Sometimes takes two tries to get one login to work

Options
diitto
diitto
Community Member

What follows isn't something new with 1Password 4. I've been noticing this for years going well back at least into 1Password 3. Now and then (but certainly not all the time), I will double click on one of my logins, say for some bank site, the URL will open but the username and password will NOT fill in and the page will not continue to load. I've learned a trick which is to simply close that page (quit it, kill it, whatever) and do precisely the same double click of the login a second time. Almost without exception, the second time I load the page, it autocompletes the username and password and loads the subsequent page. It works so well for me that anytime I see a page leave those two fields blank, rather than fill them in manually or copy/paste, I find it quicker to kill that page and just do the double click of the 1Password login again. Now, not all logins do this all the time. But some do it some of the time. Why would that be??? Why would a login not autocomplete on a first try but almost always do so on a second try???

Curious... bob...

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bob ( @diitto ),

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your question! I do apologize for the delay in responding - the release of 1Password 4 for Mac has had us all a bit busy here, but we're all working extra hours to get all caught up.

Now, this is curious. I'd love to get a bit more information on this issue:

• Does this happen consistently for particular sites, or is it random across all of your Logins?
    • What browser are you using?
    • Is your browser open or closed when you first double-click the Login?

If you do notice this again, our tech gurus would appreciate it if you would create a Diagnostics Report and send it in. This will give us a good peek at what's happening behind the scenes.

Please download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we might have better ideas on what is going on here. Thanks in advance!

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Wow... As I said above, this is a rather old problem for me so I was expecting you guys would have heard of it many times over say the recent 2-3 years if not longer. I'm only reporting it now cause as I said, I finally got curious enough to ask. Of your three questions above the only one I can answer definitively today is the second one. The browser I use is Safari. I make tons of PDFs all the time and I've found that Safari does this task better than does Firefox. Othewise, I would likely use Firefox... But the answer you care about is Safari. I can also, I guess, answer the first part of the first question you posed. It is certainly NOT consistent for any given site. Two sites which I access often are two Credit Card sites. Those two sites will work just fine most of the time. Then, seemingly out of the blue, I double click the login again, say maybe 1 out of 5 or 10 times (a guess but it is certainly more often than say 1 in a 100), the screen switches to the Safari screen (I use what used to be called Spaces, now it is part of Mission Control) which simply means the login is calling Safari, either Safari opens if it wasn't already open or a new Tab opens in Safari if it was already open, the page loads just fine but the username and password simply remain blank. I will now pay some attention over the next few weeks to see if I can generate better answers to your #1 and #3 questions. One other point I would make that I bet matters. I don't EVER RECALLL having to do this a third time, meaning it loads with blank username and password twice. It never does that. If it fails to load username and password on the first try, I am always sort of amazed that it seems to NEVER fail on the second time, as if something from that first go carried over to the second??? Even if I quit Safari altogether??? That's likely a bit of a stretch. Anyway, I will gather some harder data and pass that along one day. It will take a little while cause like I said this doesn't happen all the time. I'll get back to you... thanks... bob...

• u2jimbo
    u2jimbo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a new user of 1Password 4. Started at the beginning of this month. However, I have already recognized this behavior. I don't even 'kill' the page I am on, I simply click on the same login item, again. I have also never had to try to open the site a third time. I don't have enough experience, yet, to answer the question: is it random. Only know that it happens often enough that in ~3 weeks I have become aware of it as a shortcut. I assumed I had configured a particular website login item(s) improperly. I figured I had been bugging the forum so much I would wait a while to raise the issue and ask for more instruction; but, when Ditto raised the issue I immediately recognized it.

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi u2jimbo... Interesting that you've noticed this too... As I said above, for me this isn't new. It's been around certainly well back into 1Password 3, I would say for at least the last year or two (if not longer). I'm just now getting curious enough to ask about it... I also noticed that you, like me, have noticed that you NEVER have to do this a third time. The first time usually works but if not, the second time ALWAYS works. I've always thought that was pretty interesting, as if the second try gets some information about the first try and says, "oh, yeah, time to work now". Interesting... thanks for adding your similar experience... bob...

