Import mail and ftp accounts from Excel or text

Options

Is there a way to import a list of e-mail, ftp and www accounts from excel or a text file? I have them in separate list.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If your copy of Excel can "save as" Comma Separated Values (.csv) you could try importing that file into 1P4, because 1P4 supports .csv import.

Stephen

• Merijn van der Linden
    Options

But what is the best way to format my .CSV file for importing FTP accounts? If I try to import I see only 4 options; Login, Credit Card, Software License and Secure Note. Importing as a login does not work. It gives me one login account (not a FTP account) with all data from the csv file in the notes field. The other three options are in my opinion not mentioned for import of FTP accounts.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi, Merijn.

Login items are currently the preferred location for importing FTP account information, especially with FTP Account items converted to Login items when upgrading from 1P3 to 1P4. As @MikeT wrote:

The Accounts group [from 1P3] is gone, some of the categories in Accounts are their own sidebar categories but many of the categories have been converted into Logins, such as FTP, Generic Accounts, and so on.

The CSV import format for Login items uses the first five fields as values for specific Login item fields. All the CSV fields will be in the Item's notes fields, labeled like in this image:

That was created from importing this CSV input:

my item, http://example.com, user, pass, hello, extra1, extra2

After importing you can manually add custom fields to an item.

We're still working on improvements for 1P4 importers and oft-requested custom categories/templates are certainly a possibility,

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi, Merijn.

Following up to my previous reply, I want to mention that we now have a document that describes the CSV format that the 1Password 4 importer recognizes:

How can I import data from another application?

One strategy is to create a new vault, then import data into that secondary vault and use it to populate the primary vault. Sending items between vaults can help with data migration from the imported to primary vault, cleaning it up as you go along.

This discussion has been closed.