Syncing via Dropbox or iCloud or both ?

Options
ronen
ronen
Community Member

I have 1P 4 in my iMac , I also have the 1P in my other iOS devices .
Now everything seems to be fine .
Regarding iMac's Syncing :
Should I sync via Dropbox or iCloud or both ?
The 1P in the iOS devices are syncing to Dropbox AND iCloud AND iTunes...
Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

It's strongly recommended by AgileBits that you do not use more than one sync mode at the same time: see this FAQ (which I know also refers to folder sync, but the same principle applies).

Stephen

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.
    So what it will be best : Dropbox / iCloud ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@ronen, I'm not so qualified to answer your last question because I use manual sync only (folder sync then manual sync of the keychain via iTunes, described in post #5 in this thread).

However, AgileBits has previously indicated, in general terms, that only the App Store version of 1P4 officially supports sync via iCloud—so, depending whether you bought from AgileBits' store or the App Store that may help you decide.

Stephen

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much .
    Very appreciated !

• @ronen I personally use iCloud sync. It's the simplest way in my opinion, plus it uses the new, more secure Cloud Keychain format for your data.

But if you need to sync to Android or Windows, you must use Dropbox. Also, keep in mind that 1PasswordAnywhere is only available with Dropbox.

Hope that helps!

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

OK
    How can I change present syncing from Dropbox to iCloud Please ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@ronen, see this FAQ. There is some good stuff in the FAQs if you take a look. :)

Stephen

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

THANK ALL !

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Where can I see the backup in iCloud ?

• @ronen If you go to Preferences > Backup, you can click "Show files" to see all the backups that 1Password automatically creates.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

OK,
    The backup is in my iMac's .....√Data/Library/Backups. **
    Syncing to iCloud .
    In my iPhone +iPad (iOS 1P ver ) :
    What to choose to **sync
    : Dropbox or iCloud or iTunes please ?

• @ronen Sorry, not quite sure what you're asking in that last post. Can you explain a bit more please?

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

I made a mistake , sorry .
    What i am asking is : in Dropbox i can see the 1Password.agilekeychain file .
    after changing the sync to iCloud , is this file will be in iCloud instead of dropbox ?

• @ronen Actually, iCloud sync doesn't use Agile Keychain anymore - there won't be a 1Password.agilekeychain file. 1Password 4 is using its own SQLite database under the hood where it stores the data. It will then sync to iCloud using the new Cloud Keychain.

• Hi guys,

@ronen, 1PasswordAnywhere at the moment is exclusive to the Dropbox sync because there's the web site component of Dropbox.com that lets you use 1PasswordAnywhere. iCloud doesn't have this.

We do plan to release a modern 1Password 4 version of 1PasswordAnywhere in the future but I can't promise anything at the moment, it's one of our favorites features and so, we do want to make it happen.

• rloomans
    rloomans
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I'd like to use iCloud for sync and have an automatic backup/replica onto Dropbox on my Mac... any chance that will happen?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rloomans,

When we first introduced 1Password 4 for iOS we offered users the option to sync with multiple solutions at a time, and it ended up causing a fair bit of confusion and duplicated data for some users, so this option was recently removed from the iOS app to provide a smoother and more reliable sync experience.

At this time, we have no plans to enable multiple sync options on Mac. It's best if you pick the sync solution that provides you the protection and options you need and stick only with that.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you here, please do let me know if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.