Cannot migrate data from 1P3 to 1P4 (all items skipped)

Kuririn
Kuririn
Community Member

Hello,

I just recently install 1P4 for IOS. I'm a long time user of 1P3 IOS.
First of all, I don't use Dropbox or iCloud sync. And I refuse to do so for various reasons.

Now, when I open up 1P3, it can detect that I have the newer 1P4 installed.
It offered me to import the data to the new one. It took me to the new app.
But when I tap "begin import", all items were skipped. Nothing got imported.

Can somebody offer a solution?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Comments

• macagile314
    macagile314
    Community Member

I have 1Password Pro 3.7.2 on my iPhone 5 and recently upgraded to 1password4. Upon opening the 1password4 for the first time, I chose to import my data from the earlier version. Opening 1password Pro immediately gives me the option to "import into new 1Password" which I select. after entering the password for 1Password4, I select the Begin Import button, and the import begins. However, the import ends with the message, "import completed. No items were imported. Skipped 273 items," and no data ends up in my new 1Password4. I have tried deleting 1Password4 and starting from scratch to no avail. Need a hint as to what I am doing wrong.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macagile314,

Try this:

• Delete and reinstall 1Password 4
    • Open 1Password 4 and select "I've used 1Password before"
    • Select "import from previous version"

Does that work any better?

If not, please let me know if you currently have 1Password installed on any computers or devices other than your iPhone, and what you are using to keep your devices in sync! :)

• oyvindv
    oyvindv
    Community Member

I have the same problem. Just purchased 1P4. I hope I don't end up having to do this manually...

• Zac Wilkinson
    Zac Wilkinson
    Community Member

I am having the same problem.

• Zac Wilkinson
    Zac Wilkinson
    Community Member

I tried that, and it still did not work

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kuririn, @oyvindv and Zac,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty getting your data migrated into the new app. You should not have to enter everything manually. That's certainly no fun!

Let's try doing this backwards. If all data is still inside 1Password 3 for iOS, let's reinstall 1Password 4 for iOS:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've used 1Password before" and import from previous version. Please let me know if this works a little bit better! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Zac,

I'm sorry that didn't work! Do you have 1Password installed on any other devices or computers?

• oyvindv
    oyvindv
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. I followed your guide, but it still does not work...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oyvindv,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having trouble. The easiest way to get this sorted out might be to get your data into 1Password for Mac. Do you have access to a Mac computer? If you don't own 1Password 3 for Mac, you can download a trial version here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html. (Please note: for this to work you do want our older version 1Password 3 and not the shiny new 1Password 4, as we'll need to make use of version 3's Wi-Fi sync.)

Here's the process:

I hope this helps! I know it's a bit of a process, and be assured that our developers are trying to track down why this is being so difficult :)

• oyvindv
    oyvindv
    Community Member

It worked :-). Thanks for helping out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oyvindv,

I'm so glad to hear that worked for you! If you run into any further snags, we're here to help :)

• marcushammar
    marcushammar
    Community Member

I have a similar issue. Have 3.7.2 iPhone version. Try to import all passwords and none is imported. They are all stored as notes. Have the old app installed on my iPad as well.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marcushammar,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty getting your data into 1Password 4. Please try reinstalling 1Password 4 for iOS as in the instructions above. If that doesn't work - do you have access to a Mac computer?

• marcushammar
    marcushammar
    Community Member

I now tried the Mac solution and it worked. Thanks for the information, I now have migrated the data to my new phone :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marcushammar,

I'm so glad to hear you got things sorted out! I do apologize for the inconvenience here - I know it's been a bit of an involved process :)

• hashir
    hashir
    Community Member

Hi. I am having the same issue. I have 1Password Pro version 3.7.2. I tried deleted 1Password version 4.3.1 and downloaded it again. It keeps saying "Import completed. No items were imported. Skipped 93 items." Sync is off on 3.7.2. I do not have a Mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hashir,

I am so sorry to hear that 1Password is acting up right now. Our tech gurus are aware of this issue and are working hard to get it sorted out just as soon as possible! Unfortunately, because you do not have access to a Mac, your best solution now is to continue using 1Password 3 for iOS until the next update for version 4.

In the meantime, I do apologize for the inconvenience!

• Shaun White
    Shaun White
    Community Member

I'm having the same issues - very frustrating. I have been using v3.7.2 and I'm trying to upload to newest version. [On a side note - was I supposed to have to pay the full $17.99 to get the new version even though I already had 3.7.2.??] I can't get the import to work. When I try to sync to Dropbox from v.3.7.2, I get an error that the Dropbox password is invalid (but it is) so I can't use that option; I also don't have a Mac. Any other ideas???

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Shaun,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting your data into the new version! I have good news though, 1Password 4.3.2 has been released in the App Store, and it fixes this import issue.

