Passwords for Excel files

Options
pomme4moi
pomme4moi
Community Member

Looking for advice. What category of 1Password item do you use to store Excel file passwords and encrypted disk passwords? I currently use the Secure Notes category for these passwords. But when I want to copy-and-paste one of these passwords, it would easier to copy the password if it were in a specific password field. But the Secure Notes template does not allow specific fields to be defined. What category type do other people use to store their Excel passwords in 1Password?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Databases. Allows easy selection and copy/paste of passwords from 1Password mini. Before that, I used the Login category.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

pomme4moi wrote:

What category of 1Password item do you use to store Excel file passwords and encrypted disk passwords?

I use the Apple Login Keychain for these. The advantage is that it will automatically fill in the password, eliminating the need for copy and paste.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Xe997 wrote:

Databases. Allows easy selection and copy/paste of passwords from 1Password mini. Before that, I used the Login category.

Where is the Databases category? I only have Logins, Secure Notes, Credit Cards, Identities, Passwords and Software Licenses.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

@DavidB

It doesn't show up in the sidebar if you have no items in that category. To create a new Database item, click the + button next to the search field, or choose "New item" from the File menu (or press cmd + N). Then you will see a menu with all 17 categories.

And I agree that it makes sense to use the standard OS X keychain for some items, like Time Machine encryption, because the disks are connected and disconnected on a regular basis. Still, I think it is wise to keep them in 1Password as well.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Xe997 wrote:

It doesn't show up in the sidebar if you have no items in that category. To create a new Database item, click the + button next to the search field, or choose "New item" from the File menu (or press cmd + N). Then you will see a menu with all 17 categories.

Thank you for this info--I had seen a lot of talk about the new categories in 1P 4 but had ignored it until now.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @DavidB, on @Xe997's behalf. :)

This discussion has been closed.