Suggestion: smarter selection of logins on same domain [will be improved]

Options
BrBill
BrBill
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

This has actually been on my personal wish list for over a year.

As an administrator of many products where I work, I have to log into a lot of different internal web portals using many different logins. My problem is that every time I visit one of those sites and tell 1Password "hey, log me in now", it drops down a list of every single site in my company's domain that is stored in my 1Password vault.

Since the URLs are definitely very specific, I really feel that 1Password should be smart enough to pick the right one instead of asking me to find it in the long list. It actually seems kinda dumb that I can't overcome this issue. 1Password has the info, so why won't it use it?

I can work around the issue by choosing that site and having 1Password take me there and logging in, which still involves me digging up a site from the list one way or another (say, with the search). However, this is not an optimal workaround when I'm already on that site. Some web tools require a login refresh every once in a while (looking at you, JAMA Contour) and it would be nice just to hit ⌘-\ and have the appropriate information appropriately filled.

Am I just too ignorant to figure out how 1Password can already do this, or is this functionality really missing? Either way, can it be rectified? Call it a first world problem if you will, but it would make my day a lot nicer.

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey @BrBill,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password - I totally understand the frustration that you are talking about. Let me explain a bit about why we made this decision.

The reason that 1Password does not only show you the logins for the exact subdomain saved in the item is that many of our users want to be able to log into two (or more) subdomains using the same login. For example, www.m.bestbuy.com and www.bestbuy.com. If we filtered too finely on the subdomain, then this customer's BestBuy login item would only work on one site and not the other. That said, there is the other side of the equation where customers, such as yourself, would want it to match more finely. This is a balance that we have to try to find to make sure that it works well for the majority of our customers.

Thank you so much for your feedback on this question - we really do appreciate it. We are always looking into ways of improving 1Password and love hearing what our customers want. If there's anything else we can help with, please let us know!

• braindump
    braindump
    Community Member
    Options

While I understand the desire for some users to have multiple sub-domains recognized as using the same set of credentials, I'd like to add my voice to the desire for 1P to enable functionality recognizing different sub-domains as using different credentials, while allowing for multiple sub-domain variations to also be handled gracefully.

• If I create a different Login entry in my vault for each sub-domain site under a domain, I'd like for 1P to recognize that each of these sub-domain sites use their own associated credentials.

• If I create a single Login entry that contains multiple values for the website fields (each with a different sub-domains), I'd like for 1P to recognize that all associated sub-domains in the entry use the same set of credentials.

In a professional technical setting, it is VERY common to have many sets of credentials under the same domain:

• dev.mycompany.com
    • test.mycompany.com
    • staging.mycompany.com
    • www.mycompany.com
    • wiki.mycompany.com
    • support.mycompany.com
    • etc.

I believe it is achievable to design functionality that supports both of these use cases, and encourage Agile Bits to seriously consider this feature request.

• joshlawless
    joshlawless
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for this feature here, too.

• efc
    efc
    Community Member
    Options

+1 It is very frustrating to end up with long lists of possible logins, especially now that I only see the first few and then have to click to see the remainder.

I accidentally started a separate thread on this matter, so I will repeat myself here...

It would be helpful if 1PW either prioritized the list presented in mini and plugins based on the "best match" for a given full domain name. If that would be too confusing, it would be nice if 1PW could be instructed (via preference?) that it should match not just domain, but also subdomain.

Another way to approach this might be to let the user be more explicit about what string in a URL should trigger the appearance of an item on the mini/plugin lists. In fact, it almost seems there is a step in this direction with the "display" option evident when editing logins. Right now the only choices seem to be "Always" or "Never". What if this were, in my example, "Always when visiting domain.com", "Only when visiting foo.domain.com", and "Never display in browser"? This could be expanded for as many levels of subdomain as are present in the website field.

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member
    Options

@Meek, appreciate the info.

What I'm proposing is something like a check box associated with a particular login that means basically "if the URL starts with this text, log me straight in without asking". That way everything still works like it always has … unless you choose otherwise for that particular entry. @braindump's list of possibilities above is exactly the kind of issue I am describing.

• Meek
    Options

Hey all,

Thanks for all the awesome feedback, we really appreciate it! While we can't make any promises at this time, we will definitely take these great ideas into consideration. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

i had this issue with 3.x also, but somehow it got fixed (contacting support). But now in 4.x it's back.

My problem is that only first 5 entries are shown for a domain. Unfortunately i have about 7-8, so every time i want to log in i have to go down to 'show more' and the go even more down then select my desired login. It would be a big big improvement if at least the sorting would be accordingly to the subdomain matching.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional feedback and sorting suggestion, @at3mlos.

A partial workaround for your issue with 1P mini displaying the first five of 7-8 items by default is to rename the items you access most, e.g. prefix them with numbers, so they'll be the top five displayed in sort order.

• wmoore
    wmoore
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to add a +1. I'm in the same situation as @braindump. We have lots of internal systems, staging sites, etc. running as something.companyname.com. Would be great if 1Password sorted the results by relevancy to the current full domain like @efc suggested.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to see this is being considered for a future release, and just wanted to add another vote for this suggestion. My most frequently logged in site pops up with three possible options every single time, even though they are clearly differentiated by subdomain. I also don't recall this being an issue in v3. Thanks.

• efc
    efc
    Community Member
    Options

I think you misunderstand the issue, @sjk. Forcing a particular sorting order of the items with a number cannot help in this situation because the item that should appear first changes based on the subdomain being visited. For example, if I have three client WordPress sites at a single host they might be:

clientA.myhost.com
    clientB.myhost.com
    clientC.myhost.com

When I visit any of them, they appear in some order that 1P defines, and I could force that order as you suggest. But what we need is for 1P to be sensitive to the fact that I am visiting the clientC site and list its logins with some priority. Compound this by the fact that this is often not just three clients, but 10 or more logins (I have some hosts with over 20 separate logins), and you can see that the current 1P practice breaks pretty severely.

