sync issues

Options
humanbraininrobotbody
humanbraininrobotbody
Community Member

Currently I am unable to sync between mac and iPhone.

I have 1password 4.0.2 on my mac and 1password 3.7.2 on an iPhone 5, and syncing is not working.
I use Dropbox to store my sync file. The file is stored in a folder called 1Password in dropbox (found that on another topic).

The mac is running OS X -- 10.8.5
The iPhone is running iOS 7 -- 7.0.2

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @humanbraininrobotbody,

Unfortunately, the issue you are seeing is the result of a recent change that Dropbox made to their API. We've written a blog post that should answer most of your questions here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

But, the basic gist of things is this: due to these changes, 1Password 3 for iOS can no longer sync via Dropbox. Our new version is 1Password 4 for iOS has been built to work with Dropbox's latest and greatest sync technology. 1Password 4 for iOS has been for sale in the iTunes store since December, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version).  We did this because it's basically an entirely new application, built bigger, better, faster, and stronger.  It is also a universal app now, meaning you only require one purchase for all your iDevices associated with your Apple ID, using iOS 6 or greater. Since the iOS device(s) you want to run 1Password on are running iOS 6+, the best solution is to move to 1Password 4 for iOS.

You can check out 1Password 4 for iOS in the App Store:

http://j.mp/1PasCS

Once installed, just open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap that you have used 1Password before, then tap Sync with Dropbox.

If you just need a way to backup your data to a Mac or PC for safe keeping, 1Password 3 for iOS has a nifty Backup & Restore option. 1Password can create an encrypted backup of your data file, and you can use a browser on a Mac or PC to copy that file to a place for safe keeping. Here’s our guide to get started with that:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

• sandysantra
    sandysantra
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm hoping it's close enough. I am hoping hoping hoping you are reading this. I have been posting in the forums, emailing Agile, and trying to solve this problem for 2 days; I'm getting nowhere.

I have the latest versions of 1Password on both the iOS side and the OS X side. Repeat: latest versions of everything on all devices: iPad, iPhone, MBA, MBP. The iOS devices are grabbing data from one DB ("vault"?) and the Macs are grabbing from another. I can't get everything in sync! I can't even find the agile files on DropBox! I've been trying to nuke all the DBs on Dropbox so that 1Password on ALL devices opens to a blank slate, and then I would restore my backup to one of the Macs, and then set up sync from scratch, but even after I delete the ONE agile file (group) I find on DropBox, the Macs are still opening up some database somewhere.

Please please help. Support is not responding, and I am getting no responses in the forums. I really need all my passwords current and accounted for on both my devices for work today. Please help. You are the only friendly, knowledgable person I've seen so far, with the addition of one person who explained how to open just the DropBox folder (not any one file) when setting up DropBox sync on an iOS device (a procedure that is extremely confusing and that I may have done wrong, resulting in my problems).

Hope you're reading this!

• humanbraininrobotbody
    Options

Megan, do I need to pay the full $18 price for 1pw 4 for iOS - or is there an upgrade price?

Thanks, Matt / humanbraininrobotbody

• drew289
    drew289
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also experiencing a synch problem between a Mac desktop (OSX 10.8.5, 1Password 4.0), iPhone (IOS7.0.2, 1Password 4.2.7) and Macbook in bootcamp (Win7, 1Password 1.0.9.337). Previously I've done synchs with Dropbox and it has worked perfectly.

Today I noticed that updates I've made using the Mac desktop the past couple of days are not showing up in the iPhone nor Macbook in OSX or Win7. I can't tell if this is a Dropbox or 1Password issue. I suppose I could try to synch with iCloud instead of Dropbox. What happens when I'm in bootcamp/Win7 with the Macbook, will I be able to somehow synch 1Password with iCloud?

Thanks for any assistance.

• drew289
    drew289
    Community Member
    Options

Issue solved. I posted what I did in this thread:
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/88125/#Comment_88125

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @sandysantra:

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles getting synced up with 1Password 4. I'd also like to apologize for the delay in response times for email support. The launch of 1Password 4 has us a little bit busier than usual, but we're all putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy response times - we really appreciate your patience!

So, the first thing we want to check with Dropbox sync issues is really basic stuff:

• Is Dropbox installed and running on all computers and devices?
    • Are you using the same Dropbox account for all computers and devices?

If this doesn't get us any further, I am going to need to see a Diagnostic Report from your computer, just to get a better idea of what is happening with all these Dropbox files.

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

After you've sent the Report, I'd like you to send me a private message with the email address that you used to send the Report so I can keep an eye out for it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Matt ( @humanbraininrobotbody )

Unfortunately there is no upgrade price for the iOS app.

• sandysantra
    sandysantra
    Community Member
    Options

I figured it out myself. It was very complicated, upsetting, and time-consuming. It took about 50 hours. Yes—I am not kidding.

I've been happy with Agile for years—until this. Hey, I contacted Support days ago, I posted here for help from Megan...nothing. Customer Support from Agile is obviously no longer a strong suit for them.

Part of the problem is that in iOS you CAN easily nuke all your local data—but you can't do that in OS X!!!

Of course, as discussed earlier, another part of the problem is that it's hard to figure out HOW to "point" an iOS device to the right "vault" (keychain file on DropBox).

Yet another problem is that even if you backup or export the Best Database Version of your 1Password data to a "special place" and then delete every single Agile 1Password Keychain File/Group File form DropBox, when you then open 1Password on your Mac, it will find the freaking file in the Trash and open that! OK, that is just dumb.

But the WORST part of all this is that the back-end architecture of the program and the way it interfaces with Dropbox must be SEVERELY wonky, because I was in the middle of fixing this when 1Password actually corrupted the ENTIRE file structure of the 750GB HD in my MBP. After that my MBP would not remain functional for more than 3 seconds after logging in; it froze every time. 1Password created a Kernel Panic so severe that it completely messed up my MacBook Pro. I have had this machine for 7 years and no program has EVER done that.

It took about 30 hours to erase the HD, reinstall OS X, and then use TimeMachine to restore all my data. After that, another 10-20 hours to get mail reimported from iCloud, Spotlight to re-index the entire HD, and of course TM had to re-back up the "new" image of all the data on the HD.

Oh, and then another hour to successfully DELETE all the data from 1Password on this particular Mac (you can put it in the trash, but you can't take the trash out—sing it!).

Agile, you so disappoint. No response from you to my pleas for help, nothing from Megan here, and then 2-3 days spent fixing my MBP after my entire HD's file structure was completely corrupted by 1Password.

I think there should be some kind of reward for this, this being perhaps the ultimate software company smackdown to a Mac user who is a loyal customer.

Agile, you can treat me like a crap customer—go ahead—but after 30 years in IT, yes, I CAN fix problems from even YOUR terrible, terrible version builds. I've done it this time, and I'll do it again (no thanks to you). Watch me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drew289,

I'm glad to hear that you're all sorted out - if you need anything further, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.