sjk
1Password Alumni

Comments

• GoShawn
    GoShawn
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I have a question. I am assuming auto fill and auto submit are defined as follows:

• Auto Fill - a website that has user and password fields appears and 1P4 is supposed to auto-magically enter the details with out user need to enter hotkeys, or use the browser extension or 1P4 mini.

• Auto Submit means that after the data is entered in the fields, 1P4 will auto-magically find and click the submit/sign on button on the page.

Assuming the above is accurate, I can say that 1P4 for Safari, Chrome or Firefox on ANY of my Mavericks installations (Mac Pro and 2 MacBook Pros) is not working as defined above.

Using the keyboard short cut (CMD+|) or using the browser extensions and 1P4 Mini to find the site and fill/submit the needed credentials does work. It just doesn't do the auto fill part.

Is 1P4 supposed to Auto Fill? I am guessing yes, based on all the other comments in this thread and others that I have gone through.

Uninstalled and reinstalled several times and have also disabled and re-enabled the extension in Safari as well.

I've also verified that there is nothing weird or funny in my /etc/hosts file. localhost is defined as 127.0.0.1.

I've generated the Diagnostic report and sent it in as well.

Here are my system details:

MacPro 3,1 running OS X Mavericks OS X 10.9 (13A603) with 12GB RAM and 2 x3GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeons.

Extension Version - Safari 1P4 browser extension 4.0.1; Google Chrome Exension Version 4.0.1.99; Firefox Extension Version 4.01. (updated on 10-25-13)

Unsupported Browser - NO, running Safari Version 7.0 (9537.71), Google Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101, and Firefox 25.0

Anti-Malware - confirmed NOT using Sophos or ESET 32 (never had either of these installed, ever.). At one point I had Little Snitch installed and have since uninstalled, rebooted, etc. OS X firewall is also off.

Browser location - confirmed NOT using Mac App Store version of 1Password. Purchased directly from AgileBits website. All browsers mentioned above are installed in /Applications.

However, my user directory is on another drive in my MacPro. On my MacBook Pros, there is only a single drive.

Websocket - Firefox has websockets enabled.

Using a proxy, or proxy browser extension - No proxy or proxy browser extension.

Using a VPN client - I don't use a VPN client

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @GoShawn. Thanks for your detailed posting and sending us a diagnostics report.

Let's start with these definitions:

Autofill — Safari has an autofill feature where, if you've stored credentials in the OS X Keychain, Safari will automatically fill the details for a login on the page when you navigate there. This happens automatically, and 1Password does not behave this way. 1Password only ever fills in response to an explicit user action, such as login filling, Go & Fill, a 1Click bookmark (These invoke Go & Fill), or similar.

Autosubmit — Depending on the user's settings, 1Password might try to submit the login form after a "fill login" or "go & fill" operation

Plus some supporting ones:

Login filling or 1Password fill — When the user has manually navigated to a login page and chooses a login from the list of logins that match the current page.

Go & Fill — When the user invokes a login that doesn't match the current page from 1Password mini or any login from the main 1Password application. This causes the browser to go to the page and attempt to fill the requested credentials.

1Click Bookmark — This is a bookmark the user can save with a special parameter tacked onto the end that contains the UUID of an item 1Password should fill on the destination page. These can be created by dragging a login from the main application to the browser's bookmarks bar or another convenient place like OmniFocus.

And now to your issue:

Using the keyboard short cut (CMD+|) or using the browser extensions and 1P4 Mini to find the site and fill/submit the needed credentials does work. It just doesn't do the auto fill part.

That sounds like the correct and intended behavior based on the definition of Autofill for 1Password, i.e. "[it] only ever fills in response to an explicit user action".

Is 1P4 supposed to Auto Fill? I am guessing yes, based on all the other comments in this thread and others that I have gone through.

Yes, and it does, just not in the same way Safari's AutoFill does when navigating to a page. And Safari AutoFill lacks the Autofill capability that 1Password offers.

I hope that information is helpful and addresses your issue. Please let me know if you're having trouble with anything else so I can help you resolve it. Thanks!

• GoShawn
    GoShawn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @SJK! I didn't know for sure how 1P4 defined auto-fill. Based on your detailed descriptions above, my 1P4 installations across all browsers on all my Macs are working properly.

That being said, I've looked around the forums for a few days before writing my question because I couldn't find anything that defined auto-fill. This, IMHO, would be a great topic for a sticky somewhere, and would also be a nice selling point over browser based password filling in Safari, and other tools that offer the automatic, auto fill...

Again, thanks for clearing it all up. If you can point me to any forum post where this info is posted, that would help me feel,less like a dufus!! :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Always my pleasure to help, @GoShawn.

After posting those 1Password definitions I mentioned to their author I'd "borrowed" them for a forum reply. Turns out only a day earlier there'd been discussion of publicly publishing a 1Password glossary so your similar suggestion was particularly well timed and you surely can't be a dufus for not finding what doesn't exist yet. :)

In the mean time I've split this discussion into its own topic, hopefully making it a bit easier to find than where it was previously buried.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.