Set item name of 1P Mini Generated passwords

Options
CSchwang
CSchwang
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Hi ,

first of all, thanks for 1Password. I recently upgraded to Version 4 and I like it a lot.

There's just one thing I could not figure out till now:
When using 1Password Mini's Password Generator, is it possible give a name to the item directly? As I see it, 1Password stores the generated password as "Passwords -> {Frontmost Application Name}". This in turn means, that I have several passwords named after "Disk Utility" (Disk Encryption passwords) or "Terminal" for example. So, is there a way to name the item when generating a password (the drop down arrow next to "Copy" does nothing, bug?)

Right now my process for dealing with this is as follows:
1. Generate Password and click copy
2. Open 1Password, Click Passwords Category
3. Sort by Date Created
4. Edit newest item and change the name

Is this how it's intended, or am I missing something.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CSchwang,

I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password 4 so far!

First off, I just wanted to let you know that there is a bug in the current version that prevents the easy copying of a password from the generator, but our developers have managed to squash it, and it will be working for you in a future update. :)

You are right, those generated passwords can pile up, and if you do happen to have a window open in front of your browser when you're creating one, it can get a bit confusing. I generally make it a point to update (or create) my 1Password entry while I have the password saved on the clipboard, but I'll be sure to pass along your suggestion of including the option of naming the password right in the generator dialogue box. That could make things easier for a lot of people. Thanks for the feedback!

• CSchwang
    CSchwang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks for letting me know. Good to know that I didn't miss anything. It would certainly be awesome to name the item right from within 1P Mini, but I can't fault the developers for not including that functionality. The default heuristic seems to work quite well for many use cases (1 Password per App), only Apps which need more than that cause clutter.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CSchwang,

In any case, our developers are looking for a way to make the Passwords field more useful, and less clutter-full. I'm sure they'll come up with a handy solution soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.