Upgrade to 1Password 4

Options
Avro
Avro
Community Member

Greetings:

I currently have an installed 1Password 3.8.21on my laptop. I want to upgrade to 1Password4 and install on my new laptop that I am getting tomorrow. Do I have to install it on the old laptop (Mac) first? Or should I do an export or a backup to copy to the new laptop and then install #4 on the new laptop and have it gather the information from that backup or export?

Thanks

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi Avro,

Please make sure sure to keep the older laptop until such time, that you are 100% sure all necessary data has been migrated.

I believe the simplest way for you to proceed will be to simply copy over the old 1Password.agilekeychain to the new Mac. I would also copy over the backups. Are you using Dropbox sync with v3 ? If you can provide more details on your situation, it can let us help you, more easily.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Avro,

Congratulations on the new computer! I always find new devices to be so exciting ... (perhaps I'm a bit of a geek.)

@thightower is right, backups are especially important when you are migrating to a new computer. I would recommend running 1Password backup (File > Backup) and a Time Machine backup (if you have one) as well, just to be safe.

If your data is already stored in Dropbox, getting set up with 1Password 4 should be a breeze. Simply log in to Dropbox before installing 1Password 4 on your new computer, and 1Password should detect your datafile.

If your current laptop supports 1Password 4, you are welcome to install it already and simply let Migration Assistant do all the hard work transferring your programs and data to the new machine. (Please note that 1Password 4 requires OSX 10.8.5.)

Please let me know if you have any further questions :)

This discussion has been closed.