Folder sync not working?

Options
toni
toni
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I switched from Dropbox sync to Folder sync now that the wifi-sync is available. I've noted that timestamp of the keychain file has not updated since I changed the sync type (for few days now).

I attempted to verify if the file is up-to-date using 1PasswordAnywhere but also that gives me error:

Problem loading 1Password data file

A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.

"Last synced" status within Sync preferences shows however that file has been recently synced. I'm running up-to-date MAS version of 1Password.

Comments

• Hi @toni,

You're running 1Password 4.0.3, right?

I've noted that timestamp of the keychain file has not updated since I changed the sync type (for few days now).

Right-click on the agilekeychain file, select Show Package Content, go to Data > Default folder and sort by dates. Do you see the recent changes showing up? The timestamps only changes on the local files inside the agilekeychain but the agilekeychain itself doesn't change.

Problem loading 1Password data file

Note that 1PasswordAnywhere doesn't work locally in your browsers, you have to use it on Dropbox.com instead. By loading remotely from Dropbox.com, it bypasses the local javascript restrictions that the browsers have. If you want to do it locally, you need to figure out how to disable the restriction in the browser and then open 1PasswordAnywhere.

If you're using Safari, you can go to the Safari Menu > Preferences > Advanced, and check Show Develop Menu in menu bar.

After that, close the preference window, and then go to the Develop Menu and check Disable Local File Restrictions.

• toni
    toni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike! Big thanks! With these instructions I managed to confirm that the agilekeychain is indeed updating. I've scheduled a shell script to copy the data to external drive every hour. Which one would you recommend to backup: the keychain file, or the 1p4_zip files? Thanks again!

• Hi @toni,

Don't copy the .agilekeychain, you don't know if 1Password is in the middle of doing something to it, which mean you could get a corrupted copy on the other side.

Only copy the backup files, as you know 1Password won't touch it anymore as it'll move the completed backup files into that Backup folder.

• Martin59
    Martin59
    Community Member
    Options

Version 4.0.8 (408001)

I run cloudstation/synology
    in the cloud station folder I opened "agilekeychain file, select Show Package Content - go to Data > Default folder and sort by dates" - the newest entry dates 2013-11-28 but:

I have seven newer entries within 1password.

Preferences - Sync says "Last synced 14 min ago"
    If I edit/add an entry 1password folder syncing starts at once "x seconds ago"

If I disconnect the sync folder, again connect ("change syncing") of course it works ...

pls help

• Martin59
    Martin59
    Community Member
    Options

strange: I disconnected the sync folder, 1password saying: "file will be deleted" but it's tll there?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Martin59.

I'm sorry Folder Sync is misbehaving with the 1Password keychain stored on your Synology CloudStation. So we can take a look at the logs for clues to what's causing this problem it would be best if you can email us a Diagnostics Report; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic and your forum username in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• 1Dominik
    1Dominik
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem: After the initial sync (11 days ago) all files in the folder "data/default" still have the same date (I definitely made some changes meanwhile).

"Last synced" status within sync preferences claims there was a sync recently, however in the log file I can't see anything about syncing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @1Dominik.

I'm sorry you're also having trouble with Folder Sync. Which versions of 1P4 and OS X are you currently running? Where is the 1Password keychain data you're syncing with stored, e.g. is it on a removable volume? Have you tried disabling/reenabling Folder Sync on any systems where it's configured?

Thanks for that additional information!

• 1Dominik
    1Dominik
    Community Member
    Options

I just checked again the keychain data files in the folder "1Password.agilekeychain/data/default". They all still have the date of the initial sync (after 6 weeks).

I'm running OS X 10.9.1 and 1Password 4.1.2. My keychain data is simply stored in a folder in my home folder which is synced via ownCloud to other devices.

I've just disabled and reenabled folder sync and now 523 of 691 files have their modification date updated.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1Dominik,

Have you somehow confirmed that any data in that keychain 1Password is folder syncing with isn't actually up-to-date? For example, open the keychain with 1PasswordAnywhere and compare items you suspect are out-of-date with those in the 1Password 4 application. Or start with an item count comparison between All Items in 1P4 sidebar and the total of each category in 1PasswordAnywhere:

Older file modification times of files/folders inside the keychain folder bundle doesn't necessarily indicate there's a problem.

Are any other system/devices configured to sync directly with that keychain?

If you still have doubts about the keychain being properly synced then creating a new one from scratch might be an option. Simply delete it when disabling syncing by enabling the Delete data from the folder option:

Then reenable folder syncing with the same folder you previously used. That's one way to force all files in 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default to get new modification times. :)

Configuring 1Password folder syncing to a keychain under your home folder on a local volume should be extremely reliable, especially if nothing else is syncing with it. If you're still having a problem with it we sure want to help you fix it!

This discussion has been closed.