"Password" Category

Options
pomme4moi
pomme4moi
Community Member

Unlike the templates for Login and Software, I notice that the template for the Password category cannot be changed to add new sections and new fields. Any reason for this? Perhaps make it editable in a upcoming update? Thx

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The Password category only stores passwords you have generated and which are not associated with a saved login. (See post #2 in this thread.)

Stephen

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

I believe that's incorrect. You can create any password item you want simply by clicking the + at the top and selecting a Password type. I use the Password Category to store info such as the combination to my home safe, my wife's 1pw file, my financial files encrypted disk images, etc.

The new form I see includes one modifiable section with one field. I seem to be able to add additional sections and fields within sections simply by entering something in the first one and hitting return. More are created once the 1st is used.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Oh, apologies @oshloel and @pomme4moi, I didn't appreciate there were other potential uses of the Password category. However, I just wonder whether, as it has a specific function, it's a good idea to use it for other roles. I assume having other items in there would not affect the Remove Redundant context menu item function but I don't know!

Stephen

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

Nope other items don't affect the Remove Redundant function. In fact, when other items are there is when that function is most useful from my perspective. That's not to say that a Passwords or similar category independent of Generated Passwords isn't a good idea.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that information, @oshloel.

Stephen

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks all. I was thinking of using the Password category for my Excel file passwords and my encrypted disk passwords. But I would want to alter the template a bit for this. I currently use Secure Notes for these passwords, but it's easier to copy a password if it's in a specific password field. Where do other people store Excel passwords in 1Password?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pomme4moi,

I think that, as @oshloel suggests, Passwords is the category that you are looking for. His use of the category has given me some new ideas- like @Stephen_C, I just saw it as the place where 1Password stored generated passwords.

Please let me know if you have any further questions :)

This discussion has been closed.