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    Options

This is exactly the same issue I posted in "Excessive number of auto-fill and submit failures". These guys describe it very well. It has been around for a while. u2jimbo is correct that there is no need to kill the page, just click the login again in the mini. Maybe add a few milliseconds before filling to give the page a chance to completely render. It always works the second time because the page is cached and doesn't need time to download. (my guess)

• u2jimbo
    u2jimbo
    Community Member
    Options

Just to keep this in peoples minds - I just tried to set up a new Login for a website I have had an account for: Bhphotovideo. The login is a secure site (http://). When I click on the 1Password Mini app for this web site it opens the site, fills in the username and password then the little spinning timer starts spinning over the Login button. I have two choices: 1. click on the login button which takes me into my account ready to shop, or 2. click on the mini app Item for Bhphotovideo which will also take me into my account ready to shop. I have tried this a number of times, and I am always confronted with the spinning timer requiring a second action (Login button or Mini App). I have not needed a third effort to open the site.

This behavior is not unusual among all my Items.

Jim

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

U2jimbo wrote:

I just tried to set up a new Login for a website I have had an account for: Bhphotovideo

Coincidentally I have a different problem with that site, which I also have with other sites:

If I am in 1Password (4.0.9, Agile website version; Safari 6.1, OS X 10.8.5), select the Login and enter the shortcut Command-Option-Return (or select the Login from 1P Mini), the site opens, but I then have to manually click "Welcome, Login/Register" to bring up the Login screen. If I then press Command-\, my e-mail address and password are filled in but I get the error message, "Please enter an email address" and "Please enter a password." If I copy and paste my e-mail address and password, I am immediately logged in.

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Update:

If I uncheck 'Animate form filling" in 1Password 4 > Preferences > Browser (which I had seen mentioned in some other threads, but thought only applied to 10.9), my Login information is accepted normally. I still have to click "Welcome, Login/Register" to bring up the login screen though.

• u2jimbo
    u2jimbo
    Community Member
    Options

Weird. I just tried logging in again via 1Password Mini and it took me right in...thats the first time.

• Hi @2ujimbo,

That's good news. If you see it happen again, try what DavidB suggested, turning off the Animate Form Filling in 1Password's Browser Preferences.

@David_C, same here, I'd suggest trying that.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    Options

This doesn't help me. My "Animate Form Filling" has always been off. 2 logins TODAY did not auto-fill. Chase bank and Capital One. They both worked the second time.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

That's good news. If you see it happen again, try what DavidB suggested, turning off the Animate Form Filling in 1Password's Browser Preferences.

@David_C, same here, I'd suggest trying that.

Thank you for the suggestion, but not sure I follow--that is what I tried, with the results that I posted.

David

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

I said I would start posting examples. Today I had my first two events in a while, back to back (that might be interesting). The first was on what I will call Bank1. This login only puts up the userid and then I have to go to another page fo the password. That's all well and good. But it usually populates the userid for me and then waits for me. Today, it did NOT fill in the userid. I closed that page (it always bothers me as to what might be happening to my login that might be out of my control), double clicked the login again and as always, on this second try it populated the userid as it should have on the first try. Shortly thereafter, I then went to what I will call bank2. And I saw a problem I don't recall seeing before. The usual problem is for the userid and password (this bank2 site does both on the same page) simply not populate. Then I launch the login a second time and it always works. Today, however, I clicked the login, it DID populate both the userid and the password but then I heard the Mac/Safari BONK which was telling me there was some sort of error. I simply closed the page, launched the login again, and as many here state, it worked correctly, as it always does, on the second attempt. I intentionally chose not to list what bank1 or bank2 actually are but if some agilebits person has a good reason for needing those specifics, holler and we can chat. thanks... I will keep watching and posting. bob...

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same experience.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

This is a known issue that our developers are looking into. Can any of you confirm that 1Password fails to fill the first time under these conditions:

• When the browser is closed before invoking the 'Go and Fill'
    • With 'Animate Form Filling' is enabled

These are two of the main 'culprits' that we are currently investigating. If there are any other reliable instances when 1Password fails to fill (for example, if it always fails the first time using xyz.com, please let us know the URL so we can run some tests on our end.) The more information we have about this issue, the better we'll be able to track it down!

This discussion has been closed.