At last--text expansion now works even with 1P open!

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member

Suddenly text expansion (via, in my case, Typinator, OS X 10.8.5) now works even when 1Password 3 or 4 are open. What changed? Whom to thank?

David

Comments

• 24hourpartyperson
    24hourpartyperson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

This is one of the things that's currently bugging me on 1P3.

Currently I find in 1P3 (web version) that if I:

A) choose to "Hide" it in either a locked or unlocked state, Typinator reports "secure keyboard mode" as on continuously.

But if I:

B) leave 1P3 unhidden and merely in the background in either a locked or unlocked state, "secure keyboard mode" is not active continuously.

Are you saying that, (A), has been fixed? If so, how? 1P3 (web version) reports no available updates.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

24hourpartyper wrote:

Are you saying that, (A), has been fixed? If so, how? 1P3 (web version) reports no available updates.

No--I still seem to get the same 1P 3 behavior you describe in (A).

Maybe I didn't notice before that when 1P 3 was hidden that the expansions would not work--I thought it was only when I had the main 1P 3 window open. The difference for me is that now the 1P 3 window can be open and the expansions still work.

In any event, with 1P 4 unlocked, expansions work whether the main window is open or hidden.

As to why the 1P 3 behavior is different now, I just don't know. Maybe because I removed the 1P 3 browser extensions?

• 24hourpartyperson
    24hourpartyperson
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

In any event, with 1P 4 unlocked, expansions work whether the main window is open or hidden.

That's good to know. Do you mind if I ask what happens when 1P4 is locked and:

a) backgrounded

b) hidden?

If expansions still happen in both of those contexts, then that's one thing I can tick off my 1P4 wishlist.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

I hadn't noticed this before, but after some experimenting, with either 1P 3 or 4, the only time the expansions don't work is if the application is both locked and hidden (File > Hide 1Password or Command + H). That's not a configuration I normally use, though, so it doesn't interfere with my workflow.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

I also had the problem with Typinator getting stubbornly stuck in "secure keyboard mode" while the main 1P4 app was running. A workaround was clicking Desktop to temporarily get it out of that mode. With Typinator 5.7 and 1P4 4.0.3 (MAS) now, and possibly before, it's no longer an issue. Interestingly, when minimizing unlocked 1P4 the Typinator menubar icon will briefly display the "secure keyboard mode" symbol. With 1P4 locked, the "secure keyboard mode" disappears after minimizing and stays that way temporarily after unminimizing.

the only time the expansions don't work is if the application is both locked and hidden (File > Hide 1Password or Command + H).

I can reproduce that, too. A workaround is to minimize/unminimize/hide. Or just minimize. :)

Not flawless but significantly improved enough that it's now a non-issue for me.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

sjk wrote:

With 1P4 locked, the "secure keyboard mode" disappears after minimizing and stays that way temporarily after unminimizing.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but where do you see the "secure keyboard mode" message? I noticed that 24hourpartyper mentioned it too but I have never seen it.

• 24hourpartyperson
    24hourpartyperson
    Community Member
    Options

DavidB wrote:

with either 1P 3 or 4, the only time the expansions don't work is if the application is both locked and hidden

In my case, unlocked and hidden also causes "secure keyboard mode" to remain active. But I'll check under which conditions Typinator isn't actually able to expand text.

sjk wrote:

A workaround is to minimize/unminimize/hide. Or just minimize.

Yes, minimising does appear to cause "secure keyboard mode" to be disabled more reliably. Unfortunately, minimising isn't a part of my normal workflow, for usability reasons - you still can't un-minimise using the keyboard.

DavidB also wrote:

where do you see the "secure keyboard mode" message?

If you have Typinator in your menu bar, its icon changes to reflect this mode is active. Opening that menu item when the icon has changed and choosing, "What does this symbol mean?" causes a window to appear explaining the nature and purpose of, "secure keyboard mode".

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

24hourpartyperson wrote:

In my case, unlocked and hidden also causes "secure keyboard mode" to remain active. But I'll check under which conditions Typinator isn't actually able to expand text.

Thanks for the info about the Typinator menu-bar icon--I hadn't paid attention to it before. (One of those things I've been meaning to get around to but never do.)

With either 1P 3 or 4 locked and hidden, secure keyboard mode is active according to the Typinator icon and expansions don't work. If I unhide 1P, secure keyboard mode is still on, but if I type an expansion shortcut, the expansion works and the icon changes back to indicate that secure keyboard mode is inactive.

• Unfortunately, we do not explicitly control the secure input mode in 1Password.

It is controlled by the system and is enabled automatically when the secure text field is active. OS X should also be disabling the secure input mode when secure text field is out of focus or when 1Password is background. It seems that is some cases it is not happening :(

• 24hourpartyperson
    24hourpartyperson
    Community Member
    Options

It seems that [in] some cases it is not happening

Has this bug been reported to Apple?

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

roustem wrote:

Unfortunately, we do not explicitly control the secure input mode in 1Password.

It is controlled by the system and is enabled automatically when the secure text field is active. OS X should also be disabling the secure input mode when secure text field is out of focus or when 1Password is background. It seems that is some cases it is not happening

Have things changed since this note was posted on the Typinator website? (It's still there at ergonis.com/products/typinator/faq.html.)
    "There is a known problem in 1Password on Mountain Lion that affects Typinator as well as other similar utilities. The developers of 1Password are aware of this problem and are working on a fix (details can be found on the AgileBits web site)."

Previously I had a link that went to an AgileBits page that explained the problem but now redirects to a general one support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/hiding-1password-enables-secure-input-mode-which-may-affect-textexpander-typinator-and-dictation-in-mountain-lion.

In any event, I am very grateful for whatever reason this has become much less annoying than before. As I have mentioned, now it only occurs if 1P is locked and hidden, not a very common occurrence in my workflow. Usually I only have 1P locked if I am not using it at all, i.e., it isn't launched.

I sympathize with others who are still affected by the problem though.

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi guys,

@24hourpartyperson:

Has this bug been reported to Apple?

Yes.

@DavidB:

Have things changed since this note was posted on the Typinator website?

That note was probably posted a year ago when Mountain Lion was released and that's when we saw the bug popped up. Unfortunately, we tried several things, nothing helped. Note their long list of other apps that also triggers the same issue.

1Password 3 is still being used and on Mountain Lion, that bug is still there.

In any event, I am very grateful for whatever reason this has become much less annoying than before.

We're glad to hear it as well. Technically, we didn't change anything explicitly to improve this, this was just as surprise to us as it was to you.

This discussion has been closed.