As I see it, there are two potential solutions:

MODIFIED SORTING 1P could modify its default sorting behavior to take subdomains into consideration.

MODIFIED CONFIGURATION OPTIONS 1P could provide advanced users with a way to force a particular behavior when necessary.

The modified sorting option has the advantage of being easier on some users by not requiring any configuration changes for them. Unfortunately it is hard on other users (the vast majority, I bet) who really don't ever run into this situation. However, the good thing about modified sorting is that any user who might find themselves in this boat some day will automatically feel well cared for and be delighted by 1Password. They would find 1P more or less "reads their mind" and puts the most likely correct logins at the top of the list. That's a big win.

The modified configuration options is a bit more difficult for users to implement because we would have to revisit the logins in question and adjust their options. I'd be revisiting dozens of logins, for example, and providing a manual tweak. Also, the tweak I suggest above (expand the "display" options for a login) would not provide any immediate or automatic solution when a new login is being memorized by 1P mini; it requires editing in the full 1P. On the other hand, this approach does allow the user to express a read and definitive preference and potentially allows for more granular control by the user.

Of course, 1P could choose a combination of these two approaches since they are mutually compatible. Any preference expressed through modified configuration options could be honored through a modified sort by presenting those logins ahead of any of the auto-sorted logins, but the auto-sorted logins could still be in a "smarter" order than they are now.

• ChrisDE123
    ChrisDE123
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me. The matching subdomain should be the first item in the list. After that the rest of the list can be displayed like it is now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wmoore, @EnerJi, @efc and @ChrisDE123,

Thanks so much for adding your feedback here! As has been mentioned before, we are looking to improve 1Password's sorting behaviour, and your suggestions are much appreciated - we're listening :)

• desven
    desven
    Community Member
    Options

Uh, uh, uh. Yeah, +1 here!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it, @desven!

• ksv666
    ksv666
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi folks. I looked for a similar thread before I posted mine. Thanks @JasperP. The feature we are all talking about WAS a functioning feature in v3. @at3mlos is absolutely correct. This was working great, but then v4 removed it. I have other issues with v4 (e.g., searching across the database like secure notes and logins is not possible), but I digress. The look is great, but the other one was fine too. I just want my passwords to work and I don't really care about the window dressing.

-Kirk

• bldg13
    bldg13
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on sorting exact match first on subdomains!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello everyone,

Your feedback here has been noted in the bug report that's filed about excessive subdomain matching results with autofill in cases/contexts where more specific matching is expected and desirable (like in several examples in this topic). Plus in another related to sorting.

Holiday greetings!

• stormy
    stormy
    Community Member
    Options

This bug is preventing me from recommending 1Password 4 to all my colleagues.

It was working correctly in version 3, so it should be easy to fix. As for the reasoning you explained, make it a checkbox in the preferences if you need to. Most 1Password users ARE power users.

• jcrotty
    jcrotty
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Major feature regression on subdomains compared to 1Password3. Please fix ASAP as it can't be that hard as you have reference points in your older v3 code base on how to do it.

If, like me and many others, you use 1Password at your job it's a huge bummer to wade through 20+ subdomain logins many times daily.

• sdchargerfan
    sdchargerfan
    Community Member
    Options

Add my vote for this bug fix. I have 18 logins on one domain and it seems that the one I want is always at the bottom of the list.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

1Password 4 is brand new from the ground up and we haven't finished restoring 1Password 3 features and functionality. We don't want to borrow/reuse code from 1Password 3; we want to build a better implementation of these capabilities in 1Password 4.

Improvements for (sub)domain matching will happen and we appreciate your patience. Stay tuned. :)

• jcrotty
    jcrotty
    Community Member
    Options

As a software developer I get it and understand you can't just lift it out of v3. However, we don't need a "better" version of what v3 had for subdomain handling. I would settle for v3 subdomain functionality in a New York minute as it was correct from users perspective.

I also get you probably have bigger fish to fry but for some long running 1Password users this regression has been a PITA.

• Alex Kovshovik
    Alex Kovshovik
    Community Member
    Options

A love 1Password and yet this is annoying. I have about 20+ subdomains in my company. Could you please at least make this configurable? Let me specify which of my logins require exact subdomain match and which ones (by default) show up for all subdomains?

Possible solution: this could be just an additional option on the login editing form, in the "display" drop-down:

• Always
    • For exact subdomain - new option!
    • Never display in browser

Please! Please! Please!
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Alex Kovshovik.

• neugen
    neugen
    Community Member
    Options

+1 This is the most required feature for me :)

• Sebastian Tänzer
    Sebastian Tänzer
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me. Please consider this in one of your next updates. You bring a lot of new stuff in the updates, yet this one is still unchanged. It makes life as professional user really hard.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again for your ideas and other feedback about this. We understand it's important and, like you, are eager for fixes and improvements! :)

• Dave Fox
    Dave Fox
    Community Member
    Options

+1. Absolutely essential for me. Seems that, at least, 1P should be placing the matching subdomains at the top of the list of matches.

My fingers and toes are all crossed that you're about to roll this out!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Dave, et.al.

One thing I can say is that our developers have been giving some serious recent attention to this issue.

I'm a toe-crosser, too. :)

• paulklinkenberg
    paulklinkenberg
    Community Member
    Options

This issue is the exact reason why I took the time to go to this site, and looked through the forums. A big fat +1 from me too! (and I find it really strange why it wasn't fixed in 4.0 already; it's a 101 for web users imho.)

This discussion has been closed.