Let's start you off with a fresh install of 1Password 4, to be sure you have the latest version:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password 4 icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password 4, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Please note that deleting the 1Password data in Documents and Data is removing only the sync data from the device, and has no effect on the 1Password data stored in iCloud.)

• Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password 4 in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and import from the previous version.

As to your question about price, unfortunately, the Apple Store doesn't allow us a mechanism to provide discounts to existing customers, so the price of the app must be the same for all users. We do offer bundling prices through our website store, so if you have an interest in purchasing 1Password for Mac or Windows, just send an email into support at support@ agilebits .com and let us know that you already own the iOS app. We'll help you out. :)

• macagile314
    macagile314
    Community Member

The 1Password4 update to version 4.3.2 solved the problem I had importing directly from 1Password3 as described in my previous post.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macagile314,

I'm so glad to hear that 4.3.2 solved the problem for you! Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out :)

• 2coolbaby
    edited November 2013

I am on windows and have both 3 and 4 on my IPhone and it won't migrate. I was using Dropbox also. When I try to migrate it pulls up the previous version and a search box at Logins and says import_into_onepassword4 then not found under it. As that isn't a login I have. I am not sure what the heck it is doing, but it does it repeatedly. I have deleted and tried it several times. When I tried Dropbox sync, it synced to my sisters 1password data, which was saved in its own special folder! But since 1Password 4 doesn't let me select location and isn't letting me migrate then save to the cloud, And no, I have no mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @2coolbaby,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties getting your data migrated into 1Password 4. In order to get this sorted out, I need to know where you most up-to-date data is: is it on your Windows machine, or in 1Password 3 for iOS?

Please also let me know if you have tried the steps I suggested in my post #20 above.

• CDN_USER
    CDN_USER
    Community Member

Unfortunately I am having similar issues importing my accounts on my iPad from 1P3 (3.7.2) to 1P4(4.3.2). I don't have a Mac.
    I noticed this in 1password3 ---> "import_into_onepassword4"

Nothing imports, I have reinstalled several times and I don't have iCloud back-up installed. I did restart iOS device.
    I have a back-up of 1P3 on windows.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CDN_USER,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things imported here. You mention that you've seen the message in 1Password 3 to import into the newer version. When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, you should see a welcome screen with the options "I'm new to 1Password" or "I've used 1Password before". If you select "I've used 1Password before" and "import from previous version", what happens then?

• CDN_USER
    CDN_USER
    Community Member

Should have clarified. I follow your steps i) I used 1password before ii) import from previous version.

So what usually happens is that it loads 1P3, I enter my password and 1P3 opens. In the top right box of 1P3 (think it's the search box) the "import_into_onepassword4" command is there. And that's it.

Hope that helps....

• Gregory J. Banchy
    Gregory J. Banchy
    Community Member

I have used 1Password 3 for quite some time, and today - based on representations made by the developer - I downloaded and installed version 4. This has been an unmitigated disaster. None of the data I have in 3 migrates. The user manual is just this side of useless. I have a bunch of notes I want to move (migrate), but after spending nearly 2 hours trying some of the suggestions I am no further along. This whole process needs to be addressed - it should not be this hard.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CDN_USER,

Thank you for clarifying that. Could you try something for me? Quit 1Password 4 and then open 1Password 3. It should recognize that there is a new version and ask you if would like to import.

I really do apologize for the inconvenience here! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this kickstarts things for you.

Hi Gregory,

I'm so sorry to hear that this upgrade has not been working well for you! Do my instructions in post #20 help at all? As silly as it might seem, opening 1Password 3 on your iOS device might actually kick things into gear. Please try that as well.

If neither of these options works for you, please let me know a bit more about your 1Password ecosystem: please give me the version numbers of 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password. The more I know about your situation, the more quickly we'll be able to find a solution!

Again, I am sorry that this has been such a process for you.

• Drax
    Drax
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

I am in the same boat as gregory, nothing works at ALL. I bought the iOS version and the mac version and NEITHER OF THEM IMPORT THE OLD DATA. this shouldnt be a whole day process. the 3.7 data on my ipad will NOT import into my ios4 version on the same ipad! this is ridiculous ios 7, mavericks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Drax,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having difficulties getting your data migrated into the new version! You're right, it certainly shouldn't be a whole day process. Unfortunately, I'm going to need a bit more information on your current situation in order to provide you with the best instructions on how to proceed:

• Did you try the instructions in post #20 above? If so, could you try opening 1Password 3 on your iOS device. 1Password 3 should notice that you have the newer version installed and ask to migrate your data over.
    • Where is your most up-to-date data stored?
    • What were you previously using to keep your data in sync?

Once I know a few more details about your situation, I should be able to help you better :)

This discussion has been closed.