Beware of Trying to switch to iCloud from Dropbox

Options
forensic
forensic
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

I have reverted to using 1Password 3 for now, but watch out for unintended consequences of trying to sync 1Password 4 through iCloud. (I'm using the one downloaded directly from agilebits and not from the MAS.)

Last night I tried to sync 1Password 4 on Dropbox from my mac to my iphone. No go. I then decided to try to use iCloud. But to do so, you have to access System Preferences, iCloud and turn on "Documents & Data".

1Password 4 did not sync for me that way either. I then reverted to 1Password 3 and synced it through Dropbox. Everything worked again. I went to sleep.

This morning I opened Apple Mail. I had too many new messages. Most of them were supposed to be automatically filtered into different folders through mail rules. I looked in Apple Mail, preferences, rules. The rules were not in the proper order and most of them were turned off. When I tried to turn them back on, they didn't work!

I'm not sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that iCloud attempted to sync my mail rules from my mac and screwed everything up. It took me years of making Mail rules to get stuff going where it was supposed to. I'm now trying to revert my computer from a Time Machine backup. (I'm first making a clone of my computer.)

Be aware of this possible effect of turning on Documents and Data in iCloud preferences.

(I have faith that Agile Bits will eventually find out the problem and fix it.)

Comments

• Hi @forensic,

Sorry to hear that iCloud sync messed up your Mail rules. I hope you got it restored properly with the Time Machine backup.

Turning on iCloud would likely sync your app configurations and data from other Macs that have iCloud sync on, this would affect any apps that is configured to sync with iCloud.

As for your Dropbox sync in 1Password 4, can you give us more details, what happened when you tell 1Password 4 to use Dropbox?

• forensic
    forensic
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to restore my mail settings from Time Machine.

When I used 1Password 4, changed passwords did not show up in my iPhone or iPad.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @forensic,

I'm sorry to hear that Dropbox is giving you trouble right now. Could you update the iOS app? We just released 4.3.1 today, and it fixes a lot of the sync errors that users were seeing in previous versions. Please let me know if you are still not able to get your data synced up after updating!

• cchuck
    cchuck
    Community Member
    Options

I want to keep my 1password syncing with Dropbox ( I use mac, iPad, iPhone) But recently after upgrading to Mavericks, I noticed that iCloud shows 1Password syncing. I originally set 1Password up to sync with Dropbox. Does it change by itself, or can an OS update do that? Is it possible that 1password is syncing to both simultaneously?

• gpell
    gpell
    Community Member
    Options

@forensic, are you running 1Password 4 on both Mac and iPhone? I'm pretty sure that's a must for iCloud sync.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cchuck,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

When you first set up 1Password, it will look at iCloud to see if you have any data stored there, but it will only sync once you set a sync location (either Dropbox, iCloud, or Folder Sync).

At this point, we do not recommend using more than one sync solution at a time, as things tend to get muddled up somewhere along the line. So, if Dropbox is the sync solution that you prefer, please choose only that option on your iOS devices.

This discussion has been closed.