is a bug in the latest version of 1Password 4 for iOS that complicated importing from 1Password 3 for iOS. Please see my instructions here for how you can get your data transferred from 1Password 3 for iOS into 1Password 4 for Mac. Once that's sorted, you should be able to sync just fine via Dropbox.

Please let me know how it works! :)

• Hauck
    Hauck
    Community Member
    Options

I got the data from 1P on my iPhone to my Mac OK, but the Dropbox step is not working. The file 1password.agilekeychain is already there, and the only choice available on the 1P menu on the Mac for the Dropbox move is "Choose another . . ." (move to Dropbox is greyed out). What to do now?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hauck,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble. We'll probably be able to sort this out a bit better if you please send us a Diagnostics Report:

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Hauck
    Hauck
    Community Member
    Options

I just went back to the iPhone, and when I started 1P3 it asked if I wanted to migrate the data to 1P4. I did so, set the sync on 1P4 to Dropbox, and it synchronized just fine. Go figure!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hauck,

I'm so glad to hear you got it synced up, although I do apologize that it's been a bit of a wonky process! If you do hit any further snags, we're here to help :)

• Hauck
    Hauck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. Shall I ditch my 1P3 apps everywhere now in favor of v.4?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hauck,

At this point, once you confirm that all your data is safely stored in 1Password 4 you can certainly remove 1Password 3 for iOS. :)

This discussion has been closed.