Migrating from pwSafe and/or PasswordSafe

Options
asieira
asieira
Community Member

Is there any way for current users of pwSafe and/or PasswordSafe to migrate existing credential databases on 1Password 4?

I saw an old post about this for 1Password 3, and decided to try it out. But could not find the required functionality on the demo/trial version of 1Password 4, as it seems to only allow imports of 1Password files now. :(

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @asieira.

Do you know if pwSafe and/or PasswordSafe are able to export their data, e.g. in CSV any other format that's compatible with 1Password 3 importers mentioned on the Importing Data into 1Password page? If you can get your data into one of those formats and export it into 1PIF format then 1Password 4 can import it. That method has been suggested in other topics, e.g.: here.

1Password 4 currently supports these import formats:

While we haven't finished working on 1P4 importers there are currently no plans to support directly importing data formats from other applications.

I hope that information is helpful.

• asieira
    asieira
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi, @sjk.

pwSafe is able to export to a tab-separated text file with the following fields:

Group/Title, Username, Password, URL, Created Time, Password Modified Time, Record Modified Time, Password Policy, Password Policy Name, History, e-mail, Symbols, Notes

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asieira,

Password Safe 3 is on the list of programs that 1Password 3 is capable of importing. If you download version 3 here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html, you can import your data into 1Password 3 and then export in .1pif format so that 1Password 4 can read it. :)

If you need further instructions, please see the posts @sjk linked to above.

• asieira
    asieira
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @megan,

Really, I'll have to install an older version and then upgrade? Why on earth didn't you keep this existing functionality in 1Password 4? Is this planned for future releases?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asieira,

I do apologize for the inconvenience here - I know it's a bit odd. Unfortunately, it's not a matter of keeping existing functionality, because 1Password 4 is not merely 1Password 3 polished up a bit, it's been completely re-written. Our developers are certainly hoping to improve the import tool in the future, but for now if you want to import all of your data in one fell swoop, your best bet is to do it via 1Password 3.

I'd like to make a suggestion though. One of the best ways to get to know a piece of software is by playing around inside it. Instead of performing an automatic import, you could spend a bit of time and manually import your most important information from PasswordSafe. Once the 'big items' are safely inside 1Password, you can slowly build up your 1Password database by allowing the browser extensions to save any new Logins that you fill (from your PasswordSafe database.) This process may not be immediate, but it might help you familiarize yourself with 1Password a lot more quickly. :)

This discussion has been closed.