How can I reset the Safari extension and all of its data?

Options
pvblivs
pvblivs
Community Member

Hi,

in a [discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16966/safari-extension-and-other-devices-always-show-an-older-version-then-main-and-mini-app](previous post) I was describing the problem that the 1Password main app (including its mini companion) and the Safari extension (and Chrome and Firefox) are not in sync.

I now want to solve that problem by tracking where those extensions store their data, remove it and start over.

Does anybody know what to do here?

Thanks,
Stefan

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think the extensions themselves actually store any data. This thread and the links contained in it (in the beta forum) may help understanding the role of 1P Mini and the browser extensions. I'm sorry it's not a direct answer to your problem.

Stephen

• pvblivs
    pvblivs
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate your help!

Though the problem remains: 1Password main app and mini app show different a different version of my data. One additional indicator is that once I unlocked 1Password I can use 1Password mini unlocked, whereas I still have to unlock the Browser extension.
    Which is quite different than it was in 1Password 3.

That is the reason why I think there must be some kind of different data or just configuration pointing to different data which I have not yet found in the browser extensions.

Probably I messed something up when playing with a Test Vault switching back and forth? Or switching to or from the beta? Don't know. :-(

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, something clearly isn't right (as you have obviously divined!). I can open the browser extension, without unlocking it, when 1P4 is unlocked.

Just a thought...you are running the version 4 browser extension(s), aren't you? The old v3 ones are not compatible with 1P4.

Stephen

• pvblivs
    pvblivs
    Community Member
    Options

May I phrase it differently and say 'I de-installed the extensions like a 20 times and reinstalled from the link that 1Password4 was offering'?

I'm not exactly sure it's the right version. The main app has 4.0.3. The Safari extension 4.0.1. The iPhone one 4.3 or such...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I will take one last shot in the dark! If on the Mac you go to Preferences > General, uncheck Always keep 1Password mini running, quit 1Password and restart it (then agreeing to enable 1Password mini) does that make any difference?

Stephen

• pvblivs
    pvblivs
    Community Member
    Options

Oh no. That means, I'm on my own again!

(among other things) I had to do exactly what you told me to do in order to reset the 1Password main app. To no avail, sadly :-(

But thanks. I appreciate your help!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm so sorry not to be of more help...but you're never on your own in these forums. Someone which much greater expertise than me will come along and help, just hold tight for a while. Things are a little busy at the moment (see posts #9 and 10 in that thread).

Stephen

• ejpeters
    ejpeters
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi, I'm having he same problem/question: after removing the and reinstalling the Safari extension, it show old logins. I did manage to remove 1P4 (and mini) data by renaming some folders.

Any suggestions on how reset the Safari extension and all of its data?

Update: Not sure how I did it, but it's OK now. Probably by doing things in the correct sequence: first uninstall the Safari extension, then 1P4 and 1P4 mini.

• pvblivs
    pvblivs
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried that again:

• uninstalled extension
    • deactivated 1P4 mini
    • uninstalled 1P4
    • reinstalled 1P4
    • reactivated mini
    • reinstalled extension

Same issue: Once using the extension I have to unlock it, even though I just unlocked mini, then the passwords are some old version

Once installing the extension it says 'looking for 1P4' and then finds something. Could it be that it just finds something 'wrong'? A wrong demon process, wrong directory, wrong property in a plist pointing to a wrong directory?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pvblivs,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with 1Password now, and I'll do my best to get this sorted out just as soon as possible! I'd also like to apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

You mentioned that you were participating in our beta program. When you moved over to the release version, did you follow the guide here? If not, that could be where some of your trouble is coming in.

I think the easiest and quickest way to get this sorted out is to take a closer look at your system. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

and @ejpeters, I'm glad to hear you got sorted out - if you do run into any further snags though, we're here to help! :)

• pvblivs
    pvblivs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

thanks for following up. No, I updated chaotically not following the guide. I'm sure that's why I'm in trouble.

So please help! ;-)

• Hi @pvblivs,

Not to worry, we'll help you fix this. Can you tell me if you email us the report, I can't find any emails from you based on your email address in your profile.

If you haven't, please do so, this article will explain how and which email address to email us at. Also, please include a link to this thread, so that we can connect the dots.

• pvblivs
    pvblivs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT. I did mail you but from a different address. But I added the link.

I can only follow up next week as the issue is with my office Mac :-/

• Hi @pvblivs,

Can you PM me the different email address, so I can find it quickly. We have over 10K emails still being processed by our team, so it might be slightly difficult to find yours without knowing the address.

• pvblivs
    pvblivs
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

just wanted to say thank you. I do not know what fixed it. But I assume it was the last update to 4.0.5.

Thanks!
    Stefan

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great it's fixed now, @pvblivs! Thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.