1Password 4 not unlocking automatically

Options
JeromeC
JeromeC
Community Member

Hi

Before 1Password 4 there was an option avoiding to type the master password, that is I trust my Mac session security enough (+ the fact that I go to screensaver soon enough after inactivity and require password to open the session again), it was great.

Now I can't find such an option anymore in the version 4, I have to type that master password often enough so it bothers me.

Plus each time I reboot my Mac, I am asked to allow 1Password in the Keychain, I always answer "Always authorize" but at the next reboot, again.

I don't know if both problems have a link, it could be.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Tom Hedeen
    Tom Hedeen
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. I have my master password in a hidden spot on my computer that I would copy and paste to open 1Password. Now the login does not let me paste. I have to type my password every time, and I don't like the inconvenience.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi guys,

Please refer to @MikeT's reply that addresses 1Password auto-(un)locking behavior: here. And elsewhere he mentioned:

It's a security risk to store your 1Password master password in the OS X keychain as clear text, so we're not going to bring this back. There are other reasons but this is the main one.

About this, @JeromeC:

Plus each time I reboot my Mac, I am asked to allow 1Password in the Keychain, I always answer "Always authorize" but at the next reboot, again.

If you run Activity Monitor do you see Password Helper (from 1P3) running? Also, if you run Keychain Access and search for 1Password do you see any matching entries?

About this, Tom Hedeen:

I have my master password in a hidden spot on my computer that I would copy and paste to open 1Password. Now the login does not let me paste. I have to type my password every time, and I don't like the inconvenience.

It's still possible to copy/paste into the unlock field of 1P4 (which we never suggest anyone do) unless something is running (e.g. clipboard management software) that's interfering with it. Or do you mean something different?

• JeromeC
    JeromeC
    Community Member
    Options

OK.

Regarding "1P3" no, there is only "1Password mini" running.

In keychain I only have one entry called "1Passwd Master Password".

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @JeromeC.

If you'd like to email a Diagnostics Report it can help quickly determine the cause of access to that 1Password entry in Apple Keychain after a system restart. Instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Easier than us going back and forth with more questions/answers. :)

Thanks!

• JeromeC
    JeromeC
    Community Member
    Options

Sent !

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it, @JeromeC. I'll follow up with you in email now.

• JeromeC
    JeromeC
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I sent you both reports, you'll let me know. Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @JeromeC. Now that you've resolved the problem with keychain prompting at system startup by removing a couple old 1P3 files, as Kyle suggested in email, I'll close this topic. Feel free to start a new one if we can assist you with anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.