1Password not directly filling in the best-matched Login item

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1PW mini not filling in un/pw.

Comments

• bittwister
    bittwister
    Community Member
    Options

That's almost exactly what happens to me. When there are multiple entries even for different servers in the same domain, 1P4 just drops down the 1P Mini list for that domain. I have to select the server I want, even though the full server URL is in the location field, and then it fills in the uname and password and submits them. I am using Safari.

• Hi @bittwister,

It sounds like everything is working fine once you select the item. Your issue is that 1Password is showing you list of entries, instead of directly filling in the only Login item that matches the subdomain, right? 1Password 4 extension does appear to have a problem finding the best matched item on some sites. We're investigating this and I've filed this as a bug report a short while ago.

I split your post from the other thread because the other guys were having issues where 1Password cannot fill in at all, so your issue is unrelated here.

• jcrotty
    jcrotty
    Community Member
    Options

Similar or same problem here.

Running 1PW 4 Version 4.0.5 (405002) on Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101 w/ 1PW extension 4.0.1.99.

For my job I have a lot, like 30, login accounts that all have a URL like .example.com. example.com is always the domain and there are lots of subdomains. When I hit a login page for .example.com and try to use 1PW fill feature mini pass drops down listing the first 5 login matches for example.com. I can then click on the "Show 20 more items" to see the rest of the logins listed. For example, the login url is 123.example.com and there is not a single other login with 123.example.com I still get a list of of every login for example.com.

Please, fix this ASAP. I am a bit puzzled if you have any regression testing as 1PW 3 didn't have this bug.

• psidnell
    psidnell
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I work for a company with a single sign on for various internal sites which I've set up as a single entry in 1P:

MyCompany:

• website 2: jira.mycompany.com
    • website 3: gerrit.mycompany.com

If I open 1P mini I can search for "wiki", "jira" or "gerrit" and it correctly finds the "MyCompany" entry. If I then hit return it always loads the "wiki" URL, presumably because it's the first.

I noticed that once I've entered the search term and it's found the entry I want I can hit the right arrow and manually select a specific URL but I figure I've already given it all it needs to know to find the specific URL I want.

I also discovered I can rename the URL labels to make them even more specific:

MyCompany:

• wiki: wiki.mycompany.com
    • jira: jira.mycompany.com
    • gerrit: gerrit.mycompany.com

But this doesn't help.

Have I missed something?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jcrotty,

Currently the Mini sorts based on the domain name, and not subdomain. We are looking for ways to make this more intuitive in the future. In the meantime, I suggest using the Search feature in the top of the Mini: simply begin typing the title of the entry that you are searching for (or the subdomain) and it should find the entry that you are looking for. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @psidnell,

Just to keep things simple, I've merged your post with the discussion you meant it to be in ... and deleted your link. :) As mentioned above, we're definitely looking for ways to make this feature more flexible when it comes to subdomains. In the meantime, I do apologize for the inconvenience!

• Linda Verborg
    Linda Verborg
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here (1PW 4 Version 4.0.5 / Firefox / PW extension 4.0.1):

I have around 50 logins that are all subdomains of the same domain. With 1PW 3 this was not a problem and I could quickly login with the autofill shortcut. Now the mini shows me a list of 50 logins, very annoying... I assumed this was going to be fixed in the first update but I was dissapointed to see the problem still exists in 1PW 4.0.5.

The workaround suggestion as described above (search with Mini) also does not work because my logins looks like this:

abc123.mydomain.com
    abc456.mydomain.com
    abc789.mydomain.com

and if I search for the number part (123/456/789) they logins don't appear in the search results.

Please add support for subdomains in a future update.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Linda,

Thanks for explaining your workflow! I apologize that the workaround isn't ideal in your situation. Our developers (and our entire team) have been a bit busy since the launch of 1Password 4, but we've all been putting in extra hours to get things polished up just as soon as possible. As Mike mentioned earlier, there has been a report filed on this issue and we are looking into it.

Have you looked into Favourites as an option to make your life a bit easier? Marking a frequently used item as a Favourite will bring it to the top of your Mini list, accessible without having to type in the Search field or scroll through a long list of items. I realize that it might not be the solution you are looking for either, but it might help a bit while we work to make search smarter with regard to subdomains.

• yorn
    yorn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have a problem which is pretty much the opposite from http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/11564/why-are-duplicate-login-items-created

I am studying at a university, where it is quite common to have different student organisations (with their own user systems) under the domain of the university. 1Password doesn't get this, and appears to quite randomly select passwords from one student organisation and applying them on another student organisation. This behaviour is both annoying (getting invalid login errors) and insecure (sharing a password with a party that is not supposed to know it). Worst of all, it does so upon ⌘\ without prompting me if it's okay.

I would expect 1Password to at least allow me to specify not to treat the domain of the university as one organisation, and to ask if it's okay if it fills in a pre-entered password on a domain where it has never been filled before. It would also be nice if I didn't have to look through a whole lot of irrelevant passwords when pressing ⌥⌘.

I know I can disable automatic submit on ⌘\ and I know I can use ⌥⌘\ to manually select the password I'm looking for, but 1Password should be smart enough to pick the right one by itself, since I correctly filled out (and checked) the website field in all passwords.

• Alexander Czernay
    Alexander Czernay
    Community Member
    Options

I have multiple logins for a website being hosted via several different subdomains. Each login only works on its specific subdomain.

Like this:
    User: Name1
    Url: login.service.com

User: Name2
    Url: login25.service.com

User: Name3
    Url: login75.service.com

When using the auto login feature from 1Password, while already having opened one of those subdomains, but wanting to login to another, 1Password tries to login with the given credentials on the wrong subdomain.

Like this:
    Open in browser: login25.service.com
    Chosen login: Name3

This user would need to login on login75.service.com, but 1Password keeps logging him in on login25.service.com, as that is currently open in the browser.

So it seems to me, that 1Password just checks the main second-level domain (like service.com), but doesn't honor any subdomains.
    Could you please fix this, or at least give me an option to set up any login to use a given subdomain?

Alexander

• PorthosJon
    PorthosJon
    Community Member
    Options

When I try to login to any host within our domain (we have many for different applications), I get a list of about 22 possible logins, with the appropriate one being about 3/4 of the way down the list. This now means that I have to arrow down to "show more" and then arrow down further to the one I need. Why is this so?

In order to give a good baseline to duplicate the behavior, I did the following regression:

1. Removed all entries that contained host1.mycompany.com from 1P
    2. Visited the url for our SPAM Firewall which is something like barr.mycompany.com:8443/admin/index.html?loginpref=1
    3. Filled in the username and password and then used the browser plugin to manually add the login to 1P
    4. Closed Browser and reopened
    5. Used my bookmark to access the exact url
    6. Used the 1P Command-\ shortcut to fill in the password

Instead of auto submitting the only entry that matched that URL (my desired UX), it again brought up a list of 22 results, even though if I search barr.mycompany in 1P, only that last entry shows.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @yom, Alexander, @PorthosJon!

I've merged your topics with another related to the issue you've described. And here are a few others:

I hope that's informative. The subject of 1Password (sub)domain/hostname matching and selection is one of the more popular ones. :)

Thanks for your feedback on this. Please let me know if there's anything not covered in these topics that you have questions, comments, or suggestions about.

This discussion has been closed.