Reset Master Password

Options
Tom Saving
Tom Saving
Community Member

Please help. Although, I know I'm retyping the password correctly I am not able to unlock.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

What error message do you get? Are you using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits store version? Do you already have information saved in the version of 1P4 you can't unlock?

Stephen

• Tom Saving
    Tom Saving
    Community Member
    Options

I don't get a message the box rattles, if you know what I mean. Eventually my hint comes up. I purchased through the Mac App Store. I have limited information saved in 1P4. I've been reading through some of the blogs and they discuss going to preferences I don't see that as an option on this version. I am on the new Maverick.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to ask, but are you sure it's not something like accidentally having caps lock on? If you have a backup and can't find any other solution you might want to start over (you can always download free of charge from the Mac App Store something you have already bought, as you probably know.)

Are you by any chance using any special characters (like accented characters) in your master password? If so, see post #3 in this thread for a carefully considered post that strongly discourages that.

Stephen

• dfensom
    dfensom
    Community Member
    Options

How long have you been using it for? Maybe you had Caps Lock on, or number lock on when you input your password? Try typing it with both these on and off and see if it makes a difference. Also, type your password in notepad, just to make sure that the keyboard is typing what you think it's supposed to be typing. Could be a keyboard fault - long shot, but I've seen it happen.

• Tom Saving
    Tom Saving
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I found the preferences. It says I'm entering the wrong password when I try to change the master.

• Tom Saving
    Tom Saving
    Community Member
    Options

Responding to #4. Check caps lock and number lock and still unable to get in. No special characters. Is there a length limit? I'm getting ready to reload.

Responding to #5. Brand new user today. Tried the note pad and looked right.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There are still things I'm not understanding. How did you get to preferences (presumably in 1P4) if you can't unlock it?

Stephen

• If the password is not being accepted, it's probably not entered 100% correctly. Have you changed your master password recently?

Did you try all the tips from this page:

What do I do if I forgot my master password?

(1Password 3 specific, but same idea.)

I would also try restoring your data file to one of your backups. File > Restore

• @Stephen_C You can still get to preferences in 1Password 4 when it's locked. In menu bar, 1Password 4 > Preferences

• Tom Saving
    Tom Saving
    Community Member
    Options

JasperP I'm a brand new user without a backup to restore. The app store is not giving me the option to re install.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks @JasperP, I didn't realise that.

I am still completely foxed by the original poster's problem. Don't know what else to suggest. I guess even any auto backup from the app (if there is one) is going to be encrypted by the same master password so re-installation (with, presumably, a new master password) is not going to give access to that (even if it exists).

Edit: there will be an option to reinstall only if you have already deleted 1P4, I believe.

Stephen

• Tom Saving
    Tom Saving
    Community Member
    Options

the re-install didn't work. I trashed the app but that didn't do anything. How do I delete this monster!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

You more than likely just removed the app ?

I know its been stated above but since I had it handy. :D

To start over please see this help topic. http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/start-over.html Rather than simply remove the data I would place it in a zip file and keep it in a safe place should you remember the password. You need to remove the database files which are indicated in the help document.

I saw another thread a while back where a new Mac App Store user reported the Master Password was truncated to 18 characters. I personally have never seen this in 5+ years around 1Password. But having said that would you mind trying just the first 18 if your password is that long ?

@Stephen_C

Some of the preferences are available to change even if 1Password is locked. Things that would affect security require you to unlock 1Password before being able to continue.

• Tom Saving
    Tom Saving
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I didn't get a chance to try that. The password was longer than 18 and I have to say it appear to stop typing in the sign on.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe we need to get to the bottom of this "18 character limit" for the master password. It cropped up here as well, a few days ago and search reveals some other odd references to the mysterious "18". But, @thightower, you mentioned in that thread you'd "easily breached the 30 character limit on the Master Password", so it does seem the 18 character business is something of a myth. (By the way, thanks for the further explanation about preferences when 1P is locked.)

It would be interesting to have an authoritative statement on whether there is in fact a character limit for master passwords and, if so, what it is.

I'm still completely baffled by the original poster's problem, I'm afraid.

Stephen

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

@Stephen_C

Maybe we need to get to the bottom of this "18 character limit" for the master password.

Yep, hence asking if this poster could reproduce it. :)

@thightower, you mentioned in that thread you'd "easily breached the 30 character limit on the Master Password"

Yep

so it does seem the 18 character business is something of a myth

AFAIK yes it is.

It would be interesting to have an authoritative statement on whether there is in fact a character limit for master passwords and, if so, what it is.

As in the other thread I don't think there is one (a limit). Could be wrong. I am wondering is it some kind of weird bug. As mentioned in the other one. Mine has been setup for ever so maybe I wouldn't see it. But then again I run the beta's and things get by me as my config, usage is different from others etc.

Just for the record, I have 1Password setup in a few virtual machines and I haven't been able to reproduce this from any version, from either the Mac App Store or the web store.

I'm still completely baffled by the original poster's problem, I'm afraid.

Thinking about it since getting a few hours sleep. I wonder was it a sync issue, sometimes folks try to open the vault on another Mac when the keychain is not fully synced and this may cause the error. I have seen this trip a few folks up. Again thinking out loud here.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

T-Dog, thanks for the thoughts: appreciated.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Tom,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

It looks thought like @Stephen_C and @thightower were giving some pretty good advice. Did you have luck starting fresh?

I'd just like to confirm what has been said previously, there is no limit on the length of your Master Password. We do however recommend that you use only ASCII characters, as the mobile versions of 1Password won't recognize fancy accented characters or cyrillic. :)

This discussion has been closed.