1Password Mini Not Working With Chrome + Multiple Profiles

Options
joefitzgerald
joefitzgerald
Community Member

Issue

When using Chrome with multiple profiles, the 1Password extension / 1Password Mini stops working as soon as you use a second profile.

Reproduction

1. Use Google Chrome 30.0.1599.101
  2. Use 1Password 4.0.3 (402003)
  3. Set up more than one profile in Google Chrome (e.g. a personal Google account + a work Google account)
  4. Ensure the 1Password extension is installed for both profiles
  5. Quit Chrome
  6. Launch Chrome
  7. Log into a website for which you have multiple logins using the Command-\ shortcut - observe that the extension / 1Password mini work correctly
  8. Switch to your second profile using the icon in the top right of your Chrome window
  9. Log into the same website using the Command-\ shortcut - observe that the extension stops working - either it does not bring up login options, or when you select one, it does not fill the fields
  10. Log into any other website in either profile for which you have multiple logins - observe that the extension stops working - either it does not bring up login options, or when you select one, it does not fill the fields
  11. Observe that clicking the 1Password extension key in the Chrome extensions icon area (as opposed to using the shortcut or the 1Password Mini icon) does correctly fill the login

I know a few other people have posted on this, but I can reliably reproduce the scenario above.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joefitzgerald,

Thanks for providing such a detailed workflow. We are currently investigating 1Password Mini's behaviour with multiple profiles. You're right, it doesn't behave nicely. I've added these steps to our bug report. We'll do our best to get this working more smoothly for you soon!

• pre
    pre
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I just installed 1Password 4 & Chrome extension to a fresh install of Mavericks.

First the symptoms using Chrome with multiple profiles were as described above (=nothing happens, extension just does not work).

However, after reboot I got an actual error message: http://cl.ly/image/050i0W2f3r2K

"Chrome is connected but its code signature could not be verified. Filling and other features are disabled until this configuratino issue is resolved."

Please investigate, not having the browser extension is fruuuustrating.

• pre
    pre
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi!

I downgraded to 1Password 3.8.21 (build 32009) and Chrome Extension 3.9.19.90 on Mavericks.

The previous version of the Chrome extension still works -- but not as expected.

The problem with the old version is that 1Password shortcut key opens Chrome extension always on the same Chrome profile.

Reproduce as follows:

1) Ensure you have 1Password 3.8, two Chrome profiles and Chrome extension 3.9 installed for all your Chrome Profiles.

2) Open two different Chrome sessions, one with Chrome Profile A and the another with Chrome Profile B.

3) Using Chrome Profile A, open a website where you have a password saved.

4) Using Chrome Profile B, open the same website URL.

5) Using Chrome Profile A, press chrome extension hotkey (cmd-', cmd/, whatever you have)

--> Chrome extension fills your password into Chrome Profile B (expected result was having password filled in Chrome Profile A).

This is bad! I understand why you made the "code signature verification" feature, it fixes this very problem. However, it does not yet work with multiple Chrome Profiles because it blocks the Chrome Extensions completely.

Please investigate on this. Currently 1Password is practically unusable for me. 1Password has been one of my most important tools already for 4 years and I'd want to continue using it.

Thank you!

• jmay
    jmay
    Community Member
    Options

Having same or similar problem (latest 1Password & Chrome extension).

I installed the extension into a second Chrome profile. Now I can only populate logins in profile #2. If I disable the extension in profile #2 then it works again in profile #1. So I need to switch the extension activation back & forth between profiles for it to work.

This is currently not a show-stopped for me, but it is annoying. Hope it can be resolved quickly. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pre,

Thanks for including your steps to reproduce here. Our developers are still looking for a way to improve this behaviour, and I have passed this extra information along to them. We really appreciate your patience as we work to sort this out!

Hi @jmay,

I apologize for the inconvenience, I know this is really limiting in terms of workflow. We'll do our best to get this improved soon!

• milesthibault
    milesthibault
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my vote for this to be fixed. Thanks!

• timcharper
    timcharper
    Community Member
    Options

Also experiencing problems since enabling profiles. It's like both instances of the 1Password Chrome Extensions have an open connection, and 1Password can't tell which profile should have the call dispatched. I believe the Chrome extension API gives you enough hooks to tell if the window is focused, so should be fixable in the chrome extension.

(if I have a window from both profiles opened simultaneously, then it seems to prefer to use the profile for which no windows are currently the focus, which I think leads to the problem of it not appearing to work if that profile is closed.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @milesthibault and @timcharper,

Thanks for including your experience here! I've updated our issue tracker to include your thoughts - we very much appreciate your patience as our developers work to track this annoying bug down.

Happy Christmas :)

• narath_at_act
    narath_at_act
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Megan, also adding my vote to this as a problem for me. The profiles feature in chrome is very helpful for identity management (and protection) so would be great to have this working with 1Password. Awesome feature would be the ability to associate different vaults with different profiles

• Rez
    Rez
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I'd like to report a similar issue: When you have custom profile in Chrome (i.e. running chrome with arguments like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir="D:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data"), 1Password extension doesn't work, in precise terms doesn't connect to 1Password for Mac (or Windows) to unlock!

• johabb
    johabb
    Community Member
    Options

@Rez, I have the same problem. For what it is worth i hacked it together by creating a symlink to the default location that 1password is expecting. In my case the default location is the first parameter that is going to route to the second location.

mklink /j "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\google\Chrome\User Data\Default" "C:\new_location_data\Default"

• pre
    pre
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this? I'm still using 1Password 3 and I would really much like to upgrade. :)

• bbheinz
    bbheinz
    Community Member
    Options

Has this been updated? I just downloaded 1Password today after paying for it, and would be sorely disappointed if I learned this couldn't work across different Chrome profiles. I use 2 Chrome profiles to keep my Life vs Work computing separate, and I pretty much have the 2 profiles open all the time.

• brentrockwood
    brentrockwood
    Community Member
    Options

I also use profiles to separate work and play. I am ready to purchase, but cannot until this is fixed.

• peeja
    peeja
    Community Member
    Options

Well, shoot. I have the same issue. Feels a little like I just wasted my money…

• peeja
    peeja
    Community Member
    Options

I take it back. I had installed the Chrome extension from the Chrome Web Store, which gave me the 1Password 3 extension (which wouldn't connect to 1P4). With the correct extension installed, I can use 1P with multiple profiles as @joefitzgerald says: the shortcut doesn't work right, but it's possible to use the extension.

• Alessandro Mininno
    Alessandro Mininno
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem

This discussion has been closed.