Beta mix-up causing "Beta Build Expired" alert? [FIXED in 4.0.5]

Options
Monocle
Monocle
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Good morning! I purchased 1Password 4 at the beginning of October directly from your website but I didn't install it until Mavericks arrived and I was in a position to upgrade. Getting it to accept the new license file was a little tricky but it did eventually take. All seemed to be working well - apart from remembering the sleep settings - but this morning when I clicked on the desktop icon, I got the message 'Beta Build expired - Please download and install the latest beta build'. The programme is working within Safari but I can't open it to alter, change, check secure notes or passwords. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I wasn't aware I'd downloaded a beta from the Agile website.

Hmm. According to your pop up, my Firefox extension now seems to be an older one...although I'm pretty sure I added this using 1Password 4? That has now been deleted but my inability to enter 1Password 4 and tinker with the settings mean I can't re-add it and access any of my Firefox websites which need passwords, and sadly one important site has only ever run properly when accessed with Firefox. Perhaps I should have purchased 1Password from the App Store instead? Help! Thanks!!

Update From AgileBits Admin: The "Beta Build Expired" message accidentally appeared in version 4.0.2 and is fixed in the latest version. Please see sjk's post for upgrade instructions for confirmed steps on how to fix this.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

What happens if you go to Preferences > Updates, uncheck "Include beta builds" and then click on "Check now"?

Stephen

• FromOZ
    FromOZ
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C — You can't even load 1Password! I have (had) exactly this issue as well. C'mon AgileBits - this is not good enough.

@Monocle — solution I found was to go to the AgileBits download page and download it again. The version I downloaded was current 4.0.5, but once I replaced the version on my iMac it was able to load. I will note that the version I had installed (don't know version number as I couldn't open it) was that downloaded from AgileBits website and updated at least once.

• Alpinweiss_III
    Alpinweiss_III
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same. Also the same pattern applies; I purchased 1Password 4 on 10th October, and honestly have had nothing else than issues since then. Agilebits Support does not bother to respond - I have sent them two friendly emails. Considering sending third not so friendly one. I have been a happy user of 1Password for many years, but this is not acceptable at all what I am experiencing now. The 1Password 4 is totally unusable on my both systems running 10.9. with Safari 7.0 I did not purchase from App Store as I received nice upgrade offer from Agilebits. But that money was obviously wasted as this is, as said, unusable for me.

My 1Password extension has not worked a single day as it was with version 3. It does not fill in the login fields. I have done all the steps advised and followed their KB articles; added 127.0.0.1 to my proxy configuration, added the same to Sophos allowed websites, re-installed the extension for Safari 7.0, etc. But it just does not fill in the web logins. No response from the Support. This is getting ridiculous.

The beta issue. Yes, had that and went to download it. Seems the App itself is working now. Awesome. Have extension 4.0.1 installed on Safari. Now my both systems are saying repeatedly "Looking for the 1Password app. The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly." Well well. Did I just say I upgraded the App itself and it is working. When hitting "Try again" the 1Password 4 mini keeps asking "Use in Safari" - when clicking, it just loops endlessly. Went and removed the extension. Installed it again. No change.

Yes, please Help! Still having bit of a hope.

• ljrkrispes
    ljrkrispes
    Community Member
    Options

Same as above. I did not realize when I bought the program that I was getting a beta or I would have waited. I am running Mountain Lion and have the same issues as Alpinweiss---no auto fillins. Some URLs go to fSupport contacted me and worked with me for a few days and now no communication for 2 days. Really unacceptable customer non-service

• spjohnso
    spjohnso
    Community Member
    Options

Just got the dreaded beta build expired message too.

• FromOZ
    FromOZ
    Community Member
    Options

@spjohnso can you try the fix I list in my previous post - could you advise if it works for you then other people coming to this thread will know there is a solution.

• luclemo
    luclemo
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Same issue here. @FromOZ I'm tempted to try your fix. At the same time I'm nervous about re-downloading and reinstalling. It was hairy enough going from 1PWD3 to 4... now I have concerns about database corruption, dropbox issues etc not to mention possible errors from running 2 apps simultaneously. Would really love to hear from the support team on this as it's pretty bad.

edit
    Agreed with @ljrkrispes -- it was not clear that the upgrade from 3 to 4 was a beta upgrade. A bit misleading.

• FromOZ
    FromOZ
    Community Member
    Options

@luclemo I'm just running version 4, it was going fine, no problems before this beta message this morning. For security you can make a copy of your 1Password data file before installing current version from AgileBits website.

• luclemo
    luclemo
    Community Member
    Options

@FromOZ the whole thing is a bit tricky. My upgrade from 3 to 4 (version 4.0.2) went ok. However I still have version 3 installed on my system as there weren't any clear instructions (that I could find) on how to get rid of it safely. Dumping version 3 into app cleaner indicates that it will delete a bunch 4 related files, so there it sits. Now I have version 3 (useless) on my system and version 4.0.2 no longer working. Are you suggesting I should download yet another version (4.0.5) and have 3 separate installs? Given the volatile nature of syncing (both data and browser extensions) I'm weary... Perhaps there is no need to be?

