Can't Select Dropbox Folder (4.0.4B6)

Options
film_girl
film_girl
Community Member

Hi there,
I'm on an airplane (and a new computer to boot -- bad idea in retrospect) and I was setting up 1Password and noticed that it won't let me select my Dropbox folder. The folder, for whatever reason, was named Dropbox (My Company Name) rather than just "Dropbox" -- because Dropbox doesn't let you rename the Dropbox folder (unless you unlink and then do a resync), I'm sort of in an odd situation where I can't actually sync/use the data from that folder.

I can select the folder in the "select folder" dialog, but the "continue" button remains grayed out.

My workaround for now was just to use folder sync, and that seems to be working fine, but I don't want to rely on this longterm. I'm also using the latest Dropbox beta, so perhaps the new naming structure is part of that.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hey @film_girl

I am running Dropbox encore though maybe not quite your situation. I am running 2 occurrences simultaneously. I figure it would be just about as good to try a trouble shoot. I was able to setup the sync on my 2nd occurrence under ~/Dropbox Encore/Dropbox

I am wondering out loud here as you did if my ability to proceed was because my folder ended up in a folder called Dropbox and your inability as you mention was due to the name scheme used on yours.

My main reason for posting was to show it will allow non standard locations, for the folder. But again as you noted the naming may be an issue.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@film_girl

ps Just looked over your post. b8 is out you may wish to check for updates.

• Hi @film_girl,

The folder, for whatever reason, was named Dropbox (My Company Name)

That's weird. Is there anything different about your Dropbox account that the rest of us might not have? Like is it a Dropbox for Business account or something like that?

If you're using the normal Dropbox account, that's something you should fix to get it back to Dropbox. One of the reasons is that your MAS apps might not be able to get to your non-standard Dropbox folder (by default) because of sandboxing and entitlements.

Even in 1Password 4 for Mac App Store, by default, 1Password can only look for 1Password.agilekeychain in the Home directory > Dropbox. If your setup isn't like that, you'd have to explicitly tell 1Password where it is.

My workaround for now was just to use folder sync

Folder Sync reuses the same code as Dropbox sync, only that Folder Sync monitors a specific folder you set instead of the Dropbox folder.

Judging by your tweets, you're finally home in NYC but tired. Whenever you're energeric, let us know and we'd be happy to help you here. If you want to get private support, you can email us at support+forum@agilebits.com.

This discussion has been closed.