password generator in Safari creating additional password entry

Options
Jensen Gelfond
Jensen Gelfond
Community Member

Using 1Password 4 and the extension for Safari, I am updating some of my passwords. When I get to the point of entering my new password, I will go to the 1Password extension, generator, and then click the "Fill" button. I will then get prompted to replace my existing password, and it will update the password in 1Password, which is great.

Unfortunately, it also creates a new "Password" entry (with padlock icon) for that website (containing just the name of the site, URL, and password) and dump it into my "passwords" area which is annoying since I have already updated my existing entry in 1Password, so now I get a duplicate password every time that I have to clean out.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Does this thread help at all?

Stephen

• Jensen Gelfond
    Jensen Gelfond
    Community Member
    Options

It does, in that I can now delete all of those extra passwords by right-clicking on the "Passwords" category. I still wish it wouldn't create those redundant passwords, but at least it's a workaround.

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Jensen,

We're doing this for a reason. Suppose that you did generate a password and then paste into the site. What do you do if you press the submit button, it logs in but 1Password never prompted to auto-save it (doesn't happen often but it does)? How do you recover the password? You may not be able to paste again because the clipboard clearing feature in 1Password will wipe it off your clipboard.

That's why we use Passwords as a safety net, to avoid those situations. We provided that clean-up option now because we can compare the passwords in both Password and Logins items to ensure they're the same.

This discussion has been closed.