• Monocle
    Monocle
    Community Member
    Options

Well I've used 1Password since they first started and I must say I've always thought of them as unusually helpful. That being said, an official comment would be rather welcome!

• sspeairs
    sspeairs
    Community Member
    Options

I too got this 'beta' message but by d/l a new version FROM THE PAYMENT email link, everything now seems to work.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Suddenly, I cannot open 1Password 4 from the Programs folder. A popup says: "Download latest data build". Unfortunately, that's not possible since I can't open it. Restarting browser/computer didn't solve the problem.

PS.
    1P Mini and 1P in the browser works perfect.

Running Mavericks on an iMac.

• luclemo
    luclemo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I took the plunge. For those who are hesitating: the new download replaces the previous version. Works like a charm. Thanks to all of you.

• Kearneyk
    Kearneyk
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having the same problem only my message says "download latest beta build" I too tried restarting browser/computer several times but got no results. Running OSX 10.8.5 on my iMac.

• I, too, am having the same problem...is there an answer??

• virchaux
    virchaux
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. Same fix. Not sure what happened but downloading it again seem to take care of the problem (at least for now).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This looks like the same issue as referred to in this thread, where there is also a suggested solution (in essence, re-download and reinstall). Note at present the solution is not suggested by AgileBits, but by a user for whom it seems to have worked!

Stephen

• Vinny Lee
    Vinny Lee
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Saw the "Beta Expired" pop up message as well when I tried to Load the program.
    I upgraded at a discount from 1Password3 since I had it since 2012 (no free upgrade boohoo).

Found this forum and did what someone reccommnded above:
    Downloaded new version from AgileBits site (not Mac App store since that still thinks I should pay $44.99).
    Dragged the 1Password4 app straight into the Applications folder and replaced the old one. Works fine now.

Linky:
    i.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-4.0.5.zip

PS (on a Macbook running Mavericks). Dropbox sync seems to be working fine across devices (them apples and androids alike).

• jasonguthrie
    jasonguthrie
    Community Member
    Options

Same message here. I was surprised not to see an "official" response here yet, but tried the suggestion to download the latest version from the site and it seemed to work just fine.

• Siân Fever
    Siân Fever
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

When I try to open 1 Password 4, it doesn't open, and instead I get a message box that says "Beta Build Expired. Please download and install the latest beta build."

I haven't updated my OS, and it's been working fine up until now. How do I resolve this?

Many thanks!

• Kearneyk
    Kearneyk
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like the unofficial solution is to download again. After reading all the comments I decided to download again from the 1P4 email confirmation I received and the program seems to be working just fine for now. It would have been helpful to get an official response from 1P4 help team but I guess that is on its way! As for another issues about removing 1P3 from my applications folder, well I am waiting on a response from the help team on that and its been just short of a month now. Not sure when if ever I will hear from them. Thanks to Vinny Lee, luclemo, and a few others for your comments and suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Let's hope it takes for the long haul.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See this thread for a discussion and possible solution.

Stephen

• plagasse
    plagasse
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Downloaded another copy (from the download page) and it is working -- at least until it thinks this "beta" has expired too. Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully, we won't be back here again in a month doing this again!

• Tore Eliasson
    Tore Eliasson
    Community Member
    Options

I am a betat tester and paid upgrader to pw4. V^Cant start app anymore getting message betat build expired please dl latest. Where do I dl a working copy as i bougt it on the agila site?

• zenmasterfred
    zenmasterfred
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem, paid to upgrade from 3 to 4 and can't open it now. Have been using it no problem until today.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options
  • rfobri
    rfobri
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I downloaded 1password 4 for Mac from the website (at the time, I wasn't prompted to pay, so I assume this was a free trial), but when I went to open the program today I got an error that said "please download and install the latest beta build". I assumed this meant my free trial was over, so I went to the apple store and bought the full product, since I'm really enjoying using it. However, now I'm not sure how to transfer my data from the old version of the program to the newly installed one. Help?

UPDATE: the comment below resolved this issue for me. Thank you!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This article on leaving the beta might help you.

Stephen

• PhilP
    PhilP
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. I uninstalled based on the user solution referenced above and reinstalled version 4.0.1 which I had available on my harddrive from a previous update. I then rejected the dialogue box to upgrade to the latest version. The first time I did this process I upgraded and got the same "download latest beta" error. It appears to be a bug in the latest update version.

• dnade
    dnade
    Community Member
    Options

Am afraid to reinstall v4, because stored serial number proving purchase cannot be accessed due to our beta issue. Catch 22!

Neither can I find a current backup either in the Library folder or on Dropbox. 1Password has been reporting backups each day

This discussion has been closed.