Maximum Shared Vaults

Options
londan
londan
Community Member

Hi,

Loving the new 1Password for Mac and the Shared Vaults -- though you should warn in BIG BOLD LETTERS on the purchase page that it's NOT yet compatible with our iOS app!! -- but just have one question: Is there a maximum number of Shared Vaults?

I have just over 20 clients that I need to share password data with and it would really help to have a separate shared vault for each client. Also, is there a limit as to how many users can access a shared vault? I have one client with 37 staff members and if the shared vault works then we might just want to share it with everyone.

Finally, is it possible to have just the shared vault in a configuration? For many users I'd prefer they didn't have their own vault, but just used the company's shared one.

Cheers, Dan

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @londan,

I'm so glad to hear that you're loving 1Password so far ... and I promise, we're working to get multiple vaults supported on other platforms just as soon as we can!

Is there a maximum number of Shared Vaults?

Nope, you should be able to create as many as you need!

Also, is there a limit as to how many users can access a shared vault?

No limit here either, just keep in mind that Secrets can't be unshared ;)

Finally, is it possible to have just the shared vault in a configuration?

At this point, it is only possible to share secondary vaults, so there must be a primary, non-shared vault for each user.

I hope this answers your questions, but if you need anything further, we're here to help! :)

• londan
    londan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

One thing I would say is that your Secrets can't be unshared post isn't completely correct. So long as you are the original sharer of the Dropbox folder containing the Shared Vault, then you can kick anyone out of the Dropbox folder at anytime. When you do so there's an option: "should they be able to keep a copy of these files?". If you set this to No then their copy of the Vault gets deleted. Of course they could have a copy elsewhere, but for most non-tech users this would suffice.

Cheers, Dan

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

@londan

Just to note: I currently have 12 vaults with no issue and have been running them since multiple vaults debuted on the beta.

• londan
    londan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks thightower. Going to start rolling out the shared vaults as soon as the supporting iOS app gets released. Waiting with baited breath!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @londan,

I'm glad to hear that you are aware of this option in Dropbox. However, many users may not be, and even if they are, it is rather simple for anyone who wishes to keep a copy of the 1Password.agilekeychain to do so prior to being kicked out of the Dropbox folder. This article is meant to encourage users to think carefully before sharing their sensitive data. Which is always a good practice. :)

This discussion has been closed.