1password mini quickly switch vault?

Options
gergesim
gergesim
Community Member

Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch vaults when one password mini is open? I'd like to avoid having to mouse over to lock icon to do so.
Thanks,
Issac

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gergesim,

There is no way to do this within 1Password 4 ... yet. Our developers are aware of it, and I know there are several of us here (at least) who would be giddy to see it too.

One of us was so excited by the idea that he enabled shortcuts manually via System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. It's a bit of a process, but if you're an impatient person (like me!) you might be interested in checking that out. :)

• m4gr01ino
    m4gr01ino
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to know that too. Since i can move to different login items with the arrow keys, why not make the vault icon selectable / focusable and populate the existing vaults below to jump between them with arrow keys, too?

If there is something on long term plans for that, please keep us updated. Would make using 1password with different vaults a LOT easier.

• johnnyhalife
    johnnyhalife
    Community Member
    Options

Did anyone do this? I'm really looking forward to this! A sample anyone?

• ericboehs
    ericboehs
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

After much too long, I have created a way to switch vaults using Alfred (keyboard). Here's the extension. To switch to the primary vault type "1pv". To switch to the 2nd, type "1pv 2", the 3rd "1pv 3" and so on.

I iterated on this script a lot. I originally wrote an applescript which launched the 1Password app and pressed a keyboard shortcut which I defined in System Preferences (like you suggested). But unfortunately you can't do that if you have any item highlighted (which is pretty much always), as it will trigger "Item > Share > YOUR VAULT NAME" instead of "1Password > Switch to Vault > YOUR VAULT NAME". I tried other methods but ultimately opening 1Password was to slow for a vault switching operation. I even looked into the 1Password.sqlite file to see if I could switch the vault in there (no luck; didn't see any vault related tables there).

I ultimately used cliclicker to click the 1Password Mini's action icon. For some reason, when I click the button with applescript it hangs for 6 seconds for no reason. I've found others with the issue as well (on other apps). I think it has something to do with that button returning "missing value" when clicking it.

Anyways, I just thought I'd post my 2 am, Alfred-centric solution for others.

Enjoy.

Edit: To anyone wondering why I get and reset the active app in the applescript: when you select the current vault the 1p mini window remains visible, but when you select any other vault the 1p mini window disappears (I'd say this is a teeny bug in 1Password). So, to dismiss the window, I reactivate the last active window (there may be a better way though).

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@gergesim @m4gr01ino @johnnyhalife

One of us was so excited by the idea that he enabled shortcuts manually via System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.

While I'm not exactly sure how that person did it, or if it's what you guys are looking for, here's a possible solution:

Setting a keyboard shortcut for a vault to use in 1Password mini:

• In Finder, navigate to Go > Go to Folder... in the menu bar (or press Command+Shift+G) and enter the path for 1Password mini:

• AgileBits website version: /Applications/1Password 4.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/
      • Mac App Store version: /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/
    • Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, press the plus button.

• Choose Other... for Application, then drag 1Password mini (that you opened in Finder) into the open dialog window in System Preferences.
    • For the Menu Title, use the vault's name. For example, if the shortcut is for your primary vault, enter: Primary Vault
    • Set a Keyboard Shortcut and click Add.
    • Repeat for any other vaults.
    • For these to take effect, you may need to restart 1Password mini. In the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini in the menu bar.

It might not be ideal though, since 1Password mini must be open, and you need to press "⌘," first (to open 1Password mini preferences), then your vault keyboard shortcut.

But you can switch vaults using the keyboard only: "⌘⌥\" then "⌘," then your vault shortcut. I know needing to use three different shortcuts isn't the best, but I thought I would let you guys know anyhow in case you want to use this.

@ericboehs (or anyone else using Alfred), here's a workflow I made. With Alfred, it's possible to have a global shortcut key to switch vaults. To use my workflow, you'll still need to follow the instructions above to set keyboard shortcuts, then change the script for each vault in my Alfred workflow to match your created shortcut.

Hope that helps someone. Let me know if you have any questions. :D

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks to @ericboehs and @JasperP for their generous vault-switching contributions. =D>

• carpenoctem
    carpenoctem
    Community Member
    Options

ericboehs I run your alfred workflow and I can see it go into 1pwmini and click and then focus back on my app. However, the vault doesn't actually change at all. :(

Default install of 1PW from Apple Store
    Default install of Alfred
    Default install of your workflow
    OS X Maverick

Let me know what I need to do to get it to actually change vaults. Thanks so much for putting this together I can't wait to get it working!

• carpenoctem
    carpenoctem
    Community Member
    Options

follow up, I installed cliclick via homebrew and changed the path in the script to that. That didn't work, but then I changed the delay from .1 to .3 and that works!! I changed the keyword in alfred from 1pv to just p.

So no I just launch Alfred type in "p 2" and I'm on my work vault. I owe you a beer.

• m4gr01ino
    m4gr01ino
    Community Member
    Options

wow, this issue is really smoothly solved in the new beta. thanks, agileBits!!

• carpenoctem
    carpenoctem
    Community Member
    Options

m4gr01ino, I downloaded the latest beta based on your comment. I don't see a single relevant change related to switching vaults. Can you elaborate on your comment for me?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @carpenoctem.

My guess is @m4gr01ino is referring to this fix in 4.1.2.BETA-2:

• Fixed problem when 1Password mini's popup disappeared when switching vaults.

You can see that and beta release notes by selecting Show betas on the 1Password 4 for Mac Release Notes page.

• jooize
    jooize
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Thanks a lot @JasperP, exactly what I wanted!

I use Cmd+[1-9] for my vaults. I definitely recommend it.

The same thing can be done with 1Password.app by typing the following in the Menu Title field. Notice there should be no “Vault” included in the end here.

1Password->Switch to Vault->Primary

• Jasper
    edited February 2014
    Options

You're welcome, @jooize! Glad it helped! :)

And thanks for sharing the tip about the main app, I hadn't thought about that.

• m4gr01ino
    m4gr01ino
    Community Member
    Options

awesome, thanks for the excellent idea, @JasperP and @jooize - works like a charm!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We love this awesome stuff from you guys - thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.