iCloud sync issues between Mac 1Password 4 and 1Password 4 for iOS

Options
LoriL2
LoriL2
Community Member
edited November 2013 in iOS

Neither my iPhone or iPad will completely sync all of the passwords from my Mac 1Password 4 application over iCloud. I have 195 passwords and only 45 of them get synced.

I've tried uninstalling the iOS app on both devices as well as shutting down app and reopening but neither worked.

Thanks.
Lori

Comments

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

It's quite terrible. I updated 1Password a while ago and I realised that it was syncing data to my Mac (1Password 4) via iCloud. I deleted it, downloaded 1Password fresh off of the iOS App Store to no avail.

It was stuck on 'Checking iCloud'. I updated 1Password today (on the new installation), which says that there is no data in iCloud.

I have no idea what is going on.

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

I've deleted the app and redownloaded 1Password 4 from the iOS App Store. It's now stuck on 'Checking iCloud'. … What a sham.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @revenkyte,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been having difficulties syncing! I'd be happy to help you get sorted out here, but I'm going to need just a bit more information on your situation:

• What are the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently using 1Password?
    • What sync method are you trying to use?
    • Where is your current, most up-to-date data stored?

Once I know a bit more, it should be an easy matter getting you all sorted out. :)

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

1. Version numbers:

•1Password for Mac (Mac App Store version): Version 4.0.3 (402003)

•1Password for iOS (iOS App Store version): Version 4.3.1

•Mac: OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

•iOS: iOS 7.0

2. iCloud syncing

3. Mac

I previously was testing the (private?) beta version of 1Password 4 for Mac and the iCloud syncing worked perfectly for iOS (iPhone + iPad). I used AppCleaner and deleted the beta version and installed the full version from the Mac App Store, had a bit of an issue with the 1Password Safari extension, but it was all fixed (deleted 1Password Mini app process, restarted 1Password, and it worked again).

I think the issue of syncing was recent and might have transpired due to a software update on iOS and unrelated to the above disclosure regarding the beta usage.

I only realised that my data was not syncing when I was searching for the password for a particular website when I realised that it was not in it (I was absolutely positive that I entered it on the Mac version of 1Password) and then I looked at the total count of items between 1Password for Mac and iOS and there was a disparity of ~40 items.

I've had a browse around and I'm unsure as to whether my issue is the same as this one but I'm afraid I haven't gone through the thread.

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

Ideally this kind of situation should not transpire at all, especially in the event of an update. I haven't turned on automatic updating myself but this is perilous for those who have turned it on.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Stupid question...is "Documents & Data" turned on in the iCloud settings on your iOS devices and Macs. Needs to be for iCloud to work, which it is for me with MAS version 4.0.3 and iOS version 4.3.1.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @revenkyte,

Thanks so much for including those details! We don't really recommend using an app cleaner to remove 1Password, as it can get a bit overzealous. Just to be sure everything is where it should be with your current copy of 1Password, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan,
    I believe the issue lies with the iOS version of 1Password 4, not the Mac version. The Mac version is fine and functional – it was fixed.

I installed the update, as mentioned in my post, which killed off syncing. I deleted the app, reinstalled it, wouldn't sync. I downloaded the new update released recently, same issue, with this –

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

Same situation as Mozart, completely unrelated to 1Password 4 for Mac (hence no 1Password Troubleshooting utility needed, as it's on iOS).

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/17305/new-sync-old-data#latest

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

Strange. There are no sync problems for me for 1Password on my iPad, but there is definitely sync issues on my iPhone.

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like the issue is just with my iPhone. I had another iCloud app that had sync issues as well. I decided to upgrade to the latest version (as I was still on 7.0).

Sync issues have appeared to fix itself.

Strange.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @revenkyte,

I do understand that the sync problem appears on your iOS device, however, a Diagnostic Report from your main computer provides us with a lot more information than a report generated from your iOS device. :)

Edit: your other post seems to indicate that you're all sorted out - glad to hear it!

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid I still have issues and it appears that it only syncs up to a fraction of my entire 1Password library(?)/database.

My iCloud system appears to be completely dysfunctional, as Daedalus doesn't work (and 1Password works perfectly on iPad) either, with iCloud sync.

