Generated password not stored.

Options
FaZant
FaZant
Community Member

A website I have been using with PW for years suddenly wants a more secure Password. I use the generate function of PW4 however at login days later I find that this hasn't been stored by PW4. It still contains the old password.
What did I do wrong?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Can you find the generated password in the Passwords category? That's where generated passwords not specifically associated with a saved login go.

Stephen

• FaZant
    FaZant
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! They are stored under No active App (translated from German). There are several there. What am I doing wrong. I want and sometimes have to change the current password to something complicated.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@FaZant, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Some people seem to have had problems trying to update existing logins. As I haven't needed to do that I have not come across the problem personally. If you generate a new password which is not saved with a login it will end up in the Passwords category—which suggests to me that your attempt to modify an existing login failed.

Sorry not to be more helpful!

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FaZant,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I'm so glad @Stephen_C's suggestion helped you to find your generated password. We are working to make 1Password more intuitive at recognizing 'change password' screens, but for now, if 1Password does not prompt you to update your existing Login, the best workflow is to immediately update the Login manually. By default, 1Password will copy your generated password to the clipboard when it fills the fields, so it's a simple step to open your Login and update the password.

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions, please let me know! :)

This discussion has been closed.