Keep getting message "looking for 1Password app" in Safari if mini is not running in menu bar

Options
zx9r
zx9r
Community Member

Whenever I click the 1PW button on the Safari toolbar and the mini app is not running a new tab is opened with a message "Looking for 1Password app". This happens if the main 1PW app is running or not. Only difference is it doesn't happen when the mini app is on the desktop menu bar. And within a few seconds the mini app is back running on the menu bar despite my preference set to not have it running.

I don't want the mini app running in the background on my mac and I don't want it on my menu bar. Anyone else experience this?

(I haven't tried in other browsers yet)

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Post #2 in this thread might help you.

Stephen

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen -- I saw that one. Does help with half of my issue (hides it on the menu bar) but not the other half that it actually has to be running in the background all the time. In general, I avoid any apps that load on boot up and run in the background. Never have any reliability or unexpected behavior for years running this way.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

To the best of my knowledge, 1Password mini and the browser extensions are the same under the hood. If you kill mini altogether, the extensions die too.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member
    Options

you appear to be right hawkmoth. I didn't know that browser extensions were allowed to live outside of the browser...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @zx9r.

Summarizing what @Stephen_C and @hawkmoth have already mentioned …

1P mini can be used without installing any 1P4 web browser extensions, while 1P4 web browser extension usage requires 1P mini. :)

This discussion has been closed.