Old passwords

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

If I use the password generator each time I create a new password or update an existing one, is there any reason to keep old passwords? For many logins I have five or six old passwords and I would like to clean this up so "Passwords" contains only the current password for each login.

Comments

• Larry,

Please see if Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords would do this you.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

@LarryMcJ

I also found it necessary to use the option under each vault I have. So multiple vaults equal multiple uses to eradicate the redundant generated passwords. Which sounds self explanatory but..

My teachers always said if you have a question, someone else has the same question. So I provided the answer above.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, guys. I'm going to wait to do this until I get a confirmation that "Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords" removes all the passwords EXCEPT the one associated with the actual login. Thanks, again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @LarryMcJ!

Here's something @MikeT posted about items added automatically to the Passwords category and using Remove Redundant Generated Passwords to remove them:

These are not duplicates, they're separate items that are sort of redundant because of the past use of the generator to include a new password in that Login. When you create a password with our Generator in the 1Password mini, a copy is saved to the Passwords category, so that you don't lose it if you forgot to save it in the Login. After you copy the password, you then usually put it in the site to save as a Login.

>

1Password 4 have a tool built-in to let you remove the redundant password items. To do this, open the main 1Password app, go straight to the Help Menu > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords, or you can right-click on the Passwords category to select Remove Redundant.

With that background, let's address what you wrote:

I'm going to wait to do this until I get a confirmation that "Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords" removes all the passwords EXCEPT the one associated with the actual login.

Remove Redundant Generated Passwords offers to move "redundant" items from the Passwords category to Trash that have corresponding Login items, with a dialog window like this:

It never removes passwords, which the wording may seem to imply. It only trashes items from the Passwords category that can be restored if desired until Trash is emptied. And it won't trash any unique items from the Passwords category, i,e. those without corresponding Login items.

I hope that helps clarify how RRGP works so you can better choose whether or not you'd like to use it. :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, sjk, but I think we now have a bigger problem. I used the RRGP and it moved 103 redundant passwords to Trash. I then looked at "Passwords" and there were still 40 passwords listed there. First, I don't understand why they would be listed under "Passwords" when they're a different password than the password stored in the Login items for the same 40 Logins.

It gets worse...now, nothing works with Go-and-Fill. When I double-click a login it takes me to the correct page, but will not fill my credentials info. But when I click on 1P in Safari and click that login item again, it fills the info and logs me in. I tried about 50 of my 100+ logins to make sure this behavior was consistent...none of them work and they all used to work. Same thing happens if I try to Go-and-Fill from a 1P Menu Bar login.

I tried restoring a few of the passwords from Trash...it made no difference and those logins failed to work with Go-and-Fill as explained above. What I would like to understand is why there needs to ever be any passwords stored under "Passwords"? If the logins are all I need and they contain my current passwords, why retain all the other, especially if they're outdated? Perhaps I'm missing the intention of having "Passwords" in the left column. Thanks for your help...even after using 1P almost since its inception, this proves it's still possible to get confused :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @LarryMcJ. I'm sorry you're having this new trouble using Go & Flll with Safari. It's very unlikely related to having used Remove Redundant Generated Passwords and merely coincidental timing.

Have you made any changes to 1Password and/or your system since Go & Fill was working properly? If you haven't restarted your system since the problem started or after the latest 1Password update please give that a try.

And if you're still stuck after that we'd like to work with you directly through email to fix this. To do that please start by sending us a Diagnostics Report from the Mac where you're having trouble; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but please do include a link to this topic in your email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. After seeing that report we'll be able to better assist you.

About the Passwords category, part of its purpose is for what I'd quoted from @MikeT in my previous reply:

When you create a password with our Generator in the 1Password mini, a copy is saved to the Passwords category, so that you don't lose it if you forgot to save it in the Login.

About why you might still have items there after using Remove Redundant Generated Passwords, plus another purpose, he wrote:

Most likely, those are generated passwords that was created when you used 1Password's Password Generator. It used to be stored in Generated Passwords in 1Password 3 and now we've promoted it to its own Passwords Category on the sidebar. Folks wanted to have a simple category to store simple password, codes, PINs, without having other type of infos and storing them in Logins.

1Password doesn't require items to be permanently stored in Passwords if you don't have any reason(s) to. RRGP usage can assist with some of its cleanup; the rest must be done manually.

And as I've mentioned elsewhere:

… there's been confusion with having generated password items automatically stored there [Passwords category] mixed with items used for other purposes so a new separate category for storing those latter items may be added.

You're certainly not alone being confused by this still somewhat nebulous category. :)

Now let's get Go & Fill fixed for you!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

No changes at all, and restarted several times. Retired geek and developer on this end so understand the generalities :-) I'll send a diagnostics report in a few minutes.

Regarding the Passwords...I understand having "ONE" password in "Passwords" folder for exactly the purpose you stated. In fact, that's what I said I wanted to begin with. But after using the RRGP I now have 147 logins for which I used the Password Generator to create strong passwords, but I only have 40 passwords in the "Password" folder. So something definitely went wrong when I used the RRGP. How can I get a copy of the existing 147 unique passwords into the "Passwords" folder?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostics report has been sent with a note referencing this thread.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for mailing the report, @LarryMcJ.

One thing I've noticed in it is that your system hadn't been restarted for over 3 days. In my last reply I asked:

Have you made any changes to 1Password and/or your system since Go & Fill was working properly? If you haven't restarted your system since the problem started or after the latest 1Password update please give that a try.

When you said you've "restarted several times" did you mean 1P4 or your system? After doing a system restart can you please let me know if Go & Fill is still failing? Thanks!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Probably a miscommunication. I may not have restarted in three days but I've restarted several times since Go & Fill stopped working, which has been quite some time...I just now got around to asking about it here :-) In any event, I restarted again and it still isn't working.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries, @LarryMcJ. Since I'm a user who's already preferred minimizing system restarts it sometimes seems awkward asking others if they've done it or especially suggesting they do. :)

Best we move this into email now and get your 1Password issues resolved as soon as possible!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, oversoul...I'll wait for your email to start things rolling.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Still puzzled as to why this suddenly started working again with no system or software changes, other than updating to Mavericks. Regardless, it's all working fine now and thanks for your help!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's mysteriously excellent, @LarryMcJ. :)

Thanks for letting me know.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Per your email, I just sent a new diagnostics report...hopefully, it will show the cause of this starting to work again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @LarryMcJ. After before/after report comparisons whatever caused your Go & Fill problem to resolve itself remains a mystery.

I'll close this topic now and if there's further related followup let's do that through email. For anything else feel free to start a new topic, of course. :)

This discussion has been closed.