Can anyone advise as to how I can fix this? I've turned the 'Documents & Data' in Settings off and then back on, to no avail.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: New Sync, Old Data.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Solution for ver 4.3 sync problems? (iCloud and Dropbox?).
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @revenkyte. I've merged your posts about problems with iCloud syncing into a single topic so we have all the information together.

Having trouble using iCloud syncing with Daedalus in addition to 1Password 4 increases the chance of it being a more general "dysfunctional" (as you say) issue with iCloud on your iPhone. Have you noticed it's been failing or succeeding with any other apps? It does appear this is iPhone-specific if all 1P data is syncing properly between your Mac and iPad.

Please let me know if you're able to send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac. We'd still like to see it because, as @Megan previously mentioned:

I do understand that the sync problem appears on your iOS device, however, a Diagnostic Report from your main computer provides us with a lot more information than a report generated from your iOS device. :)

Instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Before suggesting certain changes to fix the problem on your iPhone, e.g. Resetting your 1Password data on iCloud, it's helpful for us to better understand the current state of 1Password on your Mac.

Thank you!

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @sjk, thanks for the reply. I've sent an email using the utility.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @revenkyte,

We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.

• Dan Ortego
    Dan Ortego
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth I have the same configuration as the originator to this thread with exception that I'm running Mavericks 10.9. My Mac and my iPad appear to be working fine (Sync) although my iPhone 5S with IOS 7 Sync is having the exact same problems as mentioned here.

• Dan Ortego
    Dan Ortego
    Community Member
    Options

more to say… I have deleted 1P for the iPhone and I reinstalled it to no avail, and I also performed a complete restore of my iPhone and the problem continues.

• Dan Ortego
    Dan Ortego
    Community Member
    Options

One more thing… I just sent my diagnostic report as recommended by Megan even though I'm just piggy-backing onto this thread.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Dan,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty getting iCloud synced up on your phone. Since you've sent an email in to support, we'll follow up with you directly there, to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LoriL2,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty getting iCloud to sync on your mobile devices. If your complete password database is stored on your Mac, I'd like you to try re-installing the apps again, with one added step - removing the 1Password data from iCloud. To start fresh, please try:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html
    • Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.
  • prsinopoli
    prsinopoli
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I too am having the same syncing problem for my iOS devices, 'No data found on iCloud' yet all of my Mavericks devices work fine and I can see my 1Password 4 datafile on iCloud.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prsinopoli,

I've got a few (really) basic things I'd like you to check for me. Could you please double-check that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all devices, and that 'Documents and Data' is enabled. If so, please check to see if iCloud is syncing any of your other apps.

Next, we're going to see if we can't give iCloud a little kickstart:

• Go to Settings > iCloud > "Documents & Data", toggle to off.
    • Delete 1Password for iOS.
    • Reboot your iOS device.
    • Reinstall 1P, but don't launch.
    • Back in Settings, toggle "Documents and Data" back on.
    • Wait 20 minutes to give data time to load onto device.
    • Launch 1Password.

Please let me know if these steps help!

• prsinopoli
    prsinopoli
    Community Member
    Options

Megan
    I followed your guidance to LoriL2 and now it appears my iOS device is connecting to iCloud but the datafile that's there is the one just created by the iOS device and not the one that had all my data in it. So, how do I now replace the ICloud datafile with the datafile from my iMac, which has all the data in it I need?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prsinopoli,

Could you please confirm that you are logged in to both your computer and your iOS device with the same iCloud account?

• LoriL2
    LoriL2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I'm using the following versions:

Mac:

• 1Password 4, Version 4.0.5 (405002)
    • Mac OS Mountain Lion 10.8.5

iPhone:

• 1Password 4, Version 4.3.1

iPad:

• 1Password 4, Version 4.3.1

My issue is that my neither my iPhone or iPad will completely sync all of the passwords from my Mac 1Password 4 application over iCloud. I have 195 passwords and only 45 of them get synced. I've tried uninstalling the iOS app on both devices as well as shutting down app and reopening but neither worked.

Thanks.
    Lori

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Lori ( @LoriL2 ),

Thanks for confirming your version information. Could you give my instructions in post #27 above a try? Sometimes iCloud needs a bit of a kickstart. :)

This discussion has been closed.