Rich Icons for the iPad?

Options
dfensom
dfensom
Community Member

Hi Agile Bits.

I have just recently purchased 1Password 4 for all of my computers (Mac, iOS & Windows). I am a little confused about why some of the programs show Rich Icons, and others don't?

My Windows program seems to be the most successful. You seem to be able to 'Refresh' the icons yourself. Out of the 50 or so Logons I have, I would say only about 5 or them are generic Icons. This 'refresh' function doesn't appear to be present of the other versions of the software.

The Mac is a little less successful. Maybe 10 - 15 icons are generic.

With iOS, I get no rich icons at all ! (the settings have all been checked).

It confuses me how the rich icons work. For a future release, would it be possible to upload your own icons, for ones that are missing, or maybe submit them to some kind of database, so that others can take advantage of them?

Just for info, I am running the latest version of 1Password 4 on all of the O/S (Betas included).

Thanks. David

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I add custom icons myself to the database on my Mac. They then sync over to the iOS installations. To do that, select Edit for the record you want to modify on the desktop, drag your chosen icon to the icon field in that record, then Save.

There seems not to be a way to add icons directly to the iOS apps, though, same is true for attachments, which also need to be added from the desktop and then synced to iOS.

• dfensom
    dfensom
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll give that a go. However, one thing confuses me. Why haven't I got any rich icons on any of my iOS devices, even though they are on my mac? I would have expected the ones that where there, to synch across to the iPad/iPhone, if what you say is correct?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Not to insult, but there is an option in the iOS app to turn rich icons on or off. I see that you said in your original post that you have that on. Have you tried toggling it off, completely quitting the app, then restarting and toggling it back on?

Otherwise, I don't know why you wouldn't seen the server-provided rich icons. I have not seen that issue myself.

• dfensom
    dfensom
    Community Member
    Options

Well, wouldn't you know. Logged into my iPhone this morning and saw that there was an update for 1Password4!

One of the fixes was:

• Fixed a problem causing the rich icons to now show.

I've installed it and it's now working great :-)

Thanks Hawkmoth, for the info about manually assigning the icons though. I didn't know you could do that.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

By comparison to my iPhone 5, 1PW 4.2.3 on my iPad Air is only partially populating the rich icons. I've restarted 1PW several times (as well as toggling the Show Icons setting) and none of the remaining generics (as compared to my iPhone where those icons are rich icons) have changed.

Is there something else I can try?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dfensom,

I'm glad to hear that the update (and @hawkmoth) got you all sorted out!

@pbGuy,

I'm sure this was a typo, but the latest version of 1Password 4 for iOS is 4.3.2. Please make sure you've got your software updated on all devices. :) Now we are still working on building our icon database, so you might not see all of the icons immediately, but we're doing our best to get them sorted just as soon as possible.

If you are still seeing a discrepancy between iPad and iPhone rich icons, could you please give me a few example sites so that we could test them out on our end?

Many thanks!

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Yes, my prior version reference reversed the 2 digits. I'm using 4.3.2.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Here are some site names where I'm getting generic icons on my iPad (but have a rich icon on my iPhone) -

Alaska Air, CNBC, Home Depot, Instapaper, LL Bean, Seeking Alpha, USAA

Here are some that are not getting rich icons at all -

Alibris Books, Amtrak, Griffin Technology, Taxi Magic, US Bank, Washington Post, Yelp, Zinio

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pbGuy,

Thanks for sending those sites along to us. Because we're still working on building the image library, you will occasionally run into sites that do not display the rich icons, and there are rare cases where not all sizes of icon are available, which is why you might see icons in the main app but not on the mobile.

However, we did have a bit of a server glitch yesterday. Could you try that old trick of toggling 'Enable Rich Icons' one more time and see if you get any updates?

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Toggling resulted in no changes, at least on this attempt.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @pbGuy,

I'm sorry to hear that. I have passed the issue (including the specific sites you mentioned) along to our tech gurus, and they're looking into it. Hopefully we can get some more icons for you soon!

Edit:
    That was quick! Our tech gurus have already managed to track the issue down ... (something about subdomain stripping) and they're working on getting things straightened out. Thanks for your patience :)

This discussion